Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't either and he's always played a smart game.

That said, I'm hesitant to go after for him now simply because I think better options are there or will be available in the next 24 hours.

What better options are there available? I honestly think Jokinen is the absolute perfect solution for the 3C spot. He fills literally everything that the Penguins need in a 3C. Good at faceoffs? Check. Strong defensively? Check. Can kill penalties? Check. Is skilled offensively? Check.

NJ fan here. rutherford should scoop up cammalleri for cheap and put him on the left side of 87/71. he still has something left IMO, and with an elite center like those two, he could pot 20+.

The Penguins don't need an overpaid winger who's a buyout caliber player if they're not with Crosby or Malkin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
NJ fan here. rutherford should scoop up cammalleri for cheap and put him on the left side of 87/71. he still has something left IMO, and with an elite center like those two, he could pot 20+.

Sorry, that spot's reserved for Kunitz.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
What better options are there available? I honestly think Jokinen is the absolute perfect solution for the 3C spot. He fills literally everything that the Penguins need in a 3C. Good at faceoffs? Check. Strong defensively? Check. Can kill penalties? Check. Is skilled offensively? Check.

He's a more creative Bonino who won't block nearly many shots.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I could go after him July 4th or 5th if all better options are going and he's available and willing to sign for cheap. Juice on a $1mil 1yr deal would be great for us.

I'd offer Jokinen a $3 million deal with absolutely no hesitation to be the 3C next season.

He's a more creative Bonino who won't block nearly many shots.

And I'm completely fine with that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think he's a great fallback option and I won't mind seeing him center a line in the bottom 6, but I'd honestly go after someone like Bjugstad or Teräväinen if they're available.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.

The Penguins don't need an overpaid winger who's a buyout caliber player if they're not with Crosby or Malkin.

Saying Jokinen is strong defensively is definitely reaching. Jokinen is a shell of himself defensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he's a great fallback option and I won't mind seeing him center a line in the bottom 6, but I'd honestly go after someone like Bjugstad or Teräväinen if they're available.

I wouldn't go after Bjugstad first, but Teravainen would be such a coup that I'd totally be fine with him being a primary option (even though he's more of a winger). I just think that in terms of replacing what Bonino does, there flat out isn't a better option out there than Jokinen.

I don't know if I'd do that but I really like the idea of him as a Cullen replacement and a reclamation project at 3C. If that fails he can probably step up or at least lighten the load there.

I think he's too good to be a Cullen replacement and I think another team would offer him a larger role than being a 4th line center. I don't view him as a reclamation project, I view him as a legitimate 3C.

Saying Jokinen is strong defensively is definitely reaching. Jokinen is a shell of himself defensively.

Jokinen was one of the best defensive forwards on Florida in 15-16. His advanced stats (GA and CA rel TM) were both absolutely phenomenal.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wouldn't go after Bjugstad first, but Teravainen would be such a coup that I'd totally be fine with him being a primary option (even though he's more of a winger). I just think that in terms of replacing what Bonino does, there flat out isn't a better option out there than Jokinen.

The thing is, I don't know if we need to exactly replicate Bonino's production. If we're reshuffling the top 6, moving guys up or moving Hagelin, I don't think it's worth trying to replicate the HBK line. That's just chasing a dragon, that honestly, might have been a fluke. Ideally I'd like to get some size and speed and smarts there, which is why I like Bjugstad's potential after a disappointing season- he has all the tools, but he's struggled putting them together.

Bozak would also be another good sleeper, under market price, I think.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, I don't think Jokinen's toast like a lot of people, but also I don't watch a lot of Florida games, outside of the times they put them on in the bar because of Jagr. I do think that he'd be fine as a 4C, definitely, and could possibly be okay up on the 3rd.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yeah ppl overestimate jj at this point and i was a big fan when he was here in spite of bylsma's bat**** moronic usage of him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jokinen 2015-2016 stats:

81 games, 18 goals and 60 points
12 goals and 46 points at ES
2.23 ES points/60
51.5% FO%
1.69 GA/60, -.3 GA/60 Rel TM (negative is good)
14.0% GF% Rel TM
-4.58 CA/60 Rel TM (negative is good)
7.0% CF% Rel TM

He was really, really, really good in 15-16. Amazing both offensively and defensively. He definitely struggled last year, but is that due to him taking a step back or Florida just being a mess last year?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd cream my pants.

Teravainen costs waaay more than that.

I'd love it but you're right...way more than that. Plus, he's exactly what Carolina needs. Why would they trade him for that especially considering the fact they are loaded with good young dmen?

Which means Boston has exactly ZERO assets left from the Seguin trade. That went very well.

I was just thinking about that earlier. :laugh: Had to check Capfriendly and the trade again to be sure. Man does Boston love botching a trade.

I'd offer Jokinen a $3 million deal with absolutely no hesitation to be the 3C next season.

I don't think I would offer him that much. $1.5-2mil is what I would go. Above that I would have reservations. If someone else swoops in and offers him $3mil, I tell him to take it.

On the wing I would say you are right. At center I think he would well enough.

So don't be offering any crap contracts JR.

There's a few of them I wouldn't mind picking up as depth guys for WBS. I would sign Ryan Murphy for WBS to replace Percy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad