Line Combos: 2017-18 Lineup

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
If Krug was traded and Brodin was acquired, then Brodin would be our highest paid dman... a guy who's main strength is in one end of the ice and not the other. And be your own logic, that does not a 1st pairing dman make.

Brodin's defensive game isn't that large of a gap over Krug's as their offensive games are. I don't think either one are " true " number 1 dmen, but I'm ok with them sharing the workload of the role, much like Krug and Chara did last season ( nearly identical shifts per game, one played primary minutes on the PP, the other played primary minutes on the PK ).

Also, this reduces Chara's overall minutes which is huge. We've seen that the man can still go and be an upper tier defensive dman and provide some offense, but at his age, you want to see him playing closer to 20 minutes then you do 25.

I agree with much of what you are saying but my lineup had the addition of a top line winger as well. Something had to give somewhere. Krug was the guy who I thought would bring in the best return while replacing him with a much steadier and cheaper defensive presence in another trade.

In a perfect world I would have Krug on the bottom pairing and every offensive situation I could put him in but I wanted a winger for Krejci as well as a defensive upgrade on the D since this player would be playing with McAvoy hypothetically.

My intention was never to trade Krug for Brodin, it was to trade Krug for Landeskog and then trade DeBrusk and Zboril for Brodin and then trade their 1st and someone like Heinen to add a either another young player or prospect or just have them available to trade to make sure they got Landeskog and Brodin and then trade McQuaid to open up more cap space if he isn't picked in the expansion draft.

Hey, if they could trade a player/puck/prospect to LV so that they picked Belesky in the expansion draft then that could work too, I just don't think it is likely.

I like my version of the team more than the versions we have seen in the past few seasons, if someone comes up with something better I would be all for it too.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Deal for Lando, re-sign Moore.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen-Krejci-Pasta
Lando-Spooner-Backes
Kuraly-Moore-Accairi
Beleskey-Nash

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Morrow-Killer
Chiller

Tuuk-Dobby

I like your defense pairings--and that you include Morrow. I don't know why some are so quick to write him off. With regard to your forward lines, I would replace Landeskog (no need to trade for him) with Debrusk and have a fourth line of Cehlarik-Kuraly-Acciari.

So somehow we're back onto Avalanche mis fit toys. I really don't like the idea of the bruins taking a chance on players from a failed team. Begs the question why the team failed and if said players are part of the failure?

Especially given that Landeskog is captain of the Avalanche.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree with much of what you are saying but my lineup had the addition of a top line winger as well. Something had to give somewhere. Krug was the guy who I thought would bring in the best return while replacing him with a much steadier and cheaper defensive presence in another trade.

In a perfect world I would have Krug on the bottom pairing and every offensive situation I could put him in but I wanted a winger for Krejci as well as a defensive upgrade on the D since this player would be playing with McAvoy hypothetically.

My intention was never to trade Krug for Brodin, it was to trade Krug for Landeskog and then trade DeBrusk and Zboril for Brodin and then trade their 1st and someone like Heinen to add a either another young player or prospect or just have them available to trade to make sure they got Landeskog and Brodin and then trade McQuaid to open up more cap space if he isn't picked in the expansion draft.

Hey, if they could trade a player/puck/prospect to LV so that they picked Belesky in the expansion draft then that could work too, I just don't think it is likely.

I like my version of the team more than the versions we have seen in the past few seasons, if someone comes up with something better I would be all for it too.

1) You way undervalue Krug imo. You are moving a 50 point Top 4 D because "something has to give"? He only makes $1.25m more than Brodin.

2) Why does COL trade for another $5m plus D when they already have EJ and Barrie on the books for $5.5m and $6m respectively?

3) You seem to be in a big hurry to get rid of prospects. In short order, you propose losing the B's two Top F prospects AND Zboril AND your first. You trade the 1st and someone like Heinen for a prospect or young player? Better be a hell of a player.

All of that, and I see a team that is only marginally better now (because of Lando) and one that will still have a hole on LD when Chara is done.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

I agree on the Krug value. This gets some on here out of their minds. Krug on the bottom pair, PP and offense when needed, he will get 21 - 24 minutes a game.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
1) You way undervalue Krug imo. You are moving a 50 point Top 4 D because "something has to give"? He only makes $1.25m more than Brodin.

2) Why does COL trade for another $5m plus D when they already have EJ and Barrie on the books for $5.5m and $6m respectively?

3) You seem to be in a big hurry to get rid of prospects. In short order, you propose losing the B's two Top F prospects AND Zboril AND your first. You trade the 1st and someone like Heinen for a prospect or young player? Better be a hell of a player.

All of that, and I see a team that is only marginally better now (because of Lando) and one that will still have a hole on LD when Chara is done.

I just don't see Krug the way a lot of you guys do, I like him, I just don't see him as a guy that is so good or so young and filled with promise that he can't be moved to make the team better. He is not on the level of guys who shouldn't be moved like Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Carlo, or Rask. He is on the next level of guys who I don't want to give up but wouldn't have a problem with it if it made the team better like Krejci or any of the best prospects. If he was better defensively he would probably be one of my favorite players but he is not. Like I said, it was my "fantasy" team.

The Bruins have so many prospects they are going to have to move somebody somewhere. If they decide to wait and see who shakes out and fill the team then that's great too but then hopefully they replace half of the 13 forwards as soon as possible because guys like Spooner, Nash, Schaller, Hayes definitely don't get the job done at the level it needs to be done to be a contender. I don't see the point in re-signing someone like Dominic Moore if they are going that route, I think they need to start replacing players with younger guys right now if that is the plan. No reason to wait, they won't be a contender without making a couple of serious moves and if they aren't going to do that through trades then they might as well go full youth movement. Then when the dust settles hopefully they have built a contender that way.

That leads us to what to do with Chara. Would he accept a trade to a contender? They would be making a massive hole in the D if they did that. I wanted to make the most of Chara's possibly last season with the Bruins.

I think the team I listed would be marginally better, a pretty decent margin. Getting Landeskog and having Backes on the 3rd line is a huge impact move I believe. The team stands a chance of going from a one line team last season to a three line offensive team that is rock solid defensively. If Backes could gel with some linemmates on the 3rd line that team would be tremendously difficult to defend against while being great defensively. If even one rookie forward has the kind of season we all hope they are capable of this could be a seriously dangerous team. I understand that there are no guarantees here but I like the way that looks.

This makes sense to me, continuing the youth movement also makes sense to me except for Chara. If they are going that way then I hope they at least offer him a trade to a contender, Maybe that is not what he wants and he just wants to play as long as he is useful in Boston, but I wouldn't feel right about it if I didn't at least offer him a chance. Of course then in effect they are telling the team that they do not believe in their ability to win next season. There are no easy answers, every scenario has a difficult decision, Krug was the one I made.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Deal for Lando, re-sign Moore.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen-Krejci-Pasta
Lando-Spooner-Backes
Kuraly-Moore-Accairi
Beleskey-Nash

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Morrow-Killer
Chiller

Tuuk-Dobby

Love it. Especially if DeBrusk isn't in the Lando trade. Then for me it's 2 guys for 3 spots to start the year (DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork).

Would love it even more if we sent some of the extra salary packing and could get a better LHD than Morrow.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Re-sign Pasta for $5.5m, Moore for $1m, and Acciari for $900k

Deal the 18 and prospect to Minny for Brodin and Haula (sign for $2.5m)

Deal Zboril, JFK, and Gabrielle to COL for Landeskog.

Lose/Trade Beleskey, Hayes, Spooner, McQ

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Lando-DK-Backes
Vatrano-Haula-Heinen
Kuraly-Moore-Nash-Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Brodin-Killer
Chiller

Rask
Khudo

Cap Hit $72m

Fire up the duck boats :D

If you just did the Brodin/Haula deal, you could keep Beleskey and Hayes and STILL be at $71.5m.

If you are dealing with Minny, another possibility would be Nino. You take care of the Top 6 Wing issue, but would have to move Nash up to 3rd line C or hope JFK can win it, and move Beleskey and/or Hayes.

2nd line would be:

Nino-DK-Hayes

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Re-sign Pasta for $5.5m, Moore for $1m, and Acciari for $900k

Deal the 18 and prospect to Minny for Brodin and Haula (sign for $2.5m)

Deal Zboril, JFK, and Gabrielle to COL for Landeskog.

Lose/Trade Beleskey, Hayes, Spooner, McQ

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
Lando-DK-Backes
Vatrano-Haula-Heinen
Kuraly-Moore-Nash-Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Brodin-Killer
Chiller

Rask
Khudo

Cap Hit $72m

Fire up the duck boats :D

If you just did the Brodin/Haula deal, you could keep Beleskey and Hayes and STILL be at $71.5m.

If you are dealing with Minny, another possibility would be Nino. You take care of the Top 6 Wing issue, but would have to move Nash up to 3rd line C or hope JFK can win it, and move Beleskey and/or Hayes.

2nd line would be:

Nino-DK-Hayes

Dean will be in Boston

That's good news for Heinen & DeBrusk

No way they are double crossing JFK and trading him. Zero chance

I had one of my buds tell me Frederic makes a lot of sense to Minnesota and I hope not

I believe Sweeney is very high on Bjork JFK out of college and DeBrusk and Heinen in AHL

Can't see any being moved

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Dean will be in Boston

That's good news for Heinen & DeBrusk

No way they are double crossing JFK and trading him. Zero chance

I had one of my buds tell me Frederic makes a lot of sense to Minnesota and I hope not

I believe Sweeney is very high on Bjork JFK out of college and DeBrusk and Heinen in AHL

Can't see any being moved

I hear you, but the only way to get guys is to give in return. Personally, I like JFK, but I deal him before Frederic.

If the B's are not willing to give up JFK, Heinen, DeBrusk, maybe Frederic, than the 18th pick is as good as gone. I would be fine with giving up that pick, and just coming away with Brodin.

Minny has no first or second round picks this year and no second next year, so it would make sense that they would want picks over prospects.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hear you, but the only way to get guys is to give in return. Personally, I like JFK, but I deal him before Frederic.

If the B's are not willing to give up JFK, Heinen, DeBrusk, maybe Frederic, than the 18th pick is as good as gone. I would be fine with giving up that pick, and just coming away with Brodin.

Minny has no first or second round picks this year and no second next year, so it would make sense that they would want picks over prospects.

Sweeney can deal JFK but good luck next time he's courting a similar prospect

You know why dogs are one the best things on this planet? Loyalty

He'd be screwing himself

I've seen JFK live a handful of times and he's a keeper

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sweeney can deal JFK but good luck next time he's courting a similar prospect

You know why dogs are one the best things on this planet? Loyalty

He'd be screwing himself

I've seen JFK live a handful of times and he's a keeper

I completely understand your reasoning (JFK came out after sophomore year for the Don), but he did get the benefit of reaching FA one year sooner.

I don't want the B's to move either JFK or Frederic, but if you held my hand to the fire, I would trade JFK first.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I just love how DS came out shining like a diamond on Frederic after all the drama after the pick from media "experts."

DS certainly has his warts, but I love how he does it his way vs letting Craig Button's board make the pick...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just love how DS came out shining like a diamond on Frederic after all the drama after the pick from media "experts."

DS certainly has his warts, but I love how he does it his way vs letting Craig Button's board make the pick...

every GM has their warts, I would wager if we were to dissect ever other teams draft picks and trades, we`d come away with a "success" rate similar to DS. Not every trade is a home run, some are meh, some are duds, some wind up to be very solid

Draft picks are often purely luck, such an inexact science. I think the area the B`s really need to step up is in their evaluation of pro talent. I really like what they`ve done through the draft over the past two summers, haven`t been as impressed with their pro scouting, love to see that balance out more

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
every GM has their warts, I would wager if we were to dissect ever other teams draft picks and trades, we`d come away with a "success" rate similar to DS. Not every trade is a home run, some are meh, some are duds, some wind up to be very solid

Draft picks are often purely luck, such an inexact science. I think the area the B`s really need to step up is in their evaluation of pro talent. I really like what they`ve done through the draft over the past two summers, haven`t been as impressed with their pro scouting, love to see that balance out more

It's hard to call drafting luck, with DS. His way is polarizing but pretty darn successful. Yeah, couldn't agree more, the warts I was alluding to pretty much come down to his filling out the roster with NHL talent. While he's got the Midas touch at the draft, he's got the opposite with NHL guys. Although, Nash looks like he is coming around a bit.

I'm glad they protected Killer and Nash, it was the right move. Really all about Killer, with his recent play, he was really the only guy that demanded it. Nash will help out with all the kids that will be in the lineup...

While I'm a big fan of DoMo, very much like McQuaid, they need to get a kid in their roster spots...just aren't enough to go around...DS drafting is paying off...

Now make some moves at the draft. The cupboard is full.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I agree with your general sentiment, and was fine with the Frederic pick at the time. My only quibble is your use of Button in this post. If anything, Button is the opposite of what you are saying. Button is much like Sweeney: doesn't just go with the consenus list that everyone else has, and instead has his own value on players that differs from conventional wisdom and thus leads to mass exclaims of "HOw can he have player X that high/low!!!???"

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I agree with your general sentiment, and was fine with the Frederic pick at the time. My only quibble is your use of Button in this post. If anything, Button is the opposite of what you are saying. Button is much like Sweeney: doesn't just go with the consenus list that everyone else has, and instead has his own value on players that differs from conventional wisdom and thus leads to mass exclaims of "HOw can he have player X that high/low!!!???"

Just a random media guy with a big board who happened to be sitting there...and shuffling through papers to find Frederic. Haha. No, didn't really mean to single him out, just the first name that came to mind...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Just a random media guy with a big board who happened to be sitting there...and shuffling through papers to find Frederic. Haha. No, didn't really mean to single him out, just the first name that came to mind...

To Dave's point, Button is about as "off the board" as you can get, and he frequently (right or wrong) has Euro players rated higher than some of his Canadian counterparts. He had Emil Johansson (who the B's took in the 7th round and will be in PRO this year) as the 60th overall player (2nd/3rd round) in his draft ratings the year EJ was eligible.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
My updated version

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Cehlarik Krejci Bjork
Acciari Kulary Backes
Debrusk Heinen Nash

Chara Mcavoy
Krug Carlo
Mcquaid Miller

Depth
Beleskey, JFK, Schaller, Czarnik
Zboril O'Gara
Cross Grzelcyk

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
My updated version

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Cehlarik Krejci Bjork
Acciari Kulary Backes
Debrusk Heinen Nash

Chara Mcavoy
Krug Carlo
Mcquaid Miller

Depth
Zboril O'Gara
Cross Grzelcyk

D looks good but looks like we only have 1 good F line that will be consistent

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My updated version

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Cehlarik Krejci Bjork
Acciari Kulary Backes
Debrusk Heinen Nash

Chara Mcavoy
Krug Carlo
Mcquaid Miller

Depth
Zboril O'Gara
Cross Grzelcyk

Is this what you would like to see, or what you are predicting will happen?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Is this what you would like to see, or what you are predicting will happen?

Both

Leave the Acciari Kulary Backes line alone...best line vs the sens. Top chemistry

Bergeron line should be productive again

Question mark lines will be the krecji and 4th line...but all indications are 3-4 rookies will get a shot, to start with the parent club. Would like to see Cehlarik and Krejci paired up again

Debrusk and Heinen were two of the best/productive players last year in providence/providence playoffs...thus deserve a chance

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
My updated version

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Cehlarik Krejci Bjork
Acciari Kulary Backes
Debrusk Heinen Nash

Chara Mcavoy
Krug Carlo
Mcquaid Miller

Depth
Zboril O'Gara
Cross Grzelcyk

So 2 4th liners playing 3rd line? Top six winger prospect playing 4th line center? McQuaid playing LHD?

Not to mention, your lineup has SEVEN rookies in it. I think your lineup is very unrealistic.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Marchand/Bergeron/Bjork
Agostino/Krejci/Pastrnak
Vatrano/JFK/Backes
Beleskey/Nash/Acciari
Kuraly

Chara/Carlo
Miller/McAvoy
Krug/McQuaid
Postma

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Marchand/Bergeron/Bjork
Agostino/Krejci/Pastrnak
Vatrano/JFK/Backes
Beleskey/Nash/Acciari
Kuraly

Chara/Carlo
Miller/McAvoy
Krug/McQuaid
Postma

I think this is far closer than other lineups posted.

Marchand Bergeron Bjork

Debrusk/Agostino/Heinen Krejci Pastrnak

Vatrano JFK Backes

Beleksey Nash Acciari/Schaller/etc

Chara Carlo
K Miller McAvoy
Krug McQuaid
Potsma

I think Bjork making the team should be presumed at this point, based on the current roster.

That leaves one top six forward spot open to rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad