Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Need a quick 4th line centerman to win draws more than we need a 3RW. We have enough scoring depth.

4th line center, a backup and staying healthy and I can't see us stopping this train until we celebrate with the cup in the summer.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Need a quick 4th line centerman to win draws more than we need a 3RW. We have enough scoring depth.

4th line center, a backup and staying healthy and I can't see us stopping this train until we celebrate with the cup in the summer.
I'd love to bring Thompson back. 56,9% on faceoffs this year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd be very much in favor of Thompson coming back. Putting him with Kunitz and Callahan would be the closest thing to hell on ice that we've ever seen. I'd be in favor of Glendening as well. He'd anchor the 4th line for years to come because he's under contract for a few more years. I'm still having nightmares about what he did to Tyler Johnson a few years ago. Either of those moves has my full support because both are proficient defensively, good at faceoffs, a little bit chippy and would play well with Kunitz and Callahan. I can't say I like it (but it's a necessary evil of the game) but for all the skill we have, we don't really have a guy that would stroll right up to someone like Auston Matthews and give him a glove to the jaw just to throw him off. Glenending in particular is almost fearless in that regard.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
He had a strong game last night, him Killorn and Gourde have got something going on the 3rd line. Although I still think he should be sat every couple games. It wouldn't hurt to go 11-7 here and there and play Gourde with Palat-Point once in a while.
Sit him when we go 11/7 and play Paquette and Brown ? Also where would Johnson go when Gourde plays with Point ? Johnson is far superior to Gourde and should have always been in the top 6.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I'd be very much in favor of Thompson coming back. Putting him with Kunitz and Callahan would be the closest thing to hell on ice that we've ever seen. I'd be in favor of Glendening as well. He'd anchor the 4th line for years to come because he's under contract for a few more years. I'm still having nightmares about what he did to Tyler Johnson a few years ago. Either of those moves has my full support because both are proficient defensively, good at faceoffs, a little bit chippy and would play well with Kunitz and Callahan. I can't say I like it (but it's a necessary evil of the game) but for all the skill we have, we don't really have a guy that would stroll right up to someone like Auston Matthews and give him a glove to the jaw just to throw him off. Glenending in particular is almost fearless in that regard.

That was so overblown. Johnson was playing lights out even before Glendening got hurt.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sit him when we go 11/7 and play Paquette and Brown ? Also where would Johnson go when Gourde plays with Point ? Johnson is far superior to Gourde and should have always been in the top 6.

huh? Paquette is a center why does it matter? Paquette will always have a spot over Conacher they aren't playing for the same position, and 11 forwards means neither Brown or Conacher plays...

Johnson moving to Points line hasn't made them any more dangerous than when Gourde was there, it's a good mixup once in awhile. Johnson is superior to Gourde that Gourde can handle his own line while Johnson couldn't. As far as we're seeing Gourde is capable of playing with anyone in this lineup whereas Johnson needs to be specifically catered to in order to produce. No question who's been the better player this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
huh? Paquette is a center why does it matter? Paquette will always have a spot over Conacher they aren't playing for the same position, and 11 forwards means neither Brown or Conacher plays...

Johnson moving to Points line hasn't made them any more dangerous than when Gourde was there, it's a good mixup once in awhile. Johnson is superior to Gourde that Gourde can handle his own line while Johnson couldn't. As far as we're seeing Gourde is capable of playing with anyone in this lineup whereas Johnson needs to be specifically catered to in order to produce. No question who's been the better player this year.

If I'm not mistaken, Johnson's put up at least a point in every game since he's been in the top-six though. So I mean, yeah, he definitely needs to be catered to a bit, but when he is catered to, he's pretty dangerous.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, Johnson's put up at least a point in every game since he's been in the top-six though. So I mean, yeah, he definitely needs to be catered to a bit, but when he is catered to, he's pretty dangerous.

He's on a hot streak, I mean he has been playing in the top-6 the previous 2 years and struggled just as much as he did on the 3rd line behind 2 strong lines ones this year...if anything it's come to realization that he can't be the puck driver on his line anymore Point is outshining everybody outside of Kucherov on this team for how much he does for his line mates. Johnson didn't look good playing with Namestnikov/Stamkos despite putting up some points either, he needs an elite puck distributor on this line.

Gourde gets more credit being a threat on his own line, maintaining production away from Point and just a doing a million little things that disrupt the flow of the game for the opponent.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

What difference does make that Paquette is a center he can still sit we have a team full of centres that could fill out the forth line in a 11/7 situation. If Gourde is handling his own line why would you want to change it ? Sorry but agree to disagree with you on moving Gourde back to 2 RW.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think it's Johnson needing to be catered to so much as needing a role where he stays north south instead of pretending he's some elite dangler/playmaker. Just the move to wing has done that IMO.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I'd like to see what Cirelli can do with a cup of coffee,
From what Yzerman said in that recent Joe Smith article, we should see some cups of coffee leading up to the TDL, even without any injuries.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/Lightning-s-first-option-for-upgrades-AHL-Syracuse_163868797
Yzerman said. "We look at areas where we can improve. We’ll try to do that in our organization, first off. Otherwise, we’re constantly looking around the league to see what’s out there."
He named Erne specifically… “He’s playing his way out of the American League."
It will be interesting to see. Who is the best at face offs in Syracuse?

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I don't think it's Johnson needing to be catered to so much as needing a role where he stays north south instead of pretending he's some elite dangler/playmaker. Just the move to wing has done that IMO.

i agree, johnson has an elite shot, but he needs someone to get him there.

it's top six or bust for him, imo

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
He's on a hot streak, I mean he has been playing in the top-6 the previous 2 years and struggled just as much as he did on the 3rd line behind 2 strong lines ones this year...if anything it's come to realization that he can't be the puck driver on his line anymore Point is outshining everybody outside of Kucherov on this team for how much he does for his line mates. Johnson didn't look good playing with Namestnikov/Stamkos despite putting up some points either, he needs an elite puck distributor on this line.

Gourde gets more credit being a threat on his own line, maintaining production away from Point and just a doing a million little things that disrupt the flow of the game for the opponent.
The thing that gives me hope about TJ is the goals he's been scoring. He's flat out picking his corners again, which we haven't seen in ages. Those aren't lucky goals... he legitimately has one of the more dangerous wristers on the team. He's also found his jets again. When he's shooting and skating like he has been, he can play with just about anyone.

As far as Point, he's just damn good. Overall, I'd say he's a slightly better player than triplet-era TJ because his hockey IQ is so damn high. But it's kind of irrelevant because it's looking like we have Point AND triplet-era TJ right now which is just unreal.

And Gourde will be Gourde wherever we put him. If we threw Gourde out there without linemates he wouldn't even notice, he'd just find a way to make it work.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
i agree, johnson has an elite shot, but he needs someone to get him there.

it's top six or bust for him, imo

I think it's a pride thing, but him and Stamkos you can tell want to stay at center despite their tool set being more akin to the wing. Stamkos does bring you a little bit of net front presence, but imagine him on the LW of Point.

Johnson moving to wing has rejuvenated his career, he's got the second deadliest shot on the team and one of the fastest skaters, I think what this team lacks overall is a Getslaf type, maybe Howden becomes it.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
From what Yzerman said in that recent Joe Smith article, we should see some cups of coffee leading up to the TDL, even without any injuries.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/Lightning-s-first-option-for-upgrades-AHL-Syracuse_163868797
Yzerman said. "We look at areas where we can improve. We’ll try to do that in our organization, first off. Otherwise, we’re constantly looking around the league to see what’s out there."
He named Erne specifically… “He’s playing his way out of the American League."
It will be interesting to see. Who is the best at face offs in Syracuse?

I thought Erne would get the callup after the Callahan injury

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I hope Peca gets a call up before Cirelli or any other of the 1st year pros. Peca has been waiting a really long time for his cup of coffee and God knows he's earned it. As for Erne it's just a matter of "hang on just a little longer kid" until Kunitz retires. Let the new guys have their 1st year in Syracuse and focus on winning a Calder Cup. I'm not saying they wouldn't have earned it any less or wouldn't benefit. It's just that guys like Peca and Erne has been paying their due to even get a chance at the NHL anywhere from 2 to 3 times longer. I can't imagine the decision to promote a player who has 30 games in the AHL over someone with nearly 100 or 150 would go over well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What difference does make that Paquette is a center he can still sit we have a team full of centres that could fill out the forth line in a 11/7 situation. If Gourde is handling his own line why would you want to change it ? Sorry but agree to disagree with you on moving Gourde back to 2 RW.

Because your lines aren't going to stay intact an entire season - how many times have they already changed by now? Is this not something you've noticed already? I didn't say move Gourde permanently back to 2RW I said it was an option should we need to change things up but I guess having a 5m center who can't play center anymore kind of shoots down that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad