Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As a random aside, would you trade Crosby or Malkin for McDavid at $13.25 million? I said no on the main board and now I'm being attacked for it. Am I off base here? I just don't think McDavid at $4 million more than Malkin helps the Penguins as much as Malkin does.

Nope. McDavid is the better player... but I too would take Malkin and the 3.75m in cap savings. For a cap team, every penny counts, and 3.75m (more than that actually considering that Edmonton would still have to spend the money for a body), goes a long way to filling out the roster with the depth needed to succeed.

I mean here's some forwards currently making between 3.75m and 4.5m (assuming you only spend 750k on said winger).

Frolik, C.Smith, Hornqvist, JVR, Oshie, Rask, Henrique, Johansen, Hagelin, Simmond, Rakell, Killorn.

Now would you want one of those guys and Malkin or McDavid and someone like Wilson to play behind Crosby? This isn't taking anything away from McDavid... He's one of the top players in the league. But we've already seen what happens when you do not have the proper depth. You do great in the regular season but like Chicago in the playoffs this year and us for years... you don't go very far come playoffs without good to great depth.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It would be kinda hard to find a top-9 line he clicks on in Pittsburgh, just because of who is ahead of him. I think pointing out Wilson isn't particularly good at anything is a fair thing to say, but couldn't you say the same thing about Kunitz?

As a random aside, would you trade Crosby or Malkin for McDavid at $13.25 million? I said no on the main board and now I'm being attacked for it. Am I off base here? I just don't think McDavid at $4 million more than Malkin helps the Penguins as much as Malkin does.
I think I'd have to make the deal with geno at least. The window wouldn't be quite as wide open right now, but it would likely stay open an extra decade. Though that depends on how much the cap continues to go up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I always wonder why people refuse skepticism. It's like the guy/girl who goes into roulette table and throws a crap load of money on red because it's been black for so long.

You don't know if this guy is going to boom or bust. And his bust is brutal. His boom is marginal. I'd rather stick with the guy I know in Bones, if at all possible. For the record - not saying he won't work here. But I think we have a guy with 1 point in 36 playoff games. We need to make sure we have something for sure. I don't think a reclamation project is fitting right now.

But that's not the comparison we're making here. It's Sheahan vs other replacements for Bonino, not Sheahan vs Bonino. The Penguins won't make a trade for a 3C if they bring back Bonino.

It's not that you're going to gamble on him being good again because he sucked last year, you're going to gamble on him being good again because he was good for 200 games before last year and you think playing with Kessel can get him back to that level.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, 22 and missed a season worth of games to injury. I don't think he's close to done developing.

Plus, people seem to forget that we already have a serious hole left by Daley. We also are losing Hainsey, who was frustrating at times but still played a big role. If we move Maatta, we're down a full half of our Cup winning defense.

IMO, we need to suck it up and let Maatta and Dumo continue to develop. I expect them to both have improved seasons this year.

That time you think it surely can't be a full season of games and figure out it's more. :laugh::cry:

I think this cup run without Letang should be huge for them and Schultz. For experience and confidence; two cups and one run without the 1D.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For me - I want to be very patient with Maatta. Then he plays a bad game and I try to keep my cool but in my head i scream "Good lord **** right off, Maatta. You skate like you are in mud. Work on your ****ing skating for crying out loud. Jesus.. move this kid." :laugh: That's the irrational fan inside my head.

And Emp - it's still a risk no matter what. My point on reclamation projects is my opinion. I don't think we need to go that route just yet. Not ruling it out. Just not yet.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Would be nice to have our RFAs locked up so we have a precise amount of cap to work with going into to free agency.
I can't imagine a scenario where we can't fit everyone we want, whoever that may be, into our cap. Whether RFA's sign tomorrow or next week, we'll be fine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We have been blessed to have two superstars who a) like each other and have no issues between them, and b) have not gutted our salary cap and took a little less than they could have.

It has been a major catalyst in our success, if not the biggest one.

You know I get why McDavid is looking for the home run contract... but at what point is enough is enough? I mean there's a pretty big difference cap wise between 13.25m and 10m. That's enough to have a legitimate winger (of some sort) on your wing and having a bottom 6 winger making peanuts. But for him, it's a difference of 26 million... But when you're going to make 80m... and then still only be 30... does that really matter?

It's the same thing for Toews and Kane. I just don't get it - especially after both had already made 30m+. 8x10.5m... is it really all that different then say 8x8.5m?

I'm not saying this applies to everyone. But those who are already set for life and are earning another great contract? Cole brought up Glenncross (signed a 5x2.55M) - and that's a great example of someone who should ensure they get the best deal possible. He made less than 4m prior to that, and that contract he did sign ended up being his last NHL deal. Kane/Toews made 35m+ before signing 84m contracts.

Maybe I'm just not greedy enough. :dunno:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For me - I want to be very patient with Maatta. Then he plays a bad game and I try to keep my cool but in my head i scream "Good lord **** right off, Maatta. You skate like you are in mud. Work on your ****ing skating for crying out loud. Jesus.. move this kid." :laugh: That's the irrational fan inside my head.

And Emp - it's still a risk no matter what. My point on reclamation projects is my opinion. I don't think we need to go that route just yet. Not ruling it out. Just not yet.

My big hope is an off-season where he starts roughly healthy lets him iron out a lot of physical deficiencies.

Fingers crossed the Finnish army doesn't want him to do his stint this summer.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I love Malkin to bits. He is my favorite player on the Pens and it isn't really close. But I would trade him for McDavid also at 13.25, and I have zero doubt that the Pens would do the same. McDavid is going to be the better player soon, and an extra 10 years of competing and having the next face of the league.... As a business decision I doubt it would be a hard one, and of course Edmonton would NEVER consider it.

It would hurt our competitiveness a couple of years though, for sure. Like the first three years of McD's deal most likely, because healthy Geno to me is at least as good as McDavid, at least when it matters.

But the cap-hit wouldn't hurt as much here as in Edmonton, because it would not be Draisaitl getting 9 million being the other big ticket, it would be Sidney Crosby getting 8.7.

Regarding Riley Sheahan.... it would be an interesting gamble if we cannot find a legit and proven option. But unless Holland is really losing it, it is hard to see why now would be the time for them to trade him. He just had a pretty terrible season not least because of a hilarious shooting percentage, and they are not really in it to win it next season. You'd think Detroit would rather see if he can pick it up again, as they could not expect much of a return right now.

More realistic that he is a guy you look at next season where the Wings most likely won't qualify him at his current hit unless he plays a lot better.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Backup goalie.... Darcy Kuemper?

Looks like Minny would go with Stalock as backup, also for cap-reasons.
Kuemper is in need of a bounce back, but he hasn't been anyway near as terrible as Niemi, and indeed has had pretty long periods of awesome as a backup before.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It would be pure negligence to not trade Malkin for McDavid at this point in their careers. That's an eleven year difference. That buys a whole new era. And the speedy McDavid on a second line role?

Let go of Hagelin or Hornqvist and the difference is paid for.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Miller wants to stay out west because his wife's a ****** actress.. he'll be too expensive anyway. I don't think the backup should cost more than a million.. so maybe McElhinney or Johnson, or trade for Montoya.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That time you think it surely can't be a full season of games and figure out it's more. :laugh::cry:

I think this cup run without Letang should be huge for them and Schultz. For experience and confidence; two cups and one run without the 1D.
For sure. I'll be shocked if any of Maatta, Dumo, and Schultz aren't better next year.

:laugh:

Exactly. He definitely leads Western PA in rants per game average.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Miller wants to stay out west because his wife's a ****** actress.. he'll be too expensive anyway. I don't think the backup should cost more than a million.. so maybe McElhinney or Johnson, or trade for Montoya.

They film all kinds of movies here in Pittsburgh. Hell, Linklater is doing another one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In retrospect, having considered the howls of agony you'd hear if the Pens got the next generation's biggest talent again, it would have to be done...

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Yeah, you take McDavid. Constructing a roster is all about business. Hagelin and Malkin's salaries would pay McDavid. But Malkin and say,. Brodie would be a keeper at least for a year or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It would be pure negligence to not trade Malkin for McDavid at this point in their careers. That's an eleven year difference. That buys a whole new era. And the speedy McDavid on a second line role?

Let go of Hagelin or Hornqvist and the difference is paid for.

There's a difference between 1-3 year short term value and 5+ years down the road. In the next 3 years? Yeah I'd take Malkin and Hornqvist over McDavid to be our #2C. Long term... of course you want McDavid.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They film all kinds of movies here in Pittsburgh. Hell, Linklater is doing another one.

I was an extra in Fincher's Netflix series they've been filming up in Butler & Kittanning. Keep an eye out for Sleeping Man Drooling On Plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia