2016 NHL re Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
You mean statistics you cherry picked without context?

[mod]

Have a good one yourself

I'm neutral on Laine, but atleast I can be objective enough to know where he stands against Matthews. Try taking off your rose coloured glasses :)
Can you explain what you mean by "cherry picked" statistics? You mean statistics that he specifically selected to support his argument? What a concept.
Maybe you should try it some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
What a wonderful thread LOL

I guess if I had to draft again it would be

1.Laine
2.Laine
3.Laine
4.Laine
5. Laine
6. Laine
7. Laine
8. Laine
9. Laine
10. Laine

In the second round I would also choose Laine and also pick up a goalie prospect named Laine.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Ah apparently we wear "Leaf rosed colored glassess" because we don't think Matthews who has a 0.50 GPG throughout 135 games is going to regress to a 30 goal scorer.

This guy is too much.

You wear rose colored glasses for implying Matthews's pace will be higher than Ovechkin and Laine.

Don't worry, you and your kind have provided enough entertainment.

Can you explain what you mean by "cherry picked" statistics? You mean statistics that he specifically selected to support his argument? What a concept.
Maybe you should try it some time.

I have explained it. Maybe you should actually wait and let the user respond first, before blabbering about something that's already answered.

You asked for those statistics, so I provided them. I also provided the full context (his career stats) in that post.

"try to keep up"

The statistics are still without any actual context because you are assuming Matthews will be ahead of Laine and Ovechkin because of his pace. Do you understand how stupid you sound now?

The fact that it's basically Leafs fans showing how butthurt they are in this thread is not even surprising.

I have yet to see this fandom ever being civil in debates with another fandom.
Y'all just expect us non-Leaf fans, should worship every Leaf players that wear the uniform.

Anyways this is the last time I'm going to ever give Matthews his due, the insufferable Leafs fandom isn't worth having their players ever being credited.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Matthews is great.
Laine is great.
No need to start threads and start a war just to pump up your own guys... Be happy with what you got and move on.

Reactions: Nuusku

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
There is a major difference. Matthews actually played those games and was just unlucky to not score in them. Laine actually missed those games and it's why no one can say he would have scored in each of them.
But nobody knows if Laine would of or not, where as everybody knows that Matthews didnt.

Listen, Im not saying that Laine is better then Matthews, as I feel Matthews is a great player. Im just calling you out for your absurd double standard.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
The statistics are still without any actual context because you are assuming Matthews will be ahead of Laine and Ovechkin because of his pace. Do you understand how stupid you sound now?

The fact that it's basically Leafs fans showing how ******** they are in this thread is not even surprising.

I feel like you need to revisit my post.
First of all, I'm not salty. Your opinion means very little to me after reading you think Matthews is going to be a 30-35 goal scorer in the league when he's scored 40 in his rookie season, and has a 0.50 GPG throughout 135 games played in his career. Thinking he's going to regress to a 30-35 goal scorer is simply wishful thinking on your part. So rank him where you want, I really don't care.

As of the stats for Matthews outscoring Laine before he was injured -- he was outpacing him, but did miss some games earlier in the year.

THIS SEASON UNTIL MATTHEWS WAS INJURED ON 02/22/2018 STATS YOU ASKED FOR

Matthews had 27 goals in 52 games -- 0.52 GPG
Laine had 28 goals in 60 games -- 0.47 GPG

So Laine had one more goal in 8 more games, Matthews was clearly having the better season as well with 49 points in 52 games, while Laine had 48 points in 60 games.

Then Matthews got injured, Laine got red hot, Finland went bat shit crazy -- and about eighteen Laine vs Matthews threads were born.

My opinion on the two, that I've stated several times is, I think Laine is clearly the better shooter/sniper, probably will put up more goals in his career, and will win multiple Richards in his career. Matthews will also be up there in the Richard race, as he's shown just as much goal scoring prowess as Laine has, but just in different ways, while also being a center and will likely compete for Selke trophies later in his career.

I know who I'd take at first overall, and I'm sure many in the hockey world share my opinion, nothing against Laine though who is also a tremendous player.

I have said nothing about him scoring more goals than Ovechkin or Laine in the future -- my disagreement was with your "Matthews regressing to a 30-35 goal consistent scorer" take.

The fact that you need to resort to strawman arguments tells me all I need to know.

May Matthews have an off year, and score 30-35 goals? Sure maybe.

But in his prime, there is nothing that suggests he won't be in or around a 40 goal pace or more each season. Suggesting otherwise is just wishful thinking and the stats back this up.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Last season Matthews was also in contention for the Rocket Richard award.
? I quoted someone that justified picking McAvoy over Laines b/c McAvoy could be a Norris contender in 2 seasons. I didnt mention Matthews? Seriously, Leaf fan....

To everyone else: read my earlier quote and note that I was talking about Laine and McAvoy and didnt even mention Matthews. When you've done that, read this random leaf fans reaction to that post, all of a sudden dragging Matthews in to the discussion. This is why most of HFBoards are tired of leaf fans, everyone.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But nobody knows if Laine would of or not, where as everybody knows that Matthews didnt.

Listen, Im not saying that Laine is better then Matthews, as I feel Matthews is a great player. Im just calling you out for your absurd double standard.
Matthews still had the chance and was not able to score. Jets fans were awarding Laine with fictional goals in games he never got the chance to play in, that's the difference between them.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
What a wonderful thread LOL

I guess if I had to draft again it would be

1.Laine
2.Laine
3.Laine
4.Laine
5. Laine
6. Laine
7. Laine
8. Laine
9. Laine
10. Laine

In the second round I would also choose Laine and also pick up a goalie prospect named Laine.
Clever.

Reactions: DanM

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Matthews is great.
Laine is great.
No need to start threads and start a war just to pump up your own guys... Be happy with what you got and move on.

It's actually Leafs fans that ignite the war, whining about something very little even when their player is getting his due. The rest of the fans are civil and level headed.

I feel like you need to revisit my post.

I have said nothing about him scoring more goals than Ovechkin or Laine in the future -- my disagreement was with your "Matthews regressing to a 30-35 goal consistent scorer" take.

The fact that you need to resort to strawman arguments tells me all I need to know.

You seem to not recognize that Matthews scoring at 40 goals doesn't mean he will score 40 goals every season.
and if I said he would be regressing, I wouldn't have said he would never score 40 goals ever. Scoring 5 games less than what he usually is, an opinion should not be debated for over 4 pages. It should not make you and your fellow leafs fans panties all wet, and this upset especially when I ranked him at top. It's seriously unbelievable at how you guys are offended despite where i ranked him. Multiple times, I suggested he will score 40+ goals at his peak, you know when he's at his best.

I'm not using any straw men argument, because I'm discussing your points word per word.

The fact that these points are being ignored by you just shows all I need to know as well.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Haha

I was just being silly, but these threads need to end for sure. Both guys are great, I just feel most teams would prefer the package Matty brings. I think every draft has him being chosen number 1, but that doesn't take away from all the amazing talent.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's actually Leafs fans that ignite the war, whining about something very little even when their player is getting his due. The rest of the fans are civil and level headed.

You seem to not recognize that Matthews scoring at 40 goals doesn't mean he will score 40 goals every season.
and if I said he would be regressing, I wouldn't have said he would never score 40 goals ever. Scoring 5 games less than what he usually is, an opinion should not be debated for over 4 pages. It should not make you and your fellow leafs fans panties all wet, and this upset especially when I ranked him at top. It's seriously unbelievable at how you guys are offended despite where i ranked him. Multiple times, I suggested he will score 40+ goals at his peak, you know when he's at his best.

I'm not using any straw men argument, because I'm discussing your points word per word.

The fact that these points are being ignored by you just shows all I need to know as well.

Okay bra

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Haha

I was just being silly, but these threads need to end for sure. Both guys are great, I just feel most teams would prefer the package Matty brings. I think every draft has him being chosen number 1, but that doesn't take away from all the amazing talent.

It’s way too early to do a redraft for 2016. Everyone needs to enjoy their prospects and stop turning everything into a pissing contest.

Reactions: DanM

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As you are with Matthews and his missed games this season. Pot meet kettle.
I never mentioned anything about Matthews missing all those games this season. I was only referring to last season when Laine missed those 9 games and Jets fans were awarding him fictional goals and the Calder Trophy which they said would have happened.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Indeed. You guys do a wonderful job of forcing people to not give your players due credit.

You are forced to change your life on the opinions of fans of a hockey team? :laugh:

Leafs get plenty of credit by people much smarter than us in the hockey community I think everyone will be okay if a Canucks fan won’t give Matthews credit :laugh:

Reactions: Kelly

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
*leafs hater makes thread not so subtly bashing leafs player and/or trolling leafs fans

*leafs fans express their displeasure and/or disagreement

*leafs haters: "wow check out these leafs fans they're so obnoxious and make everything about themselves.

Rinse and repeat forever and ever.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

This is what you said.

He did it once, and on pace means nothing.

Generally I see him as a 30-35 goal scorer. He may pot up 40+ during his peak.

Matthews has played two seasons, one where he scored 40, and the other where he's pacing for 40. He's done all that in his first two seasons, he's talented enough to have 50 at his peak.

Saying in general he's gonna be a 30-35 goal scorer is saying you see him regressing.

Though you haven't provided one stand of evidence -- so you're right -- one persons [mod] opinion isn't worth discussing over 4 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
How bout we all just agree that Matthews is a great player, and was exactly what TO needed. And Laine is a great player, and was just what the Jets needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad