Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
No chance. Vegas is already WAY above where they said they wanted to be in terms of total salary. Maybe Hags could be a good fit next year when they have some big ticket UFAs coming off the books, but right now they're much closer to the cap than we are.

Thats with 31 players though, they have to lose 8 players just to get to a starting night roster. They are going to trade a bunch of assets in the next week. My guess is that they finish with a salary total in the mid 60s.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I suspect that a number of trades already have been worked out. I also suspect that the Pens are involved in at least one of them, for one of the excess defensemen.

Haula just signed an extension with Vegas. Obviously the deal was in place prior to choosing him. I doubt he was signed to immediately trade him. I am guessing he is with Vegas to stay.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I suspect that a number of trades already have been worked out. I also suspect that the Pens are involved in at least one of them, for one of the excess defensemen.

Haula just signed an extension with Vegas. Obviously the deal was in place prior to choosing him. I doubt he was signed to immediately trade him. I am guessing he is with Vegas to stay.

Yep on Haula.
Also think they have no intention of moving McNabb since he was there last night with a jersey on.
CAR's rumored to be in on TVR.
Had to guess JR would be interested in either TVR or Schmidt.
Mayybe Shlemko cuz of his cap hit/contract but iffy on that.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Think it would be worth throwing LVK a late rounder for Griffin Reinhart and giving him to Gonchar/Martin for the summer to see if they can turn him around?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope JR gets our RFAs signed soon so we can see where we are at cap-wise.
No need to start dreaming of big name FAs before we know what we have to spend.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Think it would be worth throwing LVK a late rounder for Griffin Reinhart and giving him to Gonchar/Martin for the summer to see if they can turn him around?

That guy is like Maatta when it comes to skating but it can be fixed. Anyways, I'm hoping that I wake up tomorrow with my phone blowing up with trades.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Eehh. Dunno.
Isn't he really slow?
Like Olli looks fast compared to him kinda slow?

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Thats with 31 players though, they have to lose 8 players just to get to a starting night roster. They are going to trade a bunch of assets in the next week. My guess is that they finish with a salary total in the mid 60s.

GMGM said he wanted his team's total salary to start with a number that isn't spelled with an 'S'. I don't know if they can trade enough assets to get down into the 50's, but if they do, that's where they will want to stay, unless additional assets are thrown their way.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

If we could get him for a later draft pick and maybe a middling prospect I'd be very intrigued. I am all for the Pens on taking D reclamation projects. If he is dedicated to improving his skating be could be a really big, solid #5/#6 with the ceiling of #4.

He's only 23, has decent hands, and he's 6'4. Maybe I am naive, but I firmly believe in the Pens ability to save D men's careers based on Niskanen, Daley, Cole, Schultz

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I really hate the thought of bringing back someone like Sestito or some other grunt.

If we're Hellbent on getting a bruiser, fine. But make sure the guy can play. Whether you go for E. Kane so you get a tough player that can still play well/contribute, or you go and get someone like Reaves for the 4th line, whatever. Just don't get someone like Sestito. Dude is mother ****ing useless.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I really hate the thought of bringing back someone like Sestito or some other grunt.

If we're Hellbent on getting a bruiser, fine. But make sure the guy can play. Whether you go for E. Kane so you get a tough player that can still play well/contribute, or you go and get someone like Reaves for the 4th line, whatever. Just don't get someone like Sestito. Dude is mother ****ing useless.

He's been mentioned before I believe, but Chris Stewart might be a decent option for the 3rd or 4th line

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
He's not a third liner not on this team.

He scored 13 ES goals playing 10.23 per game for a deep Minnesota team this season.
Be it as a big body with some cycling and finishing ability on the 4th line, or as spot duty further up.... one could do worse. I'd rather see him than Wilson playing with Malkin, for sure, but then again I'd much prefer better still. Of course.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He scored 13 ES goals playing 10.23 per game for a deep Minnesota team this season.
Be it as a big body with some cycling and finishing ability on the 4th line, or as spot duty further up.... one could do worse. I'd rather see him than Wilson playing with Malkin, for sure, but then again I'd much prefer better still. Of course.

Not sure I ever see Stewart fulfilling the defensive responsibilities of a winger in Sully's system, or the forechecking Geno needs. I can see him fulfilling the floating in the slot responsibilities of an aging Kunitz though. Plus we have a logjam at RW as it is, one of them will have to move over.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I read tomorrow was going to be a big trade day for VGN, I hope JR wakes up early and makes a call. IF I was JR I would offer Olli Maattta and the pens first this year for Erik Haula and Nate Schmidt. I feel Maatta has more value than this board acknowledges, but Schmidt is playing style a better fit for the pens. An Haula would be the perfect player to fill the 3c spot. He’s got speed and good at faceoffs. Feelsgood to dream, I suspect i will be disappointed in the morning.

I agree with you on Maatta's value and actually must think more highly of him than you because I would expect Himto get us both Schmidt and Haula, At least I wouldn't add a 1st to make it happen

But I wonder why he wasn't there last night if they already had a plan in place ahead of time if they are keeping him? I feel like a cheap 3rd line center is worth way more to a contender than a team outside of the playoff picture, like a closer in baseball he's more of a final piece to polish up the team than a building block.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maatta is probably our one useable trade chip that gets us in on Duchene talk. I don't see him going for a return in lesser pieces

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This is the most cap space the Penguins have had on July 1st in the cap era, wouldn't you think? Outside of maybe 2005 when they went on that spending spree with guys like Palffy, Recchi and Leclair.

And Gonchar. Don't forget Gonchar.

I remember being super excited when that occurred. We had Lemieux still, Crosby was coming in and we were getting all these great veterans. I was stoked.

Then, reality hit, Therrien's rant, Lemieux's forced retirement, ugh.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
So did the trade freeze lift at 8? I thought it was 9 am that it lifted? Also if it did lift already did we get Schmidt and Duchene yet :naughty::naughty::naughty:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Reading/watching stuff this am.
Bobby Mac said he believes McPhee is holding on to Schmidt. Signed him out of college.
Bob said he figures he's one of GM's core pieces to stay. <this was on a vid on tsn, post awards show.

ETA: here's the vid http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/article/how-mcphee-held-gms-hostage-to-acquire-assets-1.785884 talks about Schmidt @ 1:45 or so.

Also said he gets the feeling MIN moves Scandella over Brodin and they want to keep Dumba.

Said MTL will want/need D and C's. BUF, D.
Galchyenuk still might be dealt.
NYI looking to get more scoring.
Will be lots of Duchene/Eberle rumors.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bob McKenzie‏Verified @TSNBobMcKenzie 4m4 minutes ago
VGK no doubt exploring flip possibilities on veteran D Methot, Emelin and Schlemko, amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad