Boston Bruins 2017-18 Bruins Regular Season

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017
the main problem right now with the bruins imo are 2 things #1 bergeron and backes out at the sametime is a huge part of why the team is 1-2 to start the season..both those guys in there will help in all areas leadership faceoffs special teams and balancing out the lines..which leads me to the 2nd biggest issue..to many rookies..you cant have 2 top 6 forwards as rookies..krejci cant play with bjork and debrusk..i rather he play with jagr and igilna...those are 2 fine prospects but let them grow in providence they are not ready for top 6 minutes..cassidy is in a tough spot with backes and bergy out but hopefully 37 is back this weekend and 42 by november ...rask must be better but so does the d play in front of him to many odd men rushes breakdowns and helter skelter play in their own end..its early and with a healthy lineup the bs could challenge..but they need do fix their top 6 debrusk and bjork should be on 3rd or 4th lines

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Chara -Carlo are your 1-2 Dmen. They should be our 5-6. McAovoy and Krug should be 1-2 and 3-4 we dont have. Thats it in a nutshell.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Nash on the PP is a problem. I thought Clode was fired?
If Chara is on the top pair, he needs a capable, mobile partner.
Krug will be fine.
Beleskey has looked better this year. More like his 2015-16 self.
Bergeron and Backes will not only bring needed skill when they return, but also experience and leadership.
Bjork will begin to shine once her has the anchor of Bergy/Marchy, and there will be a trickle down effect as well. Vatrano has had a good start, and will benefit from this as well.
Trade Spooner.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I didn't say Nash is the problem, I said him on the PP is a problem. Any team running Riley Nash on their PP units has a problem.
We didn't lose to Colorado because Nash got pp time. We lost because Bergeron is hurt Backes is sick and Spooner is still a boy. Nothing to do with Nash.

Reactions: CaliBruinsFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bracing for the hate here in response, but frankly, I just don't see this team doing anything this year or next with $10 million tied up in Backes and Beleskey. Even if we dish Nash and Spooner next year, signing these guys doomed us.
Hate? You are their God with this post

It's easy to be negative

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What's the story with Beleskey? Is he just out of shape/not conditioned? Or is it a classic case of "got paid, stopped trying"?

Last year prior to his injury, IMO that was the case. Then the knee injury added to the problem.

By his own account, he changed his off-season training, dropped some weight. He's looked quicker, but not by much, and not enough to be effective.

I don't believe a guy who got as far as he did mostly through hard work and relentless play (because he's not really all that talented), that he's resting on his laurels and not trying.

Certainly confidence is one issue, you don't see such a sharp drop off in production without it affecting a players confidence. I would imagine at this stage he's pretty frustrated.

What I don't get, is what changed post-deadline 2016, and now. Because his drop-off in production is startling:

First 60 games in Boston:

13 G, 19 A = 32 points

Next 75 games in Boston

5 G, 8 A = 13 points

If you look at his totals in Anaheim in 2014-15 for all 81 games (reg. and playoffs) his total were 30 G, 11 A, 41 points.

So his goal production went down significantly coming to Boston from Anaheim (essentially gone from a 30 goal player to a 20 goal player) but his point production remained the same (half a point a game roughly), up to the 2016 deadline.

Is there something to be taken from these numbers? Who did he play with in Anaheim during his 30 goal year? I think it was Kesler.

More importantly, is there anything about his line-mates in Boston that have impacted his start drop off since March 2016? The only thing I can think of is he was moved from a line with Krejci, and put on a line with Spooner. Off the top of my head it's the only change I can recall.

He's not a player who can generate his own offensive looks. He's a complimentary player. I don't think they will ever see the type of production they expected if he's on a 3rd line with Spooner, or a 4th line with Nash/Acciari/etc.

Reactions: TorontLoL 67

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bracing for the hate here in response, but frankly, I just don't see this team doing anything this year or next with $10 million tied up in Backes and Beleskey. Even if we dish Nash and Spooner next year, signing these guys doomed us.

If the team is rebuilding, and wasn’t going to do much in the next two years, how exactly did signing two vets that can help the rookies learn how to be NHL players “doom us”??

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
Last year prior to his injury, IMO that was the case. Then the knee injury added to the problem.

By his own account, he changed his off-season training, dropped some weight. He's looked quicker, but not by much, and not enough to be effective.

I don't believe a guy who got as far as he did mostly through hard work and relentless play (because he's not really all that talented), that he's resting on his laurels and not trying.

Certainly confidence is one issue, you don't see such a sharp drop off in production without it affecting a players confidence. I would imagine at this stage he's pretty frustrated.

What I don't get, is what changed post-deadline 2016, and now. Because his drop-off in production is startling:

First 60 games in Boston:

13 G, 19 A = 32 points

Next 75 games in Boston

5 G, 8 A = 13 points

If you look at his totals in Anaheim in 2014-15 for all 81 games (reg. and playoffs) his total were 30 G, 11 A, 41 points.

So his goal production went down significantly coming to Boston from Anaheim (essentially gone from a 30 goal player to a 20 goal player) but his point production remained the same (half a point a game roughly), up to the 2016 deadline.

Is there something to be taken from these numbers? Who did he play with in Anaheim during his 30 goal year? I think it was Kesler.

More importantly, is there anything about his line-mates in Boston that have impacted his start drop off since March 2016? The only thing I can think of is he was moved from a line with Krejci, and put on a line with Spooner. Off the top of my head it's the only change I can recall.

He's not a player who can generate his own offensive looks. He's a complimentary player. I don't think they will ever see the type of production they expected if he's on a 3rd line with Spooner, or a 4th line with Nash/Acciari/etc.

Thanks for the insight! :nod:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If the team is rebuilding, and wasn’t going to do much in the next two years, how exactly did signing two vets that can help the rookies learn how to be NHL players “doom us”??
Glory, Glory, Glory...come come, now. I'm basically saying that what has doomed us is the signing of two questionable players slotted for top 6 roles in (Beleskey: on the hopes that he would continue the one good playoff run he had [while playing with great linemates, to boot]) and (Backes: on the hopes that his age, injury history and style of play would continue for 5 full years) for a combined cap hit of $10 million is the reason why we're in the position we're in.

If Sweeneely had made better decisions, acquisitions, at better money, and we had acquired better players for the same or less money, we'd be in tall cotton instead of wallowing as we are (last season) and so far into this season.

"I" say we're rebuilding. The team somehow didn't think we would be, but it should be becoming clear by now that even with our fine youth, the Bruins are still a very weak team...

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Beleskey is not going to get bought out. He costs too much. If they seriously want to get rid of him, they will bundle him with Vatrano or Spooner for a pick making room for that top line in Prov to come up.

Florida basically did that, giving up an undersized 30G scorer to be rid of Smith's contract. Someone in need of a PP boost or are enamored with Vatrano's shot will take Beleskey and give up a pick as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad