Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Schultz: $5M

Dumoulin: $3.75M

Bonino: $4M

Sheary: $2.5M

This should leave us $4, 305,000M to sign a 4C, depth D and a back-up goaltender. Re-signing Kunitz wouldn't surprise me either. Quite tight if you ask me.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sign Pitlick (if healthy could be a steal of a find)
Sign Wiericoch( bigish dman with a nice shot, good #6/#7)

Trade Hagelin + 2nd + 6th to Vegas for Haula and a 4th.

Still try to sign Bones too. Haula would be a perfect 4C but would also be a nice 3C Fallback option if Bones leaves.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Schultz: $5M

Dumoulin: $3.75M

Bonino: $4M

Sheary: $2.5M

This should leave us $4, 305,000M to sign a 4C, depth D and a back-up goaltender. Re-signing Kunitz wouldn't surprise me either. Quite tight if you ask me.

Ugggh I hope they do not re-sign #14. You know he will find his way to Crosby's line even though he has no business being on the same sheet of ice as Sid. I know he was huge against Ottawa but he was also a liability for the other 100+ games this last year, well the last 3 years.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know I get why McDavid is looking for the home run contract... but at what point is enough is enough? I mean there's a pretty big difference cap wise between 13.25m and 10m. That's enough to have a legitimate winger (of some sort) on your wing and having a bottom 6 winger making peanuts. But for him, it's a difference of 26 million... But when you're going to make 80m... and then still only be 30... does that really matter?

It's the same thing for Toews and Kane. I just don't get it - especially after both had already made 30m+. 8x10.5m... is it really all that different then say 8x8.5m?

I'm not saying this applies to everyone. But those who are already set for life and are earning another great contract? Cole brought up Glenncross (signed a 5x2.55M) - and that's a great example of someone who should ensure they get the best deal possible. He made less than 4m prior to that, and that contract he did sign ended up being his last NHL deal. Kane/Toews made 35m+ before signing 84m contracts.

Maybe I'm just not greedy enough. :dunno:

It's not you. It makes sense. You see guys in the NBA going to different teams to try to win championships, leaving $50+ million on the table. At some point, you already have enough cash, and it's time to win. Especially a guy like McDavid, who is going to be swimming in endorsements for the next 15 years.

I get the sense Edm is about to bleep the whole thing up, because I am still not impressed with their management decisions. I still think they keep messing up, it's just that 97 covers it up now.

I love Malkin to bits. He is my favorite player on the Pens and it isn't really close. But I would trade him for McDavid also at 13.25, and I have zero doubt that the Pens would do the same. McDavid is going to be the better player soon, and an extra 10 years of competing and having the next face of the league.... As a business decision I doubt it would be a hard one, and of course Edmonton would NEVER consider it.

It would hurt our competitiveness a couple of years though, for sure. Like the first three years of McD's deal most likely, because healthy Geno to me is at least as good as McDavid, at least when it matters.

But the cap-hit wouldn't hurt as much here as in Edmonton, because it would not be Draisaitl getting 9 million being the other big ticket, it would be Sidney Crosby getting 8.7.

Regarding Riley Sheahan.... it would be an interesting gamble if we cannot find a legit and proven option. But unless Holland is really losing it, it is hard to see why now would be the time for them to trade him. He just had a pretty terrible season not least because of a hilarious shooting percentage, and they are not really in it to win it next season. You'd think Detroit would rather see if he can pick it up again, as they could not expect much of a return right now.

More realistic that he is a guy you look at next season where the Wings most likely won't qualify him at his current hit unless he plays a lot better.

You take McDavid, I'll keep Malkin. In the PLAYOFFS, I don't think there is a player in the NHL today who can absolutely dominate, one-man-show style, like Malkin can when he is on top of his game. He is a proven champion, a humble champion who always takes a backseat to our captain.

You simply don't find athletes like Evgeni Malkin around in this world very often.

Backup goalie.... Darcy Kuemper?

Looks like Minny would go with Stalock as backup, also for cap-reasons.
Kuemper is in need of a bounce back, but he hasn't been anyway near as terrible as Niemi, and indeed has had pretty long periods of awesome as a backup before.

If Condon received $2.4 million, gotta believe Kuemper will be coming in somewhere between $1.5-2 million per.

That's too rich for us.

Looking at the UFA list, I'd be interesting in seeing what the following guys are looking for:

Sam Gagner
Jordan Weal
Derek Grant
Ty Rattie
Josh Jooris
Joe Morrow (yes, our Joe Morrow)
Michael Haley if Sestito is not resigned
Jeremy Morin

I expect the Habs to resign Nikita Nesterov but he is indeed a UFA and is not resigned yet.

The Habs have zero interest in bringing back Nesterov. But honestly, he is no better than Pouliot and we already have a project in DP. If he wants to sign a two-way deal with us, great. If not, I don't really see the need for Nesterov.

Of the other guys you listed, I'd bring Morrow back as an insurance policy. Not a terrible idea. I'd like more of a veteran, though, perhaps someone who has yet to win a Cup a la Ron Hainsey (such as John-Michael Liles).

I believe Gagner and Weal are looked upon as wingers, not centers, except for perhaps the most desperate of teams (hello, Mtl).

Grant and Jooris are AHL-level players, imo. If you are signing them, it better be to two-way contracts with the expectation that they'll be on waivers in early October.

Rattie has always intrigued me, but there really is no need or fit for him here. He'd have to accept a two-way deal. Ditto Morin, who is at least a little bit more versatile (he plays both wings).

Not sure why we would need either Haley or Sestito but if the Baby Pens need either, fine.

We have the Cadillac of NHL tough guys now, we're good.

Would anyone do Sheary + a pick(not a 1st) for Demers?

Dumo-Tanger
Maatta/Cole-Schultz
Maatta/Cole-Demers
Ruh

Gotta be honest, i don't know Demers much but that would set up our D pretty nicely.
I know the gripe will be that 4.5 for a #6 isn't good but it's nice insurance if Tanger goes down again.

Just got to thinking how FLA is desperate for scoring now and the report of Demers being dealt 100%.

We really are loaded at wing right now and if a trade for a C seems impossible, i'd like to get in on beefing up the D.

Horrible idea. We don't need a third-pairing defenseman on the right side, we have Ruhwedel. Certainly not an expensive one, and certainly not for that cost.

Why the hell would the Penguins move Sheary for Demers, let alone adding to him :laugh:

Demers was awful last year and Florida is looking to get rid of him.

This.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It's not you. It makes sense. You see guys in the NBA going to different teams to try to win championships, leaving $50+ million on the table. At some point, you already have enough cash, and it's time to win. Especially a guy like McDavid, who is going to be swimming in endorsements for the next 15 years.

Because these guys plan on basically not working after age 40 and living a great lifestyle until they die. Most of us would be set if you plopped a few million in our laps, but these guys want to max out while they still have time and I don't blame them.

The TSN article said McDavid's new contract would be 17.6% of the cap. Crosby's was 17.3% when he first signed his, so they're comparable. I also read (not sure if it was TSN or another source like Lebrun on Twitter) that McDavid wanted 5 years originally, but the Oilers wanted more. With a player of that caliber a team is going to pay up for locking him down longer than he'd prefer, so that's a big reason why the number is so high.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Id like to see us sign Wiericoch for a depth guy. Big guy who can skate. I think he can do pretty well here, especially in a third pairing role.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know about Wiercioch. He is one of those guys with all the tools, but absolutely no toolbox.

I like defensemen who think the game well.

I mean, if we're talking about filling up the W-B/S roster, then sure.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If Bones wants $4 mil I don't see the problem. It's probably one more year than the Penguins want to give but he wouldn't be incredibly old and the cap number isn't incredibly high.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Playing with Phil Kessel for the better part of last year, I would expect much better production out of Bonino. I wouldn't give him that contract.

JR will make a trade and I have confidence it will be an upgrade.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I'd bet that Bonino gets more than 4X4. I think Madden knows the Penguins are moving on but doesn't actually know the numbers. I'd think he would get 4.5 for 5 years.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
does Bonino want 4x4 from anybody or 4x4 from the Penguins? If it's 4x4 from the Pens then he's probably getting offers of 4.5 or 5 from Montreal or other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad