Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
tumblr_nmdy8vzdIu1t8djo7o1_500.jpg

Everything is happening!!!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm shocked someone wanted to take him right now. But then again, according to Friedman, there's teams interested in Slava Voynov. I guess nothing in this league should surprise me.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

:laugh:

Holy ****. San Jose just made them look like complete fools.

Meanwhile the Sharks managed to get a 2nd, 4th, and two 5ths for Boedker's contract, a 6th, and a 7th. Draft picks are like gold.

Benning "It's hard to get draft picks"

So annoying to hear our GM complain about how hard it is to get draft picks when Wilson just pulled that off. Show some f***ing creativity for once in your damn life.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
How is Dorion in charge of a $400 million organization? how is Benning in charge of a $700 million organization? boggles the mind that an owner would trust either of these guys with that responsibility.
Dorion was in quite a pickle here, so i wouldn't put that much blame on him for this specific trade.
The latter tho...thats the $700m question, is it not? :sarcasm:

Reactions: tyhee

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
And that is why "don't trade within your division" is a stupid ****ing tenet to have.

It's always been dumb. The best thing you can do is trade within your division if it helps accomplish your end-goal. It's why the Canucks should be trading veterans to the Sharks and Ducks right now for young players as you help your future while weakening the future of your division. This is actually one of the few things Benning has done properly in trading guys like Bieksa, Hansen, and Kesler inside his division for younger players or picks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dorion was in quite a pickle here, so i wouldn't put that much blame on him for this specific trade.

There's no reason that he couldn't have made the same or similar trade with Florida. Terrible moves by Dorion, and he has to be considered the worst GM in the league right now.. or at least until Bergevin or Benning do something even more dumb later this week.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Dorion has been a total tire fire as a GM. The only team I'd feel confident about winning a trade with right now would be Ottawa.

He was in a pickle with Hoffman but still ended up getting bamboozled despite the lowered expectations.

Reactions: Hemty

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Ottawa is now the worst run organization in professional sports at this point unless there's some baseball team out there.

My god this is ridiculous.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
There's no reason that he couldn't have made the same or similar trade with Florida. Terrible moves by Dorion, and he has to be considered the worst GM in the league right now.. or at least until Bergevin or Benning do something even more dumb later this week.

Dorion's moves are probably not optimum and I'm certainly not about to suggest he's a good general manager, but there may be a bit of piling on here.

In his trade with the Sharks Dorion got Mikkel Boedker (a capable right winger under contract for two more seasons) and Julius Bergman (a middling defence prospect.) He gave up Hoffman (who most no doubt feel he had to trade) and defensive prospect Cody Donaghey. They also gave up a 5th round pick for a 6th round pick.

Boedker is still a competent third line winger (might be higher on the Sens) and Bergman is still a prospect with some chance of making the NHL. Donaghey is a contract dump, an ECHL player whose chances of ever making the NHL are really, really remote. So really the trade amounts, essentially, to Hoffman for Boedker and Bergman.

Normally that would look awful. In the circumstances, with the allegations against Hoffman's girlfriend and Hoffman just coming off a season in which he produced offensively but his defensive play and work ethic were cricized, Hoffman's trade value was much less than would normally be the case.

Boedker is still effective and will have salary less than his cap hit for the next two seasons. For the cash-strapped Senators that has some small value. Boedker may have more value to the Sens than he did to the Sharks. The Sens can use the lower salary (than cap hit,) they have a weaker roster and on the Sharks portion of this board, there is considerable discussion about getting enough cap space to go afher high profile free agents. I think we can all assume that not even the most ardent Senators fan would consider they'd be an entrant in the John Tavares Sweepstakes nor in the John Carlson or Ilya Kovalchuk lotteries.

If the Sharks had traded Boedker and Bergman to the Panthers for 2nd and 4th round picks, would there be much crticism of the Sharks? That's pretty close to being the choice that Dorion was facing in taking the Sharks' offer or the Panthers' offer.

It might that giving up Hoffman and a 7th for 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks (as the Sharks did) would have been better, but the Sens get some immediate help at forward to help set off the immediate effect of losing Hoffman while lowering their cap hit and their total payroll and getting a defensive prospect for a salary dump. It isn't good, but it isn't a complete loss, either.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Come on Benning.

it is sitting RIGHT THERE.
Take on Paul Martin's contract. 1 year $5 million and he can be sent to the minors.
You couldn't have something laid out for you better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad