Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread V | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
In retrospect, having considered the howls of agony you'd hear if the Pens got the next generation's biggest talent again, it would have to be done...

That's exactly why they shouldn't trade for McDavid. Once Crosby and Malkin retire, the Penguins will suck again/tank and draft the next true generational talent. The circle of life.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Alright, I've compiled a list of potential two-way targets for Wilkes.

Defensmen:

Jeff Taylor is the only incoming prospect. If you operate under the assumption all free agents are leaving, combined with who the hell knows what's going to happen with Pouliot, and WBS is pretty thin as of right now. So, as with last season, we're going shopping on defense.

Nick Ebert
David Musil
Dylan Blujus
Reece Scarlett
Jordan Oesterle
Brenden Kichton
Joel Hanley
Yohann Auvitu
Alex Grant
Brad Hunt
Jamie McBain
Matt Taormina

C
Greg McKegg
Gabriel Dumont
Byron Froese
Michael Sgarbossa
Paul Carey
Phil Varone

W
Seth Griffith
Emerson Etem
Brendan Ranford
Kenny Agostino
Stan Galiev
Buddy Robinson
Tyler Pitlick
Mitch Callahan
Stefan Matteau
Brandon Mashinter
Cole Schneider

Alex Grant. :laugh: Love it.

2013-Jun-24 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Anaheim Ducks for Harry Zolnierczyk

What a trade...what...a...trade.

I like your targets. I don't think we have a realistic shot at Griffin or Agostino to be honest. I think they'll resign with their current clubs. Agostino did very well last year. He was one of the top scorers in the AHL IIRC. I think Etem is done to be honest. He played a whopping 4 games last year. I remember he got hurt and I remember it was pretty bad. He also got bounced around on waivers too. Not convinced he'd even be worth the time. Griffin would be interesting. I see him as a Dea or Simon type guy. Only 5.9 but he's 192. That was roughly my playing height and weight so...I have a soft spot for him already. :laugh:

I feel Niemi is a good fit. He's gotten paid, so he's going to be looking for fit. He is inconsistent, but has the ability to get hot and win a series or two if needed. I don't know that we can do better for under $1 million. You can do better for 2-3, but I don't know if hedging against injury to that extent outweighs depth elsewhere.

I'd be all over Niemi if we could get him for sub 1.5mil.

Miller wants to stay out west because his wife's a ****** actress.. he'll be too expensive anyway. I don't think the backup should cost more than a million.. so maybe McElhinney or Johnson, or trade for Montoya.

I'd have to do a search to be sure but I'm pretty confident this is the first time that phrase had ever been said on HFBoards.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Looking at the UFA list, I'd be interesting in seeing what the following guys are looking for:

Sam Gagner
Jordan Weal
Derek Grant
Ty Rattie
Josh Jooris
Joe Morrow (yes, our Joe Morrow)
Michael Haley if Sestito is not resigned
Jeremy Morin

I expect the Habs to resign Nikita Nesterov but he is indeed a UFA and is not resigned yet.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
There's a difference between 1-3 year short term value and 5+ years down the road. In the next 3 years? Yeah I'd take Malkin and Hornqvist over McDavid to be our #2C. Long term... of course you want McDavid.

I don't know man, at that rate I would roll the dice on McDavid even next year. In cooperation with Crosby, he'd be a playoff monster.

I mean I would even go the other way. Crosby for McDavid.

I was an extra in Fincher's Netflix series they've been filming up in Butler & Kittanning. Keep an eye out for Sleeping Man Drooling On Plane.

Alright, well, post a screenshot when its released. I'll quietly nod to myself in a moment of pride.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why not do both? Also, we don't need a backup to play a ton of games. If Murray goes down, Jarry moves right into #1

Murray has never played a full season and is injury prone. Jarry has played a handful of NHL games. Not bringing in a veteran backup would be disastrous, in my opinion. Allow Jarry to be the starter in WBS and get a couple NHL starts in the NHL when Murray inevitably gets hurt. Jarry still has work to do at the AHL level, and it in no way slows his development.

We're having this conversation and we quite literally needed 2 quality starting goaltenders for the last 2 seasons to win 2 consecutive Cups. It's sort of shocking.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Looking at the UFA list, I'd be interesting in seeing what the following guys are looking for:

Sam Gagner
Jordan Weal
Derek Grant
Ty Rattie
Josh Jooris
Jeremy Morin

I expect the Habs to resign Nikita Nesterov but he is indeed a UFA and is not resigned yet.

Joe Morrow not qualified. Interesting. I'm curious if he'd be a target of ours since the organization knows him. Martin may be able to turn him around.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Joe Morrow not qualified. Interesting. I'm curious if he'd be a target of ours since the organization knows him. Martin may be able to turn him around.

I would be surprised if they are targeting him. They let him go before because they didn't think much of him and he's never really shown any reason to think otherwise since.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Murray has never played a full season and is injury prone. Jarry has played a handful of NHL games. Not bringing in a veteran backup would be disastrous, in my opinion. Allow Jarry to be the starter in WBS and get a couple NHL starts in the NHL when Murray inevitably gets hurt. Jarry still has work to do at the AHL level, and it in no way slows his development.

We're having this conversation and we quite literally needed 2 quality starting goaltenders for the last 2 seasons to win 2 consecutive Cups. It's sort of shocking.

Determined how exactly? He had a hand injury, concussion and a growing injury over what... 15 months?

That said, I agree that not going with a quality vet is probably a bad idea - at the very least it's extremely risky.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Really? I wouldn't. Again... a few years from now perhaps, but not now.

If it was presented to me as a yes-or-no option today, I would do it. That's all I'm saying. Of course the ideal would be to do it when Crosby's 38. But give me the window to jump into McDavid Quantum Leap-style, I would do it.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Yeah, we definitely need a proven NHL backup. There's a ton of downside to not getting one. And it'd be a lot better for Jarry's development to start a boat load of games in the AHL next season, than to have him sit on the bench most nights.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Backup goalie.... Darcy Kuemper?

Looks like Minny would go with Stalock as backup, also for cap-reasons.
Kuemper is in need of a bounce back, but he hasn't been anyway near as terrible as Niemi, and indeed has had pretty long periods of awesome as a backup before.

Depending on his price. Had a down 16-17 but could bounce back.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's late, and I am unable to sleep, so I was curious as to how this franchise could have changed with better 1st round selections. Seeing that Joe Morrow wasn't qualified sort of got me thinking. Using hindsight, which would probably make us not execute the Kessel trade, this is what the team would look like for 17-18 season with picks that were very close to where we were picking in the respective drafts

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
SAAD - Malkin - PASTRNAK
Rust - NELSON - Sprong
Archibald - FA - Reaves

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - TROUBA
Cole - Schultz

Murray

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Determined how exactly? He had a hand injury, concussion and a growing injury over what... 15 months?

That said, I agree that not going with a quality vet is probably a bad idea - at the very least it's extremely risky.

He tore a hamstring in warmups for the playoffs. He had a hand/wrist injury to start the season. He had a concussion. That's a lot for a guy who is considered a rookie.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He was wavied by Winnipeg...and claimed by the Coyotes...he was not qualified by the Coyotes.

Think about that.

I've always liked Burmistrov. I'd take a flier on him for a 1 year deal for 750K. We may not physically have room for another forward, but he can play C or either Wing, and he's really talented. Perfect 14th F now that we traded Sundqvist. :)

This team is much better off paying Bonino 4m then going with a chump #3C next season - even if it means giving him 4-5 years. You front load the crap out of it so that it's easier to move down the line.

5.5m, 5m, 4m, 2.75m, 2.75m. 4m cap hit, and an easy contract to move 2-3 years from now.

This ^ x one million-bajillion.

Nashville could offer more money and a bigger role and on a contending team. MTL could offer him the moon. And if Radulov jets, they'll be in panic mode even more.

Pittsburgh residents could calculate -- and someone really should if no one else has done it yet -- what Bonino would net after $5M with Canadia taxes vs. 4 or 4.2M in Pittsburgh.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I haven't heard anything on Bonino aside from there are a lot of teams interested. I really have a feeling that when the dust settles we will be looking at him the same way we all looked at Niskanen - completely shocked about the money and term he got, but super happy for him nonetheless.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I haven't heard anything on Bonino aside from there are a lot of teams interested. I really have a feeling that when the dust settles we will be looking at him the same way we all looked at Niskanen - completely shocked about the money and term he got, but super happy for him nonetheless.

Yes, but offensive or "two-way, puckmoving Dmen" (Nisky can fit into either of those categories) command the most money. If Bonino was even a 50 point guy or was 6'4 and physical, that may be a different story. But he's a 6'1 15-20g/40-45pt 3rd line forward.

I think the range for him is VERY narrow -- he's easily worth 3.75-4M on the low end, and if some team like Montreal wants to get desperate than maybe $5M on the high end. I really, really do not think anyone is going to give him more than 5M and no one is going to give him more than 4-5 years max (and closer to 3-4 years if it's more money). So that's why I come back to the idea that if MTL gives him $5M with Canadian taxes, I think we can sign him for $4M here.

I also think there's a stronger market/opportunity for Nick to sign a 3-4 year deal and cash in again before he's too old, whereas if he takes that 5 year deal (6 years would be un-advisable for Nick because it would put him in the horrible 35+ category), he can still cash in again on a nice 2-3 year deal for good coin at that time. Not saying that's for sure going to happen or the only way to look at it, but it;s a very valid perspective.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pittsburgh residents could calculate -- and someone really should if no one else has done it yet -- what Bonino would net after $5M with Canadia taxes vs. 4 or 4.2M in Pittsburgh.

While taxes are higher in Canada - especially in Quebec, I do not think the difference is all that great - maybe 15% between MTL/PIT. Not to mention that athletes have to declare taxes in every state they play a game in. So you're not talking about 55% vs 40% on 4m (or whatever the numbers actually are) you're talking 55% vs 40% on 2m, as half your games are played on the road. You could add up the difference between playing in the Atlantic vs Metro given more games in Canada, but you're probably still only talking about tens of thousands vs hundreds of thousands.

Yeah it all adds up, but probably not enough to sway him one way or the other. I think the overall contract (NMC/NTC, money, term), the role and how the club is positioned to have success will all play a greater role then the taxes.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes, but offensive or "two-way, puckmoving Dmen" (Nisky can fit into either of those categories) command the most money. If Bonino was even a 50 point guy or was 6'4 and physical, that may be a different story. But he's a 6'1 15-20g/40-45pt 3rd line forward.

I think the range for him is VERY narrow -- he's easily worth 3.75-4M on the low end, and if some team like Montreal wants to get desperate than maybe $5M on the high end. I really, really do not think anyone is going to give him more than 5M and no one is going to give him more than 4-5 years max (and closer to 3-4 years if it's more money). So that's why I come back to the idea that if MTL gives him $5M with Canadian taxes, I think we can sign him for $4M here.

I also think there's a stronger market/opportunity for Nick to sign a 3-4 year deal and cash in again before he's too old, whereas if he takes that 5 year deal (6 years would be un-advisable for Nick because it would put him in the horrible 35+ category), he can still cash in again on a nice 2-3 year deal for good coin at that time. Not saying that's for sure going to happen or the only way to look at it, but it;s a very valid perspective.

And he's only that if he's getting quality PP minutes. But even then he's inconsistent as **** and will disappear for weeks at a time. I remember looking at his actual production and games in his time with Vancouver and there were some massive massive gaps. Just like how he's been here. Some decent stretches, some brutal ones and some great ones. But those brutal ones are very very noticeable.

At the end of the day I do not think that a contract that mirrors what a lot of the other #3Cs have signed recently (aka 3.5-4.4m) is all that unrealistic. Whether he signs here or goes elsewhere... who knows. I won't wish him ill either way, but I do hope that this is a contract that we can just suck up and stomach. Because the alternative blows.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Would anyone do Sheary + a pick(not a 1st) for Demers?

Dumo-Tanger
Maatta/Cole-Schultz
Maatta/Cole-Demers
Ruh

Gotta be honest, i don't know Demers much but that would set up our D pretty nicely.
I know the gripe will be that 4.5 for a #6 isn't good but it's nice insurance if Tanger goes down again.

Just got to thinking how FLA is desperate for scoring now and the report of Demers being dealt 100%.

We really are loaded at wing right now and if a trade for a C seems impossible, i'd like to get in on beefing up the D.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Sam Gagner
Jordan Weal
Derek Grant
Ty Rattie
Josh Jooris
Jeremy Morin

Of those only Weal would interest me. Not sure why in the world you'd want Haley.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would anyone do Sheary + a pick(not a 1st) for Demers?

Dumo-Tanger
Maatta/Cole-Schultz
Maatta/Cole-Demers
Ruh

Gotta be honest, i don't know Demers much but that would set up our D pretty nicely.
I know the gripe will be that 4.5 for a #6 isn't good but it's nice insurance if Tanger goes down again.

Just got to thinking how FLA is desperate for scoring now and the report of Demers being dealt 100%.

Why the hell would the Penguins move Sheary for Demers, let alone adding to him :laugh:

Demers was awful last year and Florida is looking to get rid of him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Why the hell would the Penguins move Sheary for Demers, let alone adding to him :laugh:

Demers was awful last year and Florida is looking to get rid of him.

Like i said, dunno Demers much.
Just trying to think of a D beef up we can get if a trade for a C is impossible.
I know theres still some useful UFA D still available too. MDZ, Franson...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad