2017-18 EFL Carabao Cup

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hardly. That shows they tried to win the Cup, either with their starters or their backups. And saying other teams start their backup is just wrong. Winning the CC for WH is a huge deal.
If they felt, like you have said in this thread that winning the CC would hinder their chances at qualifying for the CL, they wouldn't have even tried.

Right? That's your own logic.
Again, the top 5 in form teams in the EPL were all up this round. 4 went through, one lost at home.

Just to be clear you think that results indicate desire to win?

So Pep playing 3 guys in the backline that he had never used at all this season doesn't indicate that he thinks less of this than other competitions but if they had a bad bounce and lost that game that they needed penalties, at home, against a championship side then it would have shown they didn't care?

Even West Ham uses Joe Hart in EPL but switches to Adrian. If it was such a big deal to them why not go with the first choice goalie? Sam Byram hasn't played an EPL game all season, but played all 3 Caribao Cup games. Seems like an odd choice considering as you said "other teams starting their back-ups is wrong."

Now that is just the 3 teams I checked I could go look at the others. Maybe these 3 are the outliers but it seems clear as day that saying other teams start their back-ups is pretty bang on.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Backup goalies always start in Cup competitions. Always. Only action they see all year.

Again, I told you teams would use backups for the most part among big teams. Smaller teams use mostly their starters, and never goalies.

But again you chose to ignore everything I wrote. And again, big teams winning the CC shows you that don't share your view that somehow winning the CC prevents them from qualifying for the CL.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean if Spurs fans are happy with giving up 3 second half goals in a game you're leading 2 nil against a team that's level on points with the relegation zone and is themselves rotating their squad just because the competition doesn't matter, then I suppose more power to ya.

But eventually if you wanna be taken seriously as a top team, you gotta win something, even if it's a "meaningless" cup.

Reactions: All Might

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also re: goalies. United used Romero for the EL last year, including in the later stages when it was clear it was their only path to the CL. Must have meant they didn't really want to win it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I mean if Spurs fans are happy with giving up 3 second half goals in a game you're leading 2 nil against a team that's level on points with the relegation zone and is themselves rotating their squad just because the competition doesn't matter, then I suppose more power to ya.

But eventually if you wanna be taken seriously as a top team, you gotta win something, even if it's a "meaningless" cup.

Which Spurs fan has said they were happy with that?

So if Spurs create their own Cup to win then they are considered a big club because they won a trophy?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Backup goalies always start in Cup competitions. Always. Only action they see all year.

Again, I told you teams would use backups for the most part among big teams. Smaller teams use mostly their starters, and never goalies.

But again you chose to ignore everything I wrote. And again, big teams winning the CC shows you that don't share your view that somehow winning the CC prevents them from qualifying for the CL.

I showed a lot more back-ups than just goalies.

I quoted what you said exactly and showed how it was 100% wrong.

What about this quote "saying other teams start their backup is just wrong" then showing Man City and West Ham using back-up defenders is me ignoring what you said. That directly contradicts exactly what you said.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Going to great lengths to say how the competition doesn’t matter immediately after you’re eliminated, is all but saying that

I posted my opinions about this in another thread before the CC even started.

And you can hate the Carabao Cup without being happy about the result.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Which Spurs fan has said they were happy with that?

So if Spurs create their own Cup to win then they are considered a big club because they won a trophy?
I've seen spurs fan say they're happy because they get less games and hence a well rested squad.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I've seen spurs fan say they're happy because they get less games and hence a well rested squad.

Sure I could see some fans being happy that they are out of the Cup but unless I am reading that post wrong I think it was more a shot at the way they went out rather than being out altogether.

I wouldn't say I am happy to be out because I always prefer to win games then lose them but I am pretty indifferent overall because I don't care about the Carabao Cup.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sure I could see some fans being happy that they are out of the Cup but unless I am reading that post wrong I think it was more a shot at the way they went out rather than being out altogether.

I wouldn't say I am happy to be out because I always prefer to win games then lose them but I am pretty indifferent overall because I don't care about the Carabao Cup.
Yes I agree with you entirely. I feel the same way. Will be indifferent until they make the Semis and to that point I'd want them to win a trophy.

FA Cup is a different mindset since it's much more prestigious. And because Arsenal keep winning it :D.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Chelsea escape a terrible second half and United lose in the last minute of extra time.

Unbelievable scenes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Finally caught the highlights of the game. Good on Bristol for playing a solid game. Didn't just park the bus and hope for a fluke goal, but tried to create things.

They'll probably get crushed by City, but still good to see them get this far.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Damn shame, Aguero scored at the death and City won 2-1. Bristol City played positively, really feel bad for them

Would've been funny if City went to penalties for a third time in a row (whoops, still could happen in second leg actually)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal starting both Iwobi and Welbeck tonight. Oh boy...
With all due respect, this shouldn't be shocking to anyone anymore. We've had a brain dead manager since five years ago, but I argue that it has been longer. He's getting by with superb scouting department and unique situations such as Oezil/Sanchez being forced out for Bale/Suarez/Neymar....or Lacazette coming because Atletico being banned.

Arsene though isn't the only problem, I honestly think he wants the team to be much better in depth and have some more talent on the pitch, but is being held back by internal budgets.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00