World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Do not think so since MÃ¥rts seems to be leaving before world cup. But he still fights about the last places in the team, so it is not a big deal unless we miss a lot of centers.

In my mind Steen was very mediocre in the last olympics. He is a solid player but nothing special, so a bottom 6 player not top 6.

But I do not really know if you talk about olympics or world cup. Olympics is a little bit far off, so I guess you mean world cup?

I hope we ship Modo J20 to world cup.

Steen had a mediocre Olympics but he is not a mediocre player normally.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
"Victor Hedman is a great guy and a good all-round player, but that's the problem when you're a great all-round guy you don't really get a defensive or offensive edge."
-Per MÃ¥rts

Forgive, but never forget the depths of MÃ¥rts's stupidity. That comment just shows that he is either incompetent, stupid or is biased against certain players. Either way it means that he is unfit as a national HC.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
"Victor Hedman is a great guy and a good all-round player, but that's the problem when you're a great all-round guy you don't really get a defensive or offensive edge."
-Per MÃ¥rts

Forgive, but never forget the depths of MÃ¥rts's stupidity. That comment just shows that he is either incompetent, stupid or is biased against certain players. Either way it means that he is unfit as a national HC.

The simple answer is probably his bad WC the year before. I honestly don't think the decision to leave him off the team was that bad, the tournament was played during his breakout season and MÃ¥rts decided to go with chemistry instead of choosing the best players available. I would have done it the other way but you can't really be unhappy with the end result.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The simple answer is probably his bad WC the year before. I honestly don't think the decision to leave him off the team was that bad, the tournament was played during his breakout season and MÃ¥rts decided to go with chemistry instead of choosing the best players available. I would have done it the other way but you can't really be unhappy with the end result.
Except that wasn't how he explained it. His explanation was that he did not think Hedman provided an offensive or defensive edge, yet he picked guys like Ericsson and Oduya, I do realize that he really probably picked those guys due to their superior defensive partner(although chemistry between Kronwall and Ericsson seems ridiculous to me everytime I watch Detroit it seems as if Ericsson holds Kronwall back not helps him). But that does not change the fact that he officially diminished Hedman as a player in the media which is just a terrible way to lead a team.

Last edited:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

More like 2 years before. Yes, but in the end I think the big reason is that he do not watch very much NHL hockey, he have admitted that, so he probably hardly knew about Hedman breakout and only remember the Hedman from 2012.

MÃ¥rts result are perfectly ok both in that tournament and overall, but if he only watch some hockey, that would make even better and also deal with the players in a better way.

Btw, he didnt just not have in the team he also didnt have him among the reserve, instead he he had E Gustafsson and Grossman.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Except that wasn't how he explained it. His explanation was that he did not think Hedman provided an offensive or defensive edge, yet he picked guys like Ericsson and Oduya, I do realize that he really probably picked those guys due to their superior defensive partner(although chemistry between Kronwall and Ericsson seems ridiculous to me everytime I watch Detroit it seems as if Ericsson holds Kronwall back not helps him). But that does not change the fact that he officially diminished Hedman as a player in the media which is just a terrible way to lead a team.

Hedman is not really a guy you use as a 5th or 6th defenseman. He has to play a lot to be effective, the same thing goes with quite a few defencemen on that team. I don't think MÃ¥rts diminished Hedman as a player, he just explained that his style didn't fit in with the other group of D that was available.

For the next big tournaments I would like to see Karlsson, OEL & Hedman drive the offense on their pairings with Lindholm, Hjalmarsson & Brodin as their partners. Guys like Klingberg & Larsson will need another year to prove that they are in the mix. Kronwall is certainly in the mix as well but I personally don't like him as a player. Ericsson & Oduya don't belong on our team.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Hedman is not really a guy you use as a 5th or 6th defenseman. He has to play a lot to be effective, the same thing goes with quite a few defencemen on that team. I don't think MÃ¥rts diminished Hedman as a player, he just explained that his style didn't fit in with the other group of D that was available.

For the next big tournaments I would like to see Karlsson, OEL & Hedman drive the offense on their pairings with Lindholm, Hjalmarsson & Brodin as their partners. Guys like Klingberg & Larsson will need another year to prove that they are in the mix. Kronwall is certainly in the mix as well but I personally don't like him as a player. Ericsson & Oduya don't belong on our team.

But he did.. Just read what he said.

Plus why wouldnt Hedman be able to play in a third d-pair anyway? What does that based on? Also look at how they where played in the olympics, pretty much all got the same amount of play-time.Not even EK played over 20 min.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Claiming that Hedman is a guy that has to play a lot to be effective is something that needs to be backed up by stats especially when Hedman had more games under 20 min of ice time before the Olympic roster was selected than Ericsson did. Whether or not it was intentional MÃ¥rts DID diminish Hedman as a player by suggesting he doesn't provide an edge.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
For 2016 or 2018?

Imo he's the 3rd or 4th best right now, but more importantly I don't see him competing with Brodin. Him and OEL, Karlsson, Hedman are the top4 when it comes to the full package. Round them out with Lindholm, Hjalmarsson and Brodin/Strålman and I'm good.

Btw 14 Swedish Ds averaging over 20 minutes/game, and Larsson/Ekholm are getting there soon. It's tough to pick 'em.

If Klingberg continues, he will battle out Kronwall.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
But he has contract to 2019 with Frölunda?

Because coaches have never left a job for a more prestigious one before...

Old response from the thread about MÃ¥rts in the Sweden forum:

I don't see any reason why he would turn down the national team job. Higher profile, less work, higher pay (I'm assuming) and more job security (when was the last time a national team head coach was fired?).

In addition to that, the national team job would give him international exposure that could land him a job in Russia or Switzerland that will pay him more than any SHL gig ever will, hell if he does well enough the national team might even be a springboard for a job in the NHL.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Interesting who the coach will be

MÃ¥rts have a contract to World Championshio 2016? He will then quit, and a couple months after it is World Cup. So this new coach will only have a couple of months on him, and while Im not sure, I wouldnt be surprise if they also have to take out the squad for the world cup like 6 months before the tournament, so MÃ¥rts will then maybe take out a team he will not coach? Do not feel like they are taking this world cup so seriously and MÃ¥rts comment also indicates that.

My bet is on Grönborg. But I really hope Im wrong. I want to see someone from the outside. Go with the one that have the best result, and that is Wallson.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

In addition to that, the national team job would give him international exposure that could land him a job in Russia or Switzerland that will pay him more than any SHL gig ever will, hell if he does well enough the national team might even be a springboard for a job in the NHL.

It depends on how the contract is written? Can he just leave when he wants to? If not, then they have to buy him out unless maybe Frölunda want to get rid of him.

coursy17

Jan 2, 2012
2016 I'll assume Zett/Sedins/Back/ everyone will be healthy

Zetterberg Backstrom Nyquist
Sedin Sedin Steen
Forsberg Johanssen Hornqvuist
Hagelin Kruger Landeskog
Option A) Berglund (if too small/weak in C he can plug in)
Option B) Franzen (Feel like injuries are plaguing his effectiveness)
-Silvferberg, Zibenajad, Lindholm also possibilities but I feel they haven't shown enough or arent able to play a role as well as krug/Hag

EK65 Kronwall
OEL Hedman
Hjalmersson Lindholm
Klingberg

Lundqvist
Enroth
Lack

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
For 2016 World Cup I'd take this:

Zetterberg - Backstrom - Forsberg
Sedin - Sedin - Nyquist
Steen - Soderberg - Eriksson
Landeskog - Zibanejad - Hornqvist
Johansson

Kronwall - Karlsson
Hedman - Stralman
Hjalmarsson - OEL
Edler

Lundqvist
Svedberg
Enroth

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I'm skeptic towards Forsberg as a top line player. The numbers are more impressive than the player in his case I think.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
I'm skeptic towards Forsberg as a top line player. The numbers are more impressive than the player in his case I think.
I agree, that he can't have top-line minutes as a center, but I think, he would be very useful as wing, especially, having such experienced partners.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Henrik Zetterberg
Alexander Steen - Patrik Berglund - Gabriel Landeskog
Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Bäckström - Patric Hörnqvist
Carl Hagelin - Victor Hedman - Johan Franzén
Marcus Johansson - Carl Söderberg - Jakob Silfverberg
Mika Zibanejad - Mikael Backlund - Jimmie Ericsson

Hampus Lindholm - Erik Karlsson
Mattias Ekholm - Oliver Ekman Larsson
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Jonathan Ericsson
Alexander Edler - Adam Larsson
Nicklas Grossmann - Carl Gunnarsson
Oscar Klefbom - Patrik Nemeth

Henrik Lundqvist
Jhonas Enroth
Robin Lehner

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

Kronwall was the unquestioned leader of Tre Kronor once Z was out and did a splendid job at it. He embarrassed Teemu in the SF and was the best D we had come crunch time. How quick we forget, eh?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

He doesn't have an out. If Frölunda says no, which they will, it's not going to happen.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Kronwall was the unquestioned leader of Tre Kronor once Z was out and did a splendid job at it. He embarrassed Teemu in the SF and was the best D we had come crunch time. How quick we forget, eh?

I don't remember it that way. Let's just go with a young team this time.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I don't remember it that way. Let's just go with a young team this time.

I agree that we should go with a young team. Get them some experience. I really don't care how we do, it's not the Olympics we're talking about. But other than Karlsson, they haven't proven anything and placing any of them above Kronwall in Tre Kronor is pure bull. I get that you like the shiny new toys but get real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad