Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There has to be a reason Hags is in Vegas. Can't just be that Sid had an extra ticket. Could it be a Hagelin and Pouliot for Schmidt deal in the works?

I'm not sure why this entices Vegas.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
There has to be a reason Hags is in Vegas. Can't just be that Sid had an extra ticket. Could it be a Hagelin and Pouliot for Schmidt deal in the works?

Why? Arent't there a ton of players there in general? Hang out with friends, relax in Vegas, spend a little more time with Flower... why wouldn't he go?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Couldn't just be to tote the cup around...

It could be, but when you look at the numbers, if JR wants to do anything big, he's going to need to move a 4M salary . . . :popcorn:

EDIT: Just a thought . . . it's not inconceivable that Sheary, Dumo, and Schultz run closer to 10M IF JR does a cheaper 1 year deal with Schultz and Sheary and then signs both to longer extensions in January (he'll have 4.25M for Horny's expiring contract to allocate, and you can extend a player under contract anytime within a year of the expiration of said contract).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It could be, but when you look at the numbers, if JR wants to do anything big, he's going to need to move a 4M salary . . . :popcorn:

EDIT: Just a thought . . . it's not inconceivable that Sheary, Dumo, and Schultz run closer to 10M IF JR does a cheaper 1 year deal with Schultz and Sheary and then signs both to longer extensions in January (he'll have 4.25M for Horny's expiring contract to allocate, and you can extend a player under contract anytime within a year of the expiration of said contract).

Couldnt Sheary be a piece in a trade for Lando? Also it seems really risk to do that. If they both build on last season...they will ask for way more.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure why this entices Vegas.

Hagelin brings them closer to the cap floor; but can also be flipped. Could add Pouliot, a pick, and or someone like Kuhnhackl or Wilson. Vegas is still in the business of acquiring as many assets as they can.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm having trouble figuring out what I'd do with this team, because there aren't a lot of defensemen or 3Cs available via trade or free agency that haven't been beaten to death yet. I'd be happy if the Penguins signed Stone for like $3.5-$4 million plus traded for a young 3C like Haula (who's making $2.75 million per year on his new deal), but I feel like the Penguins could do a lot more if they wanted to.

I'd want to go big on either a top-4 D, a top-6 LW or a 3C. The Penguins have the ability to do it, so why not? I just don't know who "going big" would include. LWers would probably be Kane or Landeskog, a 3C would be Duchene and maybe Anisimov and I don't even know who a top-4 D would be. There aren't too many options out there.

I'd go all in on Brodin, move Maatta for a center (ideally straight up for a young 3C) and then sign a UFA defensemen if we're talking about big changes.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
JR can add a 3C and a defenseman if he chooses to stay pat otherwise.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Maatta and Hags.

The Horny situation is tricky. Not going to play with Sid. Doesn't work with Geno. And, if you're playing Phil apart from Geno, where does Horny slot? I still think they keep him to play out his last year, but . . .

Which is why I've been saying for a while now Hornqvist is the logical one to move in a trade.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Couldnt Sheary be a piece in a trade for Lando? Also it seems really risk to do that. If they both build on last season...they will ask for way more.

He could be.

And, my point was this: Say Schultz is okay to take 5 x 4.6M per. That's 23M total. You could sign him for 1 year for 3.6M and then make a wink-wink handshake deal to extend him for 4 x 4.85M per in December. That adds up to 23M too, except you SAVE 1M this year (and again, Horny's 4.25M is coming off the books after the year, so covering the extra 250K per in my scenario is no biggie).

Maybe do something similar with Sheary.

All of a sudden, the combined his for this coming year is closer to 10M than 12M.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Which is why I've been saying for a while now Hornqvist is the logical one to move in a trade.

I have been thinking the same thing (not as brave as you), but he's a heart and soul guy, and I think they're loathe to move him.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'm having trouble figuring out what I'd do with this team, because there aren't a lot of defensemen or 3Cs available via trade or free agency that haven't been beaten to death yet. I'd be happy if the Penguins signed Stone for like $3.5-$4 million plus traded for a young 3C like Haula (who's making $2.75 million per year on his new deal), but I feel like the Penguins could do a lot more if they wanted to.
Well, we just won back to back, why wouldn't they try for a dynasty and bring in more good players? I mean, it's not unrealistic that one of Sid, Geno, Kessel, Letang could slow down now that they are in or close to 30.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, we just won back to back, why wouldn't they try for a dynasty and bring in more good players? I mean, it's not unrealistic that one of Sid, Geno, Kessel, Letang could LW down now that they are in or close to 30.

I don't think they shouldn't, I just don't know who they'd target.

Would people here approve of trading Maatta to Dallas for Faksa or something like that? That is, assuming the Penguins could pull off someone like Brodin immediately after. Maybe Faska and Ritchie (he adds some toughness) for Maatta and Kuhnhackl? Faska as your 3C with Wilson-Sundqvist-Ritchie as your 4th line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'd want to go big on either a top-4 D, a top-6 LW or a 3C. The Penguins have the ability to do it, so why not? I just don't know who "going big" would include. LWers would probably be Kane or Landeskog, a 3C would be Duchene and maybe Anisimov and I don't even know who a top-4 D would be. There aren't too many options out there.

I'd go all in on Brodin, move Maatta for a center (ideally straight up for a young 3C) and then sign a UFA defensemen if we're talking about big changes.

If JR wants to do anything more than add a 3C and a defenseman each making about 3.5M per, then Hags, Horny, or Maatta need to be in play.

Unless the RFA's come in lower than anticipated, in which case he's got maybe an extra million or so.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

It's not like he'd be in such a rush to get to Vegas that he needs to be there early. It's summer. He'd have to move and ****.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think Sheary will come in relatively cheap. I think he would accept 2x2.5. I would rather not commit long term to Sheary after one good regular season.

I think we can get Dumo and Schultz for around 4 mil each.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If JR wants to do anything more than add a 3C and a defenseman each making about 3.5M per, then Hags, Horny, or Maatta need to be in play.

Unless the RFA's come in lower than anticipated, in which case he's got maybe an extra million or so.

Ideally we can trade for a young option at 3C or D who is cheap, allowing more cap space for the other.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It wont happen now but if we acquired Jankrok to be the 3C......oh man. Paying only 2m for the next 5 years would be something else.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I don't think they shouldn't, I just don't know who they'd target.

Would people here approve of trading Maatta to Dallas for Faksa or something like that? That is, assuming the Penguins could pull off someone like Brodin immediately after. Maybe Faska and Ritchie (he adds some toughness) for Maatta and Kuhnhackl? Faska as your 3C with Wilson-Sundqvist-Ritchie as your 4th line.

I think Faska is more of a future move. If I move Maatta I want an impact player coming back.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Ideally we can trade for a young option at 3C or D who is cheap, allowing more cap space for the other.

We have potentially cheap D and we have a track record of acquiring cheap D and getting the most out of them. Our team strength is at center and I don't think we should change that. We can find a young D who is cheap and try and fix them, as well as Poo and Corrado. We can always make a trade or acquire depth if we need to during the season without it costing us a lot.
Look at what we won with on D the last 2 years. Letang is back next year. Spend on a 3C.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Was listening to Benz today as he subs for Madden. He was talking about how prepared JR when it comes to team building and locker room presence. I think that might be how JR sets up finalizing a deal that may have been developing since the previous TDL. It is for that reason; you might be hearing rumors of the Pens still in on individuals they supposedly pursued. I think that is why the Pens have been rumored to be in on guys like Duchene, Hanzal, and possibly Oshie. Schmidt would be new to that pursuit, but after the series against the Caps, he had to have made an impression. Because of everything that is going on and the lack of a tremendous UFA class, there is a need to strike while the iron is hot. That would be especially true with regard to Schmidt and Duchene.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
pens need to add some size and grit. Sid won't last 40 games with Jake and Sheary as they are just to small to hang for regular season and playoffs. Go get a combo LW for Sid and put Jake on Malkins line. We will see if Reese can play up this year. Sprong needs to play in the AHL and gain needed exposure to bigger stronger players. But when he is ready then you trade someone.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I'd rather see them swing a trade than go after big names in FA. They just won back-to-back Cups with Cullen as the only traditional UFA signing in the lineup. (And Fehr last season).

Predators' only UFA signings that played in the Final were Irwin, Weber and a cameo by Harry Z.

The value on the open market for non-role players just sucks. I'm not even crazy about re-upping Bonino given the offers he's going to be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad