Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd take Jussi dirt cheap for the 4th line center job if Cullen doesn't come back. I'd like someone a little younger and coming off a better year for the #3 center job though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd take Jussi dirt cheap for the 4th line center job if Cullen doesn't come back. I'd like someone a little younger and coming off a better year for the #3 center job though.

Why not trade for someone like Sheahan and sign Jokinen, and let whichever one of those that does better take the 3C spot?

Nonsense to want Jokinen at C.

Yeah, he's only good at faceoffs, smart defensively and he has played a good bit at center over his career. Pure nonsense.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I wouldn't go after Bjugstad first, but Teravainen would be such a coup that I'd totally be fine with him being a primary option (even though he's more of a winger). I just think that in terms of replacing what Bonino does, there flat out isn't a better option out there than Jokinen.

I think he's too good to be a Cullen replacement and I think another team would offer him a larger role than being a 4th line center. I don't view him as a reclamation project, I view him as a legitimate 3C.

Jokinen was one of the best defensive forwards on Florida in 15-16. His advanced stats (GA and CA rel TM) were both absolutely phenomenal.

That whole 15-16 Florida team had a great season. Not saying it was a fluke, but it was a a fluke Last year he was pretty abysmal defensively.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Who is this Nonsense guy? Can we sign him for under 2 mill per for 2 seasons? :naughty:

Jokinen doesn't play C anymore. He takes some draws still when others are kicked out and on special teams, but he is a complimentary scorer/winger; he is WEAK and the legs are giving way.

Wouldn't want him (on the Pens) at league minimum.

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
Jokinen's numbers were not good like most of the Panthers but his advanced numbers are still strong (53.4 CF% and 51.9% FF), and he wins faceoffs.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Why not trade for someone like Sheahan and sign Jokinen, and let whichever one of those that does better take the 3C spot?

Yeah, I'm fine with Jussi competing for the #3 center spot but I don't want to put all my eggs in the basket of a 34 year old coming off a down year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would take Jussi on L4 Center at insane mins... and that is it. I want speed, youth, hunger. Jussi is not quick, not young, and doesn't really provide anything we desperately need. I don't think he'd take on that Cully role.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Here's a crazy thought- instead of signing Jokinen now, why don't we see where he stands after the first few days of free agency? I don't think he'll be that in demand, and if he is, he'll probably sign for a price we weren't willing to spend anyway.

He'd be a perfect candidate for a training camp invite IF Cullen retires.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That whole 15-16 Florida team had a great season. Not saying it was a fluke, but it was a a fluke Last year he was pretty abysmal defensively.

Couldn't you say the same thing about the 16-17 Florida team, but instead the whole team had a terrible season?

Here's a crazy thought- instead of signing Jokinen now, why don't we see where he stands after the first few days of free agency? I don't think he'll be that in demand, and if he is, he'll probably sign for a price we weren't willing to spend anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised for him to get claimed off waivers anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Jokinen doesn't play C anymore. He takes some draws still when others are kicked out and on special teams, but he is a complimentary scorer/winger; he is WEAK and the legs are giving way.

This plus i very highly doubt JR would be interested.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Jokinen has a history of being inconsistent like that. He's played for 5 teams. Tampa put him in waivers, Carolina put him on waivers and then had to retain salary to trade him to Pitttaburgh and now he's being bought out. No one should give him a long contract.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
JR traded the guy and then let him walk when he became GM of the Pens. Unlikely he even gives him second thought.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For his precious ****ing Pouliot.

Considering Trouba and Forsberg...Shero should make us a hell of a trade to make up for that debauchery.

I'd be willing to do that. Neither are ideal but I think with the wing power we have, we could make it work.

Florida has been one big WTF since that season.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Yeah I agree. If he hangs out there, a $2 mil a year deal is possible. If someone wants to bolster their scoring lines, which is like half the league, I think he will get $3 mil though. I wouldn't pay anything substantial for him personally.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jokinen has a history of being inconsistent like that. He's played for 5 teams, Tampa put him in waivers, Carolina put him on waivers and then had to retain salary to trade him to Pitttaburgh and now he's being bought in it. No one should give him a long contract.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't give him anything more than a 1 year contract. I'd be willing to give him a nice chunk of money, but no term.

So you wouldn't want a good and versatile player on the Penguins for league minimum? Interesting.

JR traded the guy and then let him walk when he became GM of the Pens. Unlikely he even gives him second thought.

The issue was Jokinen was bad in Carolina and when Rutherford became GM, he didn't want to commit 4 years at $4 million to Jokinen.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
i don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a good versatile player like Jussi.

Because we have wingers out the wazoo and he is what JR is explicitly moving away from.
He is a rival for Wilson on our team... and I take Wilson 11 days a week for his youth, hunger, edge and udside.

Arguing Jussi's faceoff stats is like saying Grigorenko is a solid defensive option because of the same. And as far as gambles go, Grigs would be way more interesting.

What's next? Jagr?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yes, but what about Nonsense? Can he PK? :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Different circumstances. Jucie was terrible in Carolina. I mean plum awful. He was waived but no one took him. Then Sid caught the puck to the mouth and he was brought in for a 7th purely to be a place holder. Then he lit it up with Malkin and Neal and priced himself out of the market.

Neither of those two things have anything to do with JR liking or not liking him. It does have everything to do with being a basic level GM though.

As Cole points out, speed for one. I can definitely see the downsides to Jokinen, as well as the upsides.

Here's what it's coming down to - you can either:

1. Overpay for a UFA ala Hanzal.
2. Make a trade for a 3C.
3. Sign a center with warts for cheap.

All have their pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6