Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #8

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hagg also has a much more accomplished background than Allison and seems pretty much a lock to be an NHL regular. I simply don't see where Allison has done enough to vault ahead in the rankings at this stage of their careers.

Random Forest covered the rest well, so I will just pull this bit out.

Even forgetting about their stage of advance as prospects and as growing people in their draft year, to say Hagg is more accomplished at this point is to throw out multiple years of stagnation. You were willing to toss Geekie to the wind for a poor season as an extremely young kid who had yet to grow into his body, but Hagg being a disappointment for multiple years is just fine? I don't understand the difference.

To take it a step further, if you think Hagg is a surefire NHLer at this point, I guess that's fair. Is he any more than a bottom pairing solid but unspectacular guy? Maybe you value floor more than I do, but I don't see him in consideration for the top 10-12 or so.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Shame on you Magua.

It's all fun and games until a poll gets ruined. There's a line and you crossed it.

How the **** am I supposed to know who the top 50 prospects are now?

It would be a shame if we all voted Other for the next poll and collectively wrote in Tyrell Goulbourne for the next vote, which is now open. Obviously I would never suggest we ruin the integrity of such important main boards matters. I repeat, don't follow this link, vote Other, and write in Tyrell Goulbourne.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It would be a shame if we all voted Other for the next poll and collectively wrote in Tyrell Goulbourne for the next vote, which is now open. Obviously I would never suggest we ruin the integrity of such important main boards matters. I repeat, don't follow this link, vote Other, and write in Tyrell Goulbourne.

Good job you just got Tyrell Goulbourne DQ'd.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Random Forest covered the rest well, so I will just pull this bit out.

Even forgetting about their stage of advance as prospects and as growing people in their draft year, to say Hagg is more accomplished at this point is to throw out multiple years of stagnation. You were willing to toss Geekie to the wind for a poor season as an extremely young kid who had yet to grow into his body, but Hagg being a disappointment for multiple years is just fine? I don't understand the difference.

To take it a step further, if you think Hagg is a surefire NHLer at this point, I guess that's fair. Is he any more than a bottom pairing solid but unspectacular guy? Maybe you value floor more than I do, but I don't see him in consideration for the top 10-12 or so.

Have to disagree on this Jojo. Hagg came over here to play for the Phantoms when he was old enough to still play Jr and played well. He's learned the NA game and really showed good development last year. His second year he struggled, but that is not surprising at all, given that D is the hardest position to learn. He looked to confident in his call up - big, strong skater, moved the puck, defended well, joined the rush. His game is coming together nicely.

I took Allison this time because he's simply got the entire package. Next I'll have to decide between Hagg and Vorobyov, who has also really developed well. These are really good hockey players with strong international pedigrees.

We should expect them to make the team soon, Hagg this year, Vorobyov by next year if not sooner, and be solid NHL players.

If Allison has the year I'm expecting, he'll be a 2 and out college player and join the Phantoms for the playoffs.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Anyone ever go to DQ and get a double cheeseburger and fries and wash it down with a Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard? I am ****ing starving.

Other for the win.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Anyone ever go to DQ and get a double cheeseburger and fries and wash it down with a Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard? I am ****ing starving.

Other for the win.

Too many times, I worked at our local DQ for my highschool gig. However they were more like quad cheeseburgers with bacon, we ate fries individually wrapped in a pickle slice with ketchup along the length, and before Peanut Butter Cups we had Reece's Pieces, which I'll add was the best ever Blizzard (discontinued in 2004). You can still bring a pack to DQ and ask them to make a Blizzard out of some though, and I highly recommend you do lol

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Too many times, I worked at our local DQ for my highschool gig. However they were more like quad cheeseburgers with bacon, we ate fries individually wrapped in a pickle slice with ketchup along the length, and before Peanut Butter Cups we had Reece's Pieces, which I'll add was the best ever Blizzard (discontinued in 2004). You can still bring a pack to DQ and ask them to make a Blizzard out of some though, and I highly recommend you do lol

It's one of the American places they don't have here, which is just as well, because this diet wouldn't survive that. In the summer, I used to cover this semi-pro baseball league while high school was out of session, just to fill the pages with something, and they played doubleheaders on Sundays, starting at 1 p.m., so it was miserably hot and I just died out there. So to make myself feel better, I'd stop by DQ on the way home and just completely gorge myself - I was nearly (but not quite) too embarrassed to place my order at the drive-thru. When I said "double cheeseburger" I left off the "s" :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No way? That's awfully definite. I don't have him quite this high, but I get it. I only have him a couple spots back.

To be fair, I said "no way...in my mind." Right now Allison has more votes than the next 2 guys, Hagg and Vorobyov, combined. For everyone saying that it's a slight difference, I'm still floored that Allison has reached such a consensus as to exceed the next two highest ranked guys put together for #8.

Again, what has he accomplished? No more than Laczynski. Worse than Smirnov. Certainly not equal to Vorobyov and Hagg. Maybe he'll end up better, but I sure don't see anything you can point to at this stage in their careers.

And it doesn't take watching Allison more than a few times to see he lacks hockey sense and isn't a great skater. I also dispute that he's a good puckhandler. He's big and has a good shot. His overall game is significantly beneath a number of the Flyers' middle-of-the road prospects right now, IMO. I just don't get what people see in him to rank him this high as of this moment; frankly, I think it's what people want him to be rather than what he is.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Certainly not equal to Vorobyov and Hagg? What have either of them proven? We're at the point where none of these guys are sure fire hits. Allison has the most intriguing package of the players remaining. The guy has a pretty unique skill set as far as our prospects go. Vorobyov and Laczynski are good players, and they're right there with him, but let's not act like they've clearly proven more. The pedigree is pretty much equal between those players, and now we're just picking which skill sets we think are most valuable.

I see no reality where Vorobyov or Laczynski are anything better than bottom six centers; I just don't think they have that upside. In comparison, I think it's not unrealistic for Allison to be a top six winger, and that gives him the edge for me.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
In accomplishments at this stage of their respective careers.

Allison has one solid freshman season in the NCAA, but one that was no better than Laczynski and worse than Smirnov. That's pretty much the extent of his accomplishments, other than a pretty good USHL season at age 18.

Meanwhile, Vorobyov, who is just as big as Allison, has 72 KHL games already at the same age, plus 10 points in 7 WJC games for bronze medal winning Team Russia, and to me has clearly better hockey sense.

Hagg has 3 WJCs, 2 SHL seasons, and 3 AHL seasons under his belt after his age 21 season, plus an NHL game where he played very well.

So yes, Allison at this stage of their respective careers has not accomplished anywhere near what Vorobyov and Hagg have. Maybe one day he will, but as of the time of this ranking he sure hasn't. And as for pure physical attributes, Vorobyov and Hagg at least equal him, too.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I see no reality where Vorobyov or Laczynski are anything better than bottom six centers; I just don't think they have that upside. In comparison, I think it's not unrealistic for Allison to be a top six winger, and that gives him the edge for me.

This is the big difference for me as well.

And as far as accomplishments pertaining to the international stage, a guy of Allison's minimal pre-draft pedigree (which was apparently higher than those 2 anyways according to draft position) as a kid buried away in the USHL and college leagues, he was never going to get even a half fair glance at the Canadian's junior club to show is mettle. Without the same opportunities, it's worth noting his Clark Cup MVP award regardless of his age. When push came to shove, he was there to pump up his game and push his team to a championship.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Allison has one solid freshman season in the NCAA, but one that was no better than Laczynski and worse than Smirnov. That's pretty much the extent of his accomplishments, other than a pretty good USHL season at age 18.

Meanwhile, Vorobyov, who is just as big as Allison, has 72 KHL games already at the same age, plus 10 points in 7 WJC games for bronze medal winning Team Russia, and to me has clearly better hockey sense.

Hagg has 3 WJCs, 2 SHL seasons, and 3 AHL seasons under his belt after his age 21 season, plus an NHL game where he played very well.

So yes, Allison at this stage of their respective careers has not accomplished anywhere near what Vorobyov and Hagg have. Maybe one day he will, but as of the time of this ranking he sure hasn't. And as for pure physical attributes, Vorobyov and Hagg at least equal him, too.

Those are games played. Those aren't accomplishments. Every time I hear an argument for Hagg, it's how many pro games he's played. So what. What has he done in those games? That's what is important. Those guys had an opportunity to play pro games as international players. Good for them. That wasn't a legitimate option for Allison.

The NCHC is the best conference in college hockey. I know scoreboard scouting is your thing (which is hilarious for someone clamoring for Hagg) but comparing stats for guys in different leagues and calling it a day doesn't cut it. Smirnov didn't even light up the Big Ten all that much. He beat up on out of conference cup cakes in the beginning of the year (Laczynski did as well to a lesser extent). He went in the 6th round as a 3rd year eligible for a reason.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Vorobyov has 72 KHL games by simple virtue of being Russian. Allison could have played in the KHL had he grown up in Russia. That's not an accomplishment. He was great at the WJC, but let's be honest with ourselves, Kaprizov was stirring that drink, not Vorobyov.

Hagg has three seasons of middling AHL effectiveness. And frankly, the first two seasons were probably less than mediocre. He played on some Swedish WJC teams, yes, but showing up isn't really an accomplishment. Lots of players make it to the WJC and the AHL. Jesper Pettersson (remember him?) had accomplished that by the time he was 21 for all the good it did him.

Laczynski, like you said, has a comparable NCAA season under his belt. They're pretty close. Neither has any more pedigree than the other.

So none of these guys have proven any more than Allison has when controlling for actual circumstances. None of them have proven very much. I don't see why we would give Hagg or Vorobyov any extra credit for playing pro hockey.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can we again just clear up that winning by a lot of votes isn't the same as people seeing a big difference between players.

If you asked people which of 1,000,000,000,001 or 1,000,000,000,000 is the bigger number, the votes would be unanimous for the first option EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE CLOSE.

Disparity in votes =/= disparity in options.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Those are games played. Those aren't accomplishments.

So your premise is that it isn't an accomplishment for Vorobyov to have played 72 KHL games in his 17 and 18 year old seasons? Or Hagg to have played 77 SHL games in his 17 and 18 year old seasons?

Come on now. Is it not an accomplishment for Provorov and Konecny to have played in the NHL at 19? It's absolutely an accomplishment to earn regular playing time among men in high level professional leagues at those ages.

I know scoreboard scouting is your thing (which is hilarious for someone clamoring for Hagg) but comparing stats for guys in different leagues and calling it a day doesn't cut it.

Oh, so now I'm only "comparing stats for guys in different leagues and calling it a day?" Convenient and disingenuous, because in every post pertaining to my analysis I mentioned that I don't like Allison's hockey sense or puckhandling, whereas I think Vorobyov has terrific hockey sense and better puck skills, and also mentioned that Vorobyov is just as big, and that both he and Hagg have terrific raw physical attributes that equal or better Allison's physical abilities.

And if you want to go back to just production, re: Smirnov -- he didn't just have a better freshman season, he also had better USHL seasons than Allison in every comparable season. At this point, at basically the exact same age, Smirnov has had the better career.

Vorobyov has 72 KHL games by simple virtue of being Russian. Allison could have played in the KHL had he grown up in Russia. That's not an accomplishment. He was great at the WJC, but let's be honest with ourselves, Kaprizov was stirring that drink, not Vorobyov.

I very much doubt your argument that Allison would have equaled Vorobyov in KHL playing time had he only played in Russia. And I also like how you discount Vorobyov notching 10 points in 7 WJC games for Team Russia, being their 2nd leading scorer and tying for 3rd overall in points in the entire WJC, simply because he was good enough to earn the first line center role and play with Kaprizov.

Even though I disagree with your projection that Allison is more likely to be an NHL scoring line player than Vorobyov, I think it's at least a reasonable basis for your ranking him ahead of Vorobyov as a prospect -- but to act like Vorobyov and Hagg haven't accomplished more at the same stages in their careers as Allison, I cannot get on board with that logic.

Can we again just clear up that winning by a lot of votes isn't the same as people seeing a big difference between players.

If you asked people which of 1,000,000,000,001 or 1,000,000,000,000 is the bigger number, the votes would be unanimous for the first option EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE CLOSE.

Disparity in votes =/= disparity in options.

That's a misrepresentation of my point. I'm not arguing people are saying there's a big difference between Allison and everyone else who hasn't been ranked yet. I think that's obvious. I'm saying that I can't believe more people rank Allison ahead of Vorobyov and Hagg than the latter two combined, regardless of how small those wide-consensus voters believe the difference to be.

I'm not trying to sound like an ******* here, which can be easy to do on message boards. But I think the Allison ranking has far more to do with what people hope he will be than what he's actually shown to date. Like I said, maybe he'll end up the best player of the remaining prospects on the list, but, as of right now, I'm not seeing the indication.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just love a great, impassioned debate over prospects 8, 9, 10, 11..... :)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Have to disagree on this Jojo. Hagg came over here to play for the Phantoms when he was old enough to still play Jr and played well. He's learned the NA game and really showed good development last year. His second year he struggled, but that is not surprising at all, given that D is the hardest position to learn. He looked to confident in his call up - big, strong skater, moved the puck, defended well, joined the rush. His game is coming together nicely.

Hey, I could be completely and utterly wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

I certainly didn't expect him to look like the second coming of Gudas in his one game audition, but of course that wasn't exactly a sparkling example of NHL competition. There's definitely a nonzero chance I don't see progress because I've never seen what others do in him even if I think it's a tiny one.

I don't think it's a lack of point production because 60% of my posts on the main boards are about people not seeing Hampus Lindholm for the top 10 D that he is. I don't disagree that he has a lot of those components. They just never seem to add up to me.

Just love a great, impassioned debate over prospects 8, 9, 10, 11..... :)

And 16. ;)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's a misrepresentation of my point. I'm not arguing people are saying there's a big difference between Allison and everyone else who hasn't been ranked yet. I think that's obvious. I'm saying that I can't believe more people rank Allison ahead of Vorobyov and Hagg than the latter two combined, regardless of how small those wide-consensus voters believe the difference to be.

I'm not trying to sound like an ******* here, which can be easy to do on message boards. But I think the Allison ranking has far more to do with what people hope he will be than what he's actually shown to date. Like I said, maybe he'll end up the best player of the remaining prospects on the list, but, as of right now, I'm not seeing the indication.

That's what it sounded like you were saying before, but regardless, this wasn't really directed at you as much as it was a general PSA. You reminded me of it, but it's something I see all the time all over the place.

And I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's true. It's not what I hope he will be, it's what he potentially could be if the flashes he has shown are indicative of his future skill set. So yes, it's what I'm hoping he'll be, same as how we judge all prospects, but not in a way where I'm just projecting a desired skill set on him that isn't actually there. He does have some solid skill and if he keeps improving I think that skill set could be more valuable to this team than the skill sets of some other guys. That's all.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Speaking of voting Flyers prospects, I am really enjoying fans in the "Polls" section having a fit about Flyers fans voting for too many of our prospects and ruining the poll. Should go vote en masse and make sure Lindblom wins the current poll :laugh:

Man, I've never wandered into that forum before. They're actually debating the Lucic vs. Marleau contracts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad