Confirmed Signing with Link: 2017-18 Prospect Signings Thread

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Can anyone confirm what's the status of these players regarding the expansion draft in 2020? I've read conflicting reports. Some say this season counts as their first pro year, some say it doesn't.

Burning a pro year on the elc was the rule for Vegas.... see william Nylander and others who played ahl but didnt burn a year in 2014-15.

Last edited:

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Can anyone confirm what's the status of these players regarding the expansion draft in 2020? I've read conflicting reports. Some say this season counts as their first pro year, some say it doesn't.

I dont believe anything has been confirmed regarding the expansion aside from news coming out of the GM meeting that Vegas will be excluded, and that Seattle has applied to be the new expansion team.

I'm sure more details will come out soon after the expansion and Seattle's name gets announced.

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
That's right. Players who were on the reserve list of a team at the trade deadline -- via draft rights (e.g. Charlie McAvoy 16-17) or as a qualified RFA (e.g. Vladimir Sobotka 16-17) -- can play in the playoffs. An undrafted free agent (e. g. Daniel Brickley) can't play in the playoffs.
Thank you!

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
That doesn't seem to be true at all. Draisaitl played 37 games in his first year and Edmonton still had to protect him.

My bad.

It appears.that players signed in late 2015 who burned a year (kyle baun, casey bailey) were eligible for tge expansion draft and had 3 years of service time... not two.

Players who played ahl only and DID NOT burn a year of elc like nylander were not credited with a year pro, even though.they were in ahl

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

It depends how many games they play this season + playoffs.

10 games or more counts as a pro season. 1st and 2nd year pro players are exempt from draft.

Reactions: uncleben85

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It depends how many games they play this season + playoffs.

10 games or more counts as a pro season. 1st and 2nd year pro players are exempt from draft.
Kyle Baun and Casey Bailey played less than 10 games in 2014-15 and were not exempt, because they still burned a year of ELC.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I dont believe anything has been confirmed regarding the expansion aside from news coming out of the GM meeting that Vegas will be excluded, and that Seattle has applied to be the new expansion team.

I'm sure more details will come out soon after the expansion and Seattle's name gets announced.
I'm pretty sure they already confirmed that the rules will be same as they were with the Vegas expansion draft.
My bad.

It appears.that players signed in late 2015 who burned a year (kyle baun, casey bailey) were eligible for tge expansion draft and had 3 years of service time... not two.

Players who played ahl only and DID NOT burn a year of elc like nylander were not credited with a year pro, even though.they were in ahl
Yea. Nylander in AHL was not credited a pro year and neither was Reinhart who played 9 games in the NHL at the beginning and then went back to junior. Neither burned a year off their ELCs, neither had to be protected. Bennett however played 12 NHL games, burned his first year and was credited a pro year because Flames had to protect him (similar to Draisaitl). So clearly with these players, that 10 NHL game mark (=burning a year) is what mattered.

But does it mean that all these players (like Greenway, Gaudette, Borgstrom, Terry) who burned a year here will have to have to be protected in 2020?

Burn a year off ELC = pro season?

or

Burn a year off ELC + 10 or more NHL games = pro season?

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
But these guys were older and their ELCs were only 2 years. Does this matter?

I don't think it matters... a year burned on an ELC was the criteria.

Other players who were the same age, signed ATOs and played in the AHL after their college seasons, but did not play in the NHL... and thus didn't burn a year on an ELC... they didn't need to be protected.

So age wasn't the factor, it was whether the year on the ELC was burned or not for players who signed late in the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kyle Baun and Casey Bailey played less than 10 games in 2014-15 and were not exempt, because they still burned a year of ELC.
Andrew Copp of the Jets was signed in March 2015 and played 1 game for the Jets in the 14-15 season. Then played 2 years in 15-16 & 16-17 with the Jets.

He was 1 of the 7 forwards the Jets ended up protecting for the Vegas Expansion draft.

So, it appears that if these guys Gaudette, Terry, Mittelstadt play in the regular season, they would need to be protected for a 2020 Expansion draft.

But, until the opt out clause is either exercised or not in 2019, the NHL can't announce when the Seattle ED will be held. If the opt out clause is exercised expect the ED to be delayed until 2021. In which case, it wouldn't matter that they burned a year in 2018.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Andrew Copp of the Jets was signed in March 2015 and played 1 game for the Jets in the 14-15 season. Then played 2 years in 15-16 & 16-17 with the Jets.

He was 1 of the 7 forwards the Jets ended up protecting for the Vegas Expansion draft.

So, it appears that if these guys Gaudette, Terry, Mittelstadt play in the regular season, they would need to be protected for a 2020 Expansion draft.

But, until the opt out clause is either exercised or not in 2019, the NHL can't announce when the Seattle ED will be held. If the opt out clause is exercised expect the ED to be delayed until 2021. In which case, it wouldn't matter that they burned a year in 2018.
I think Seattle is building their business assuming they enter in 2020 and it would be devastating if it delayed. So you have think it's going to go that way.

But that's a great find in Copp. I do wonder if that 1 game played is even necessary though, because they burn a year off their ELC whether they play a game or not. They burn a year as long as the contract is dated to start this season.

Guys like Matheson, who signed at the same time as Copp, didn't have to be protected because they signed an ELC that was dated to begin in 15-16, and went to AHL on an amateur tryout for the rest of that 14-15 season.

Safe to say that all these guys will play NHL games here though. So it should be a moot point. These players will have to be protected in 2020, just like Copp was.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Seattle is building their business assuming they enter in 2020 and it would be devastating if it delayed. So you have think it's going to go that way.

But that's a great find in Copp. I do wonder if that 1 game played is even necessary though, because they burn a year off their ELC whether they play a game or not. They burn a year as long as the contract is dated to start this season.

Guys like Matheson, who signed at the same time as Copp, didn't have to be protected because they signed an ELC that was dated to begin in 15-16, and went to AHL on an amateur tryout for the rest of that 14-15 season.

Safe to say that all these guys will play NHL games here though. So it should be a moot point. These players will have to be protected in 2020, just like Copp was.
2020 is when the renovations to key arena will be completed.

But, Seattle won’t do an ED unless there is a CBA in place for their first season. Have to wait until 2019 to see if either side exercises the opt out clause, making the 19-20 season the last one before a new cba is needed.

No way the nhl does an ED in June 2020 when the cba expires in sept 2020 due to the opt out. PR nightmare for that to happen. No choice but to delay until 2021.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sounds like the Hawks are going to burn an ELC year and get Hillman some late season experience similar to Sikura.
I guess the burning of one year off the ELC is the price the team pays to get a college kid to sign himself up rather than possibly getting any funny ideas about getting a degree and then exploring Free Agency after that. Normally you don't throw a year off an ELC so casually.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I guess the burning of one year off the ELC is the price the team pays to get a college kid to sign himself up rather than possibly getting any funny ideas about getting a degree and then exploring Free Agency after that. Normally you don't throw a year off an ELC so casually.
Yep, guess so. I'll welcome it. Given the struggles this year, the earlier these young guns can get experience, the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad