Proposal: 2016 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Filip Forsberg just re-signed as an RFA for 6yrs/36mil for a even 6mil AAV. Think that might be a comparable for Hoffman?

Well, I can say that if given the choice I'd sign Forsberg 11 times out of 10 ahead of Hoffman, so if he want's 6 mil per too, that's justification that he isn't worth it yet.

That said, while you can argue you're paying more to Forsberg for yet unrealized potential, far less of that contract is UFA years, so I don't think it works as a direct comparison.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We have some great skaters but I agree with the poster who said overall as a team we are pretty slow and that's a reason why we are so bad at team defense.

I think adding a guy like Helm could help us.

I am just scared if we are not healthy again next year we'll get exposed in the top 6

I don't know about our top 6 being exposed with injuries. We missed 1/3 of our top 6 for almost the whole season and were still a top scoring team despite having one of the worst PPs in the nhl. Our top 6 can ball pretty hard. We just need to figure out the most effective ways to bring that GA down.

The way to approach this team is to do what Doug Wilson did last year with the Sharks where he mostly just tweaked around the role players to address the team's weaknesses. Someone like Helm who skates well and kills penalties definitely addresses that.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I don't know about our top 6 being exposed with injuries. We missed 1/3 of our top 6 for almost the whole season and were still a top scoring team despite having one of the worst PPs in the nhl. Our top 6 can ball pretty hard. We just need to figure out the most effective ways to bring that GA down.

The way to approach this team is to do what Doug Wilson did last year with the Sharks where he mostly just tweaked around the role players to address the team's weaknesses. Someone like Helm who skates well and kills penalties definitely addresses that.

Obviously we were able to score goals but I expect the teams to adjust on us and see the production of Smith and Pageau going down. I also expect to see game plans adjust on Hoffman too so he has less space to do his thing. I just think last year with our defense being so much of a tire fire teams were more willing to go run and gun vs us... That's just my opinion but I think we have good depth for the bottom 6 but none really for the top 6.

Will be good to finally watch a defense with no freaking slow giraffes in Wier and Cowen at least but a guy like Helm would help on our PK and overall play on a 3rd line with Pageau. He and Pageau on the PK too would be great.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Forsberg's contract is a completely different scenario. He just came off of his ELC. Hoffman is a year away from UFA. A player a year away from UFA gets very close to UFA money where as a player coming off of his ELC has his salary artificially lowered since he has very little leverage.

With that said, Forsberg is a better player and scored 33 goals this past season. Part of the reason why he got the contract he did is because he isn't even in his prime yet, so he is projected to get better and become more valuable. In a few years he'll be an 8 or 9 million dollar player locked down at 6.

As mentioned previously in this thread an others, Hoff's best comparable is Nyquist. 4 years at 5M would be more than fair for Hoffman. The rumor (was it Benji?) was that Ottawa is coming in at under 4M while Hoffman wants 6.

If Hoffman actually wants 6, and he is asking for a long term deal, that gives me the impression that he wants to risk playing another year to get to UFA because I can't imagine there being many teams that would first give up assets to acquire him in a trade, and second give him that kind of contract. If he hits 30 goals this season and goes to UFA, 6Mx6-7 years would be plausible for him. It seems like a scenario where he is giving Ottawa the opportunity to give him the contract he thinks he'll get next year, because he doesn't want to buy low on himself by signing a long term deal this season. I could be wrong.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It's a good plan by Hoffman... If he has to sign cheaper for one year he knows he'll have a coach who will play him. Like to see a guy confident enough to play for the big deal... Probably scores 30-35 career season

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Personally the only spaces we have on the team are a top 9 right winger and a bottom pair d-man.

I would be ok with giving a kid a try on the bottom pair, like Englund with Wideman, Boro as 7th guy and fill in for when Englund needs to watch the game from the rafters. Chabot is going to make the team this year or next year, so we don't want a long UFA contract blocking him that needs dumping.

As for forwards, I'd like to see Turris back with Mac and Ryan, and I would like to see the Smith, Stone, Pageau line stay the same.

The fourth line can look to be Lazar, Paul, Neil

That leaves ZIb and Hoffman looking for a right winger, which could maybe be Lazar if they think he's got the room to grow, or we could target a UFA (Errikson).

The thing we need to consider is that we don't want a long contract that we'll need to dump since there is a very high probability that White will be joining the team next year, followed by Brown.

The expansion draft will likely clear a body, but we still need to figure that we have a couple years before adding final piece UFAs. It is likely that White, Brown, and Chabot are all planned to be part of the contending core.

We should look to maintain flexibility and grow the system and core for at least another season or two. That means look to make playoffs, then look to make later rounds, then take league by the balls and squeeze..... (made me wince even just typing that...)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Forsberg's K is in our favour imo.

Hoffman can't go over 6M per, it wouldn't make sense.

I can see 5X5

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
It's a good plan by Hoffman... If he has to sign cheaper for one year he knows he'll have a coach who will play him. Like to see a guy confident enough to play for the big deal... Probably scores 30-35 career season

I doubt Hoffman wants a one year deal. He didn't want a one year contract last year either, but his hand was forced by negotiations. Keep in mind, Hoffman hasn't made a whole bunch of money off hockey yet.

My guesstimate for his gross career earnings is around 3.2 million total for including signing bonuses. 4-6% agent...50% in taxes. He'll get the escrow back, but it still gets taken out of his cheque. That career take-home earnings is around 1.25 million initially and 1.5 million if he got all his escrow back.

Another 3-5k+ a month for a car and living expenses (Keep in mind, lots of players have to rent nice places because it is very risky to buy a house and end up traded). Over the last 8 years, that is another 576K - 960K.

I read an article once that suggested NHL level players will spend around 50K a year for hockey-related expenses like personal trainer, disability insurance, trainers, supplements, workout equipment, publicists, lawyers, personal equipment, etc..

He'll also have to set some aside for retirement and hopefully he didn't try to "monetize" his contract like that defense-man from Columbus.

If Hoffman has more than 500K in the bank, I'd be impressed. Especially since we have no idea how much debt servicing he might have had to do.

Considering that he is always one injury away from a new career and possibly with almost nothing to show for it, I'd be looking long-term myself. He's a 26 year old guy and for all we know, might be broke.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Did everyone else Sans Wiercioch get their QO's?

Out of the main bunch... I assume so?

I imagine it would be news at this point if they hadn't.

Guys who may be on the QO bubble:
- Casey Bailey
- Travis Ewanyk
- Jerome Leduc
- Max McCormick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad