Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yay new thread

We should trade for a third line forward and a backup goalie. Andrighetto+Bernier???

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder what's up with Budaj. Since coming over to Tampa last season he hasn't really been good: .898 SV% and 2.80 GAA in 7 games last season, .878 SV% and 3.67 GAA in 6 games this season. Sure he's 35 now but he's had .917 SV% and 2.12 GAA in 53 games for the Kings last season. Just not a good match with our system? Bad luck and small sample size?

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I wonder what's up with Budaj. Since coming over to Tampa last season he hasn't really been good: .898 SV% and 2.80 GAA in 7 games last season, .878 SV% and 3.67 GAA in 6 games this season. Sure he's 35 now but he's had .917 SV% and 2.12 GAA in 53 games for the Kings last season. Just not a good match with our system? Bad luck and small sample size?

If I remember correctly, he was trending down after the hot start already when we traded for him. He can easily be better than he has been but he's always been pretty hot and cold.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
In early December we ranked 8th on the PK, we now sit at 22th (78.5%). Talking about stats we suck in: We're now 29th on faceoffs (46.9%), only Colorado is worse.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017

I was under the impression the Kings went all-out on D when he was in net. Whereas we play a more run-n-gun style now and expect our tenders to do their job.
It would be like doing the Drouin for Serg trade over again. Drouin would start scoring more here, and Serg's offensive numbers would go WAYY down there; they wouldn't put him in favorable situations and couldn't protect his rookie mistakes with a Stralman-savior.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Budaj just hasn't been very good. I'm willing to be patient so long as we keep winning but if this guy can't muster at least a few good games beginning immediately then I'm not going to want to wait around anymore. We need to be certain that if Vasy gets hurt this whole season is not going to go up in smoke. I have little to no confidence in Budaj restoring order.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Kane seems like the clear cut top option. He would immediately make the 3rd line dangerous and is quite capable of playing in our top 6 if needed.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Regarding face offs, do the Lightning have players that are below their career averages or have they always sucked in this area?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Kane seems like the clear cut top option. He would immediately make the 3rd line dangerous and is quite capable of playing in our top 6 if needed.

There is no way that Steve Yzerman lets someone who can't keep his nose clean near our locker room if even just for a playoff run. Maybe someone else will take a run at him but I sincerely doubt it's going to be us.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If it worked cap-wise, Flip in a much reduced role would probably be okay. My only reservation is whether or not Coop would keep that role reduced.

That's a big part of my reluctance to bring him back. I stand by my statement that he was used excessively and the Point/Gourde combo filling the void did us wonder right off the bat. If we were sure that Flip was glued to the 4th line, that might work, but my biggest fear is to see Cooper giving him a greater role at the expense of Gourde, for example.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I'd like to bring a different name into the discussion. Tobias Rieder.IMO we don't really need another top6 forward playing a third line role. We have 8 top6 forwards already.

Rieder plays the game the right way.With IQ, hustle, good hands and a non stop motor. He is great at the PK and IMO could flourish in our system. He is in a very bad situation in ARZ and I think he could be playing on 15-25-40 point pace on our third line.

He is not somebody I would try at TD but rather early in January to see wether he works out or not. I guess he could be had for a 3rd rounder + Brown/Conacher/B-Level Prospect (Thomas for example)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd like to bring a different name into the discussion. Tobias Rieder.IMO we don't really need another top6 forward playing a third line role. We have 8 top6 forwards already.

Rieder plays the game the right way.With IQ, hustle, good hands and a non stop motor. He is great at the PK and IMO could flourish in our system. He is in a very bad situation in ARZ and I think he could be playing on 15-25-40 point pace on our third line.

He is not somebody I would try at TD but rather early in January to see wether he works out or not. I guess he could be had for a 3rd rounder + Brown/Conacher/B-Level Prospect (Thomas for example)

He's an RFA, we aren't getting him that cheap even if he's having a down year. They'll want something like Koekkoek + 3rd for Reider + 5th or if they want a prospect someone closer to Stephens or Joseph than a Thomas +. I don't think he's worth moving those pieces for just yet. Rather give a Cirelli, Joseph or Volkov a look instead.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Toby would be a nice pickup but he's an RFA. From a purely rental standpoint it doesn't work. For as much as I'd love to have the kid, we have too many players coming up the pipeline to invest in a young player like that. You don't trade for Toby and not bring him back. But at the same time there's players in Syracuse who are dying to get up here. All it does is screw over the hard work being done by the players in the AHL.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'd also rather give some of our AHL guys a chance at the moment.

BTW, Lightning are practicing in Brandon today at noon and it's open to the public if anyone has the time off. Since I'm a teacher on Christmas break, I'm there. :D

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Budaj just hasn't been very good. I'm willing to be patient so long as we keep winning but if this guy can't muster at least a few good games beginning immediately then I'm not going to want to wait around anymore. We need to be certain that if Vasy gets hurt this whole season is not going to go up in smoke. I have little to no confidence in Budaj restoring order.

Always looks like it takes Budaj a period or so just to get in the game. The display against the avalanche was pathetic to say the least. Wondering though who we could bring in and what would it cost? I know we traded for Domingue but he wasn't great when he was with the coyotes.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Always looks like it takes Budaj a period or so just to get in the game. The display against the avalanche was pathetic to say the least. Wondering though who we could bring in and what would it cost? I know we traded for Domingue but he wasn't great when he was with the coyotes.

That's a really difficult question to ask because I don't think there's too many guys who want to go to a team knowing he's going to be a backup. You fist start with teams you know for a fact are not making the playoffs. Teams like Buffalo, Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Ottawa, Philadelphia and Vancouver. It leaves you with the likes of Chad Johnson, Jonathan Bernier, Scott Wedgewood, James Reimer, Mike Condon, Michal Neuvirth and Anders Nilsson. None of them jump out as fantastic options and the bulk of them are on multi-year deals.

As hard as it sounds it might be best to stick with Budaj unless it is Domingue who steps up to the plate because out of everyone on that list Condon is the only guy I'd take if you put a gun to my head because he can sometimes steal a game.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He had a strong game last night, him Killorn and Gourde have got something going on the 3rd line. Although I still think he should be sat every couple games. It wouldn't hurt to go 11-7 here and there and play Gourde with Palat-Point once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad