Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #8

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am going to go with Vorobyov here. I really like what I have seen from him through last couple of years, very solid showing in KHL, then WJC ... Seems like he could be really valuable and good center in the NHL if everything goes well for him in his transition to NA. Hope he will be handled properly in the AHL.

Very close though.

Surprised by amount of votes for Wade Allison. I feel that #8 is too early for him.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
One of them played, and played well, in the second best league in the world. He was also the top center on the Russian tournament team.

Yeah, that's a very good point.

Allison had an excellent post draft year in a very good NCAA conference where he was one of the best players on a team that went from god-awful to pretty darn good in one year. We also have the huge playoff run to close his draft year in the USHL. Players of his profile often get knocked down a peg or two or three for their skating, but that's not an issue for him. While he will need to be paired with a playmaker at this level, there's a much more clear path for him than some others to maximize his abilities in this org, as there aren't many others of his profile. The reasonable upside is the highest to me here.

As is that.

Thus, my dilemma. But I went with Allison because I think he can have a slightly bigger impact on our results than Voro, even though I like Voro better, because Allison is a ginger and Voro is a pimp.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am going to go with Vorobyov here. I really like what I have seen from him through last couple of years, very solid showing in KHL, then WJC ... Seems like he could be really valuable and good center in the NHL if everything goes well for him in his transition to NA. Hope he will be handled properly in the AHL.

Very close though.

Surprised by amount of votes for Wade Allison. I feel that #8 is too early for him.

Too early?

He should have been #1...

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
If Allison, Vorobyov & Hagg are the ones who will round out Top 10, then I am okay with this.

I have laczynski over hagg 32 pts in 34 NCAA games for Ohio state as a freshman is a great draft+1 year:nod:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is it was his draft +2 year, he went undrafted the year before.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Interesting how few have mentioned Laberge. He had an injury plagued year, but before that he was viewed as a similar talent to what Frost was for this draft... late first round riser. Not saying he belongs here at #8, but amazing how few have even mentioned him.

I am going Allison. That said, my guess is that the next 5 picks could all have been 8 and no one would be surprised. Clearly at the start of that next tier of prospects.

Laberge had a bad year, some in his control and some out of his control. Regardless, that's a bad year in his development that ~15 other guys with good upside did not have.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't care about the numbers or the age, I care about the skillset that's plain to see. Big guy, super hard worker, very good skater, fairly creative, and a really good shot. If he keeps improving then great, doesn't matter if he was a late bloomer.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't care about the numbers or the age, I care about the skillset that's plain to see. Big guy, super hard worker, very good skater, fairly creative, and a really good shot. If he keeps improving then great, doesn't matter if he was a late bloomer.

He's also got a hell of a troll face. Gonna rustle a lot of jimmies with this one:

wade-allison.jpg

He's probably my favorite prospect in the system, tbh. I can see him being a guy like Hartnell who tends to piss off both opposing fans and his own fans regularly. He doesn't strike me as a brilliant hockey mind, but he's a shot generator with the energy and willingness to take pucks to the net and make plays. That's a fun skill set to have.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He's also got a hell of a troll face. Gonna rustle a lot of jimmies with this one:

wade-allison.jpg

He's probably my favorite prospect in the system, tbh. I can see him being a guy like Hartnell who tends to piss off both opposing fans and his own fans regularly. He doesn't strike me as a brilliant hockey mind, but he's a shot generator with the energy and willingness to take pucks to the net and make plays. That's a fun skill set to have.

Ugh, I can't stand looking at that. I wish they'd fit him with like a Man in the Iron Mask get-up or something. Gingers freak me out, and I mean real gingers, like this guy - G is more like a sandy ginger or something - this guy is as orange as Pinocchio's pancake make-up on CSN (RIP).

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

+Sick flow
+Michigan student athlete

****** intangibles breakdown, Str¡¡ker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

wade-allison.jpg

Lindblom-Patrick-Allison

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yessssssssssssssssssssss :laugh:

+Sick flow
+Michigan student athlete

****** intangibles breakdown, Str¡¡ker

Sorry. :baghead:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Laczynski's season would have been just as impressive if he was a sophomore.

Laczynski and Allison are also only a few months apart in age, with the former a summer birthday and the latter one of the oldest guys in the class last year. They both played 2 USHL years prior to college. So they're the same age and on the same timeline. Laczynski being a re-entry only blurs that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laczynski's season would have been just as impressive if he was a sophomore.

When you go nondrafted, then 6th rd, scouts have pretty much written you off as a top prospect. Now one reason he went undrafted was a June birthday, so he was underage his draft year, but didn't have a great USHL season. Played better the next year and got drafted late. Doesn't mean he hasn't outplayed his scouting reports, but I doubt Laczynski is the next Myers (who made a huge jump from a subpar pre-draft performance) or Lindblom (who slipped to 5th rd b/c of questions about skating which he answered).

And his performance was good, but not exceptional, for a freshman:
Clayton Keller 31g 21-24 45
Denis Smirnov 39g 19-28 47
Joe Snively 33g 14-25 39
Henrik Borgstrom 37g 22-21 43
Trent Frederic 30g 15-18 33
Tyson Jost 33g 16-19 35
Ryan Kuffner 34g 19-17 36
Tanner Laczynski 34g 10-22 32

Vecchione:
Freshman 38g 14-20 34
Sophomore 39g 19-31 50
and he wasn't even drafted.

If Laczynski is in the top 10 of NCAA scorers this year, I reserve the right to change my mind and move him way up my list! I think he's a solid candidate for the bottom six, but will have to substantially raise his game to be considered much more.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Very true. But with a bounce back season, Laberge could rocket up our list faster than about anyone.

exactly. I love laberge, can really see him having a great year and going up this list fast.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't forget that Laczynski came back from the WJC sick, stayed sick for quite a while, and then wasn't put back where he was pre-WJC.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
There are so many good prospects left!

I have Vorobyev and Laczynski as my next 2, with the edge to Vorobyev. I think he translates to the NHL as an actual center, so he has the positional value edge.

[Tweet]816781038911455233[/MEDIA]

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When you go nondrafted, then 6th rd, scouts have pretty much written you off as a top prospect. Now one reason he went undrafted was a June birthday, so he was underage his draft year, but didn't have a great USHL season. Played better the next year and got drafted late. Doesn't mean he hasn't outplayed his scouting reports, but I doubt Laczynski is the next Myers (who made a huge jump from a subpar pre-draft performance) or Lindblom (who slipped to 5th rd b/c of questions about skating which he answered).

And his performance was good, but not exceptional, for a freshman:
Clayton Keller 31g 21-24 45
Denis Smirnov 39g 19-28 47
Joe Snively 33g 14-25 39
Henrik Borgstrom 37g 22-21 43
Trent Frederic 30g 15-18 33
Tyson Jost 33g 16-19 35
Ryan Kuffner 34g 19-17 36
Tanner Laczynski 34g 10-22 32

Vecchione:
Freshman 38g 14-20 34
Sophomore 39g 19-31 50
and he wasn't even drafted.

If Laczynski is in the top 10 of NCAA scorers this year, I reserve the right to change my mind and move him way up my list! I think he's a solid candidate for the bottom six, but will have to substantially raise his game to be considered much more.

Where in the world did I imply he's the next Myers or Lindblom? Secondly the USHL isn't nearly as high scoring of a league compared to the CHL. So scoring 46 points in 57 games mostly as 17 year old in that league is still a good draft year. He was still in the top 35 league wide & 6th in U18 scoring. It's not the first time & wont be the last time the NHL got it wrong with a player in terms of being draft worthy.

As for Vecchione he was already 20+ year old when he was a sophomore. He also played on an older power house Union team in a much weaker conference in the ECAC.

That's just statiscal breakdowns & treating players as equal which isn't the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad