Proposal: 2016 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Ideally Neil isn't a everyday NHLer. If we can grab a guy like DSP to lush him down the depth chart, that's a big win imo.

Disagree because we have depth for 4th liners and 10/11/12/13/14 forwards. Don't need more. We need at minimum a middle 6 RWer. Not a maybe he might be able to play top 9... But probably shouldn't... Guy.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He played well for Montreal against Ottawa in the playoffs. He's also good mates with Zack Smith

Yes, he always steps up in the playoffs. Once Neil retires, he would be playing on the 4th line. Have Buddy Robinson as the 13th forward and play for Neil against the faster/smaller teams.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Wiese would be ok. I'd prefer McGinn. He'd be more expensive, but I think he's more capable of playing in the top 6 as needed than a guy like Wiese is.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wiese would be ok. I'd prefer McGinn. He'd be more expensive, but I think he's more capable of playing in the top 6 as needed than a guy like Wiese is.

I would prefer McGinn as well, or a player that could play in the top six. I see Weise as a third liner at best, but maybe better suited in a fourth line role.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joe Colborne is s pretty good comparable on Brown... 40-50 point center.

Joe Colborne is probably a good comparable for Brown's floor.

Brown was seen by McKeen's as a the 3rd best playmaker in the draft class, and 5th best stick handler as well.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Joe Colborne is probably a good comparable for Brown's floor.

Brown was seen by McKeen's as a the 3rd best playmaker in the draft class, and 5th best stick handler as well.

Joe Colborne was highly touted in his draft class too... Brown was the guy I wanted in the draft... But I'd rather under project and be surprised then over project and be disappointed

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
73GP 44Pts this past season... I'd be stoked if Brown consistently did that

I think Brown's ceiling is lightyears ahead of Colborne's.

It took Colborne until he was 26 years old just to break the 30-point barrier in the NHL, if Brown ends up like Colborne I'll be massively disappointed.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

It took Colborne until he was 26 years old just to break the 30-point barrier in the NHL, if Brown ends up like Colborne I'll be massively disappointed.

of course it is (no sarcasm)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd like to see us add a couple of players though. I don't expect us to be signing Stamkos but I see no reason why we can't kick the tires on Kyle okposo.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

To be fair Colbourne had a higher ceiling than what he's showing right now.

They were comparing his style when he was drafted to Joe Thornton. He had everything to succeed but he was just not as good as people thought.

Funnily enough, Brown and Colbourne are very comparable. Both C, same side, big guy, inconsistent, that can score goals and has playmaking skills. Brown picked it up after a disappointing start to the season but he was not going anywhere near we picked him before that. Hopefully we get the 2nd part of the season Logan Brown.

We'll see where it goes in a couple years but I don't think it's fair to say that Brown has a higher ceiling than Colbourne had.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa

They were comparing his style when he was drafted to Joe Thornton. He had everything to succeed but he was just not as good as people thought.

Funnily enough, Brown and Colbourne are very comparable. Both C, same side, big guy, inconsistent, that can score goals and has playmaking skills. Brown picked it up after a disappointing start to the season but he was not going anywhere near we picked him before that. Hopefully we get the 2nd part of the season Logan Brown.

We'll see where it goes in a couple years but I don't think it's fair to say that Brown has a higher ceiling than Colbourne had.
Hell, they were both even the 4th C taken in their draft after an elite-ish 1st overall and two smaller guys.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I'd like to see us add a couple of players though. I don't expect us to be signing Stamkos but I see no reason why we can't kick the tires on Kyle okposo.

Okposo, Stammer, and Eriksson are likely to be the highest paid UFA's this summer. Kicking tires is fine, but we would have to move out salary to just be able to afford an offer to one of those players.

Anyways all indications point towards Dorion adding a 3rd liner, and a depth d-man. Throw in a few Bingo signings and I think that completes the summer checklist.

On a side note; I can see us going off the board a bit and bringing back Conacher to the organization due to the GB/MC relationship with him, and the fact that he had a really good year overseas. Probably on a 2 way deal similar to Pyatt.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I would prefer McGinn as well, or a player that could play in the top six. I see Weise as a third liner at best, but maybe better suited in a fourth line role.

Yeah, McGinn would be nice but he's going to get paid and he's a LW. Not sure if he can play on the right side.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

We can kick the tires all we want.

I can go take a new Porsche for a test drive whenever I want (dealership's just down the street), but the sticker in the window means that despite all the negotiating power I have, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa

And here's the draft review from 2008:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=19175

The pick is at about 40:30 the immediate comparison is to Joe Thornton.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Right, so Colborne came nowhere near the potential people had identified him as having. To me, that suggest using him as a floor is far more realistic than using him as a projection. That said, like Brown, Colborne was also a draft riser, so there's another similarity.

As for whether or not Brown has a higher ceiling than Colborne had, hard to say, but I would probably side with yes. Brown had some scouts saying he could be as high as a top 5 or 6 pick. Colborne had some scouts saying don't be surprised if he gets selected in the first half of the round. Granted, 2008 was a great draft, so that muddies the waters a bit.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Can someone punch out an updated projected line combo, without FA guesses?

If it's me and without FA I think we'd go:

Assuming Mac is healthy and Hoffman is here
Mac - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Paul - Neil / Dzingel

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro / Claesson - Wideman

Anderson
Hammond

Status