2016 Summer Transfer Discussion Part V - Deadline Edition

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Marquinhos was already starting since April so he wasn't blocked.
Luiz is a great guy who made 3 or 4 gaffes in two seasons. That surely doesn't weigh more than his character on and off the pitch, his great plays and key moments several times (I'm sure Chelsea fans don't need to be reminded of his late minute equalizer at SB).

He's a great guy, indeed. I'd say he makes way more than just 3 gaffes per season, though. For example, the penalty against Monaco was a joke.

Plus, would he be cool being only the backup CB while a 23y is starting the majority of the games and "stealing" his spot at the national team?

My only concern now is that PSG is really thin at CB. Is Presnel any good?

According to L'Equipe, PSG tried to buy Caio but couldn't finish it in time. They are going to buy or at least try to, in January.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I don't really get it either. After what six goals and a silver medal at the Olympics they just ship him off? Don't make no damn sense
He wanted to leave the UK, at least he'll get some playing time at Bremen. (In case he stays healty).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What if he does not want to play for chelsea?

If that ends up being the case and Conte ruins the situation like Jose did with De Bruyne, then we'll cross the bridge when we get there. Zouma and Christensen are our CB's of the future, especially when you factor in the ages of Terry, Cahill, and Luiz. If Conte wants a back 3, then Zouma-Luiz-Christensen make a great option being protected by Kante.

If they De Bruyne it up, then yes, he'd probably return to them, but why would a team that's will to spend boat loads of money on young players in a similar position of IMO, similar quality, not give Christensen the playing time to prove his spot. It doesn't make any sense for them to De Bruyne it up, where as Jose just made poor evaluations in the case of De Bruyne compared to the other attacking mids at the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ahhhh, that is extremely frustrating. What's the point of even having a youth academy and buying younger players, when we will eventually get rid of 99.9% of them?

This is giving me a disgusting taste in my mouth.

Not like you guys were using him or developing him.

As for his move, apparently Bayern paid the transfer fee and so have the right to bring him in next summer if they so choose. Unclear whether Bremen would have to refund Bayern the transfer fee if Bayern doesn't bring him down to Bavaria.

I don't really get it either. After what six goals and a silver medal at the Olympics they just ship him off? Don't make no damn sense

Last year of his contract and the player wanted to leave for a club were he'd actually play.

Let's not get greedy now ;)

It's not about greed. It's that Eberl has never spoken with such certainty about a deal that wasn't already finalized, and the Gladbach insiders have reported that they've already agreed to a 25M euro fee...the terms of the buyback just need to be sorted out.

They can offer all they want, Christensen will return to Chelsea.

At some point he probably will, but it doesn't seem like that will be next summer.

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Ahhhh, that is extremely frustrating. What's the point of even having a youth academy and buying younger players, when we will eventually get rid of 99.9% of them?

This is giving me a disgusting taste in my mouth.

Apparently Wenger tried to get him to sign a new contract but Gnabry wasn't interested...Arsenal would have lost him on a free next summer I believe.

just goofy to think Gnabry and Wilshere are gone, but Walcott and Ramsey remain.
at least Wilshere is a loan spell and will be back,..

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
My personal opinion on the last Mercato for the premier league major clubs.

I just cannot believe how easy it was for Manchester United to get all their targets without champion league. They basically outdone all other clubs in the world. Great job by Mourinho although his squad is way too big.

Arsène is getting influenced by his fans but he also needs to be way more proactive and pay the required amount to get the right players. (Mahrez and Lacazette) should have been cleared on the get go.

Chelsea just got the best player of this transfer windows with Kante. They did get great players early but failed at the end by going with plan B and C to fill their needs.

Tottenham they did nothing until the last hour (or so) were they aware that they could improve their team?

Liverpool, what the **** was that? We can clearly see that Klopp has a longterm project as he cleared 13 players (not all the squad but almost) while neglecting the biggest needs at left back. He will definitely have more time to get his team on the right track... but it seems like the team is going through a rebuild and they don't care about contending with the other major clubs.

Manchester City....buy all the players ask later. They did get very nice bargain buy but they also overpaid to fill their needs. They did great and Pep also seem to have a look for the long-term with a lot of top prospects.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He's a great guy, indeed. I'd say he makes way more than just 3 gaffes per season, though. For example, the penalty against Monaco was a joke.

Plus, would he be cool being only the backup CB while a 23y is starting the majority of the games and "stealing" his spot at the national team?

My only concern now is that PSG is really thin at CB. Is Presnel any good?

According to L'Equipe, PSG tried to buy Caio but couldn't finish it in time. They are going to buy or at least try to, in January.

He didn't make more gaffes than that with PSG.

I'm sure Luiz wants to start, which is absolutely normal. But I'm also sure he would't be gone if not for Emery's act last weekend.

PSG has Kimpembe as a solid #3 and Aurier who's excellent at CB. However, if Thiago Silva misses a lot of time for instance, they could be in trouble. That said, it should be enough to qualify in the CL and they'll get someone this winter.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He didn't make more gaffes than that with PSG.

I'm sure Luiz wants to start, which is absolutely normal. But I'm also sure he would't be gone if not for Emery's act last weekend.

PSG has Kimpembe as a solid #3 and Aurier who's excellent at CB. However, if Thiago Silva misses a lot of time for instance, they could be in trouble. That said, it should be enough to qualify in the CL and they'll get someone this winter.

Can definitely see them trying to get Sakho back. Especially with him not being cup tied.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They can offer all they want, Christensen will return to Chelsea.

I'm sure Christensen is DYING to get back to the club that loaned him and 37 other guys out each summer. Chelsea have almost 80 players registered, with 38 on loan.

I'm sure he feels more a BMG player than a Chelsea one. A lot of these guys are much Chelsea players as I am in FIFA Career Mode.

It's why I hated it when Miazga signed there. He's going to bounce around Europe in short loans until they sell him at 23. Stupid.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'm sure Christensen is DYING to get back to the club that loaned him and 37 other guys out each summer. Chelsea have almost 80 players registered, with 38 on loan.

I'm sure he feels more a BMG player than a Chelsea one. A lot of these guys are much Chelsea players as I am in FIFA Career Mode.

It's why I hated it when Miazga signed there. He's going to bounce around Europe in short loans until they sell him at 23. Stupid.

For all that I, as a Chelsea fan, often detest the loaning policy, Christensen looks like a case in which it could work. He wasn't gonna get lots of first team time at Chelsea last season but was stellar at Gladbach. I also think that he, unlike many out on loan, is in the long term plans at Chelsea, we just needed him to be developing somewhere while Terry and Cahill were still around. I have a hunch that Miazga is in the long term plans as well, based on the cameos he got last season. Loan to Vitesse isn't a great sign though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

'The main thing is to play. That's the main thing that I want for my future,' said Christensen.

'It is all about playing football and that's it. (Playing at Chelsea) is an ambition of mine, to play over there in the first team - but right now I am not thinking about the future.'

Many players who have gone through loans talk about the awkwardness of feeling aligned with 2 clubs. You feel close to the club you are loaned to and want to win with them, but you also want to play and prove yourself at your parent club. Most players just want that opportunity. Victor Moses just wanted the opportunity to prove himself, and guys like Christensen want playing to ensure they can develop.

While the Chelsea loan philosophy is a bit insane, it has its reasons. One is FFP, where you buy players cheap, loan them out, and then sell them for small profits. Do this a lot and the profits add up. The other reason to buy in quantity is that you'll eventually find some diamonds.

Chelsea have found plenty of diamonds under this system, but unfortunately made some poor decisions with them deciding that De Bruyne and Lukaku as examples didn't fit the club at the time and sold them. Even in that case, it still supports the other reason for the loan system. It funds transfers and allows the club to be self-sufficient.

At the end of the day though, it's not ultimately up to Christensen to return. He can force his way to an extent if playing time or opportunity is not made available, but to think that he won't have that with Conte in charge is just hating Chelsea for the sake of hating Chelsea. Chelsea CB's besides Zouma will all be 30 or older, and Christensen has the ability to play in either a back 4 or back 3, something that Conte will likely want to test with next season with Christensen, Zouma, and Luiz.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Gotta love this guy:

Speaking to Italian media outlets yesterday in Nice at Mario Balotelli’s unveiling press conference, super-agent Mino Raiola spoke out about another one of his clients, PSG midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

“The transfer window is finished, we will see what happens. I am very disappointed that PSG took him off the market and we will see what will happen.â€

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm still baffled we spent 40m on Luiz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad