Proposal: 2016 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am assuming players can begin electing for arbitration starting on July 1st. The deadline for players to elect for arbitration is July 5th.

Imo, Dorion has until July 1st to get a deal done. Dorion just cannot allow Hoffman to go back into arbitration.

I did read that if the player elects arbitration, that the team can elect for 2 years instead of 1. I don't know if they can do this with Hoffman though being that teams cannot request 2 years if the player is going to be a group 3 ufa next year. Don't know which group Hoffman belongs in.

HoffStoneKarl*

Hoffman + Chabot or Hoffman + 12th overall easily, but Edmonton would have no reason to make that deal.

No idea why so many people suggest dealing Ceci, especially for another forward. We finally have 4 competent top 4 d-men. Moving one of them just creates another huge hole and d-men are at a premium these days.

I think most people (myself included) think Chabot will be the better player at the end of the day

For what it's worth, Hall has the EXACT same defense deficiencies that Hoffman does

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think most people (myself included) think Chabot will be the better player at the end of the day

For what it's worth, Hall has the EXACT same defense deficiencies that Hoffman does

Well ya, but he is signed for 4 more years while Hoffman isn't.

On the proposal i would think about it. Edmonton wouldn't though.

HoffStoneKarl*

Well ya, but he is signed for 4 more years while Hoffman isn't.

On the proposal i would think about it. Edmonton wouldn't though.

Ok I see your point.

I kind of just assumed if Ottawa was willing to take on Halls salary they'd just offer Hoffman a contract with a similiar cap hit

HoffStoneKarl*

I am assuming players can begin electing for arbitration starting on July 1st. The deadline for players to elect for arbitration is July 5th.

Imo, Dorion has until July 1st to get a deal done. Dorion just cannot allow Hoffman to go back into arbitration.

I did read that if the player elects arbitration, that the team can elect for 2 years instead of 1. I don't know if they can do this with Hoffman though being that teams cannot request 2 years if the player is going to be a group 3 ufa next year. Don't know which group Hoffman belongs in.

I'm not as worried as you, and I don't see July 1 as a deadline.

I don't think Hoffman will elect to go to arbitration because he wants to be in Ottawa. I do think his camp will play hardball though and at the end of the day Dorion will have to have and give him some extra term and extra money. I wouldn't be surprised if a contract doesn't get finalized until later in the summer.

It'd be quite a "splash" for a new GM of a team to not be able to get a deal done with the team's top scorer for the last 2 years. I'm not sure if that's how Dorion wants to start his tenure here

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Over the last ten years the Leafs have acquired Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, Jonathan Bernier, JS Giguere and now Fredrik Andersen.

In return they gave up Tuuka Rask for Raycroft,a 1st round pick in 2007 (Lars Eller), a second round pick in 2007 (Aaron Palushaj), a 4th round pick in 2009 (Craig Smith) for Toskala and Mark Bell, Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala for Giguere, Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin and a 2nd round pick for Bernier, and now a 1st and a 2nd for Andersen.

They also claimed Gerber off waivers from us, and acquired Olaf Kolzig towards the end of his career.

Is Toronto a goalie graveyard?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yep... But Lou knows goalies so hopefully for the Leafs, he's right one more time.

Tho Reimer put up pretty respectable numbers as a Leaf

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad ?
Smith Pageau Stone
Lazar Neil

Puempel
Pyatt
McCormick
Dzingel
Paul
Robinson

Methot Karlsson
Phaneuf Ceci
Wideman

Borowiecki
Claesson

We need a third line RW, a number 5 D and a fourth line LW. Can we fill any of these roles internally? How many guys are waiver exempt for next season?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad ?
Smith Pageau Stone
Lazar Neil

Puempel
Pyatt
McCormick
Dzingel
Paul
Robinson

Methot Karlsson
Phaneuf Ceci
Wideman

Borowiecki
Claesson

We need a third line RW, a number 5 D and a fourth line LW. Can we fill any of these roles internally? How many guys are waiver exempt for next season?

If you take Dorion at his word, then we'll most likely have to fill those roles internally. I'd guess Pyatt, Puempel and Dzingle are the ones slated for those three spots (if we assume we'll carry an extra forward, too) but that any of the three could get bumped down if they underperform in training camp.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Any interest in Clayton Stoner if Anaheim retained some salary? He has 2 more years at 3.25 cap hit and salary.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If we dont get Eriksson i really hope we land McGinn/Hudler/Weise

McGinn seems exactly the kind of player Dorion was talking about looking yesterday: a 3rd line guy who can step into the top-6 in case injuries hit and not look lost in that role.

Versatile (can play both wings), plays hard, defensively responsible, 200ft player, fast enough to keep up with a skating team, can put up 15-20 goals as a tertiary player when healthy (which is the big questionmark).

If we're only going to sign one depth forward, I like McGinn a lot.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Would you guys do Hoffman + Chabot for Hall? Im unsure.

Edmonton would never do that, it just doesn't fill an immediate need, and it doesn't help them win right now.

This is a team that has been losing and losing year after year, trading their 2nd best forward for a downgrade and a rookie doesn't make sense especially that they'd have to pay Hoffman close to what Hall is making, and let's face it: Hall is much better.

If Edmonton trades Hall, and I really don't think they will, it will be for a defensemen of similar caliber that will help them reach the playoffs for the first time in .. forever.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we dont get Eriksson i really hope we land McGinn/Hudler/Weise
Im a big fan of McGinn. I'd be fine signing him regardless.
Any interest in Clayton Stoner if Anaheim retained some salary? He has 2 more years at 3.25 cap hit and salary.

Not a fan of Stoner at all. Atleast Boro is cheap.

Edmonton would never do that, it just doesn't fill an immediate need, and it doesn't help them win right now.

This is a team that has been losing and losing year after year, trading their 2nd best forward for a downgrade and a rookie doesn't make sense especially that they'd have to pay Hoffman close to what Hall is making, and let's face it: Hall is much better.

If Edmonton trades Hall, and I really don't think they will, it will be for a defensemen of similar caliber that will help them reach the playoffs for the first time in .. forever.

Fair enough.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
lol Bruce thinks that if the Sens don't go long term with Hoffman, they will just go with another 1 year contract.

Might as well trade him if that does indeed happen.

Anyone else getting the sense that Bruce hasn't established quite the pipeline that he once had... maybe it was leaking all the Boudreau BS. He seems to be doing a lot of speculating that isn't necessarily panning out.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Would love to get Hudler, had a down year last year, should have plenty in the tank. Depends on what he's looking for.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I like McGinn but if Dorion thinks thats all we need hes clueless

im still not sure if this management group is trying to win a cup or just make the playoffs

aim higher please lol

HoffStoneKarl*

Would love to get Hudler, had a down year last year, should have plenty in the tank. Depends on what he's looking for.

Smart hockey player, great offence, but man he is so slow. I'd stay away personally unless he's really cheap

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
is he a good PKer? (hudler)

idk why I presume he is since he was developed by the Wings

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

im still not sure if this management group is trying to win a cup or just make the playoffs

aim higher please lol

Im sure Dorion would love to sign Stamkos or Eriksson but he's being realistic about the money we have available to spend and the chances of them choosing to sign with us.

Atleast with McGinn we add quality depth in a position of need while being a fair price.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

aim higher please lol

I think getting a new coach, getting injured players back, adding Phaneuf, and another defensemen is extremely important here.

We're coming in the season with basically adding Turris and MacArthur and whatever upgrade on D we'll be getting. That's a HUGE upgrade on it's own, without counting the improvement on coaching which really can't be worse than it was.

I don't think it's a smart move right now to blow this thing up and make big trades. We just changed our coaching staff, let's see how the team reacts under the new coach, some players will thrive, some won't. I don't think trading a player (for example) that might thrive under a new coach a good idea before even knowing what we have.

If the season starts and we still are not a playoff team by the 30-40 game mark, then watch out, there will be major changes, but right now is not the time IMO.

HoffStoneKarl*

aim higher please lol

Right now it seems it's to just try and make the playoffs and load up at the deadline.

What else do you do when you have a budget that you're already pushed up against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad