2016 NHL re Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It's pretty amusing that a group of fans come slinging at you, even when you rank their boy at the number one position.
If I said I think Boeser is gonna regress to a 20-25 goal scorer, what would you say?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't remember Leaf fans(?) saying he'd outscore McDavid, but the other two probably have been said. I tried to stay out of the Matthews - McDavid threads, because I never agreed with the premise. Regardless that's a lot less crazy than what I've read SOME finnish posters say.
I don't think it was a Leafs fan who posted the question but I think someone asked if Matthews would score more goals than McDavid this season or would McDavid score more total points? If anything Leafs fans might have said Matthews might do that again since he did out score McDavid in total goals last season, so it was not outrageous to say.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I provided you with statistics and my opinion, and you resort to calling me salty. That's childish, and not really worth my time.

You HOPE he regresses, you have no evidence for it.

You provided statistics without the actual context.

You are basically blab-erring the same post another Leaf user directed at me. Like I said try keeping up.

Originally I don't care enough about Matthews to prefer he digresses. However with the way Leafs fans are acting atm I kind of do now, because you guys would be even more intolerable than usual (which is bad enough as it is)

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I said this before and I will say it again. There is no guarantee Laine would have scored goals in those games he missed, so please stop awarding him phantom goals that never happened. He lost the Calder so get over it.
Arnt you the poster just one page back that stated that if Matthews wouldn't have went on a 13 game goaless drought he could have ‘easily’ one the Rocket? Now your talking about not knowing if Laine would have scored in his missed games last season.

If you want to talk in ‘what ifs’ you can’t become upset when others do as well

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I suggested Matthews will be keyed on more hence his goal scoring will lower about 5 goals than what he obtained in his rookie season. Simple as that. Why not simply be grateful that I ranked your beloved boy at the number one spot? Matthews isn't perfect ffs.

You should also try keeping up when I told you this: Nope, my opinion should not warrant any eyebrows or draw attention, because I'm not applying them as facts.
He's already facing the toughest competition on the team night in and night out and is consistently double covered by the opposition. Speaking of "keeping up"... maybe try actually watching the player you're providing an analysis on :laugh:

All in all you have failed to provide an even remotely compelling argument. Your position is based on some vague assumption that teams are going to do a better job of stopping him from scoring in the future.... because reasons? Got it.

I think I've spent enough time on this one.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't think so, Toronto fans are well aware that most other fans now think Laine is the easy pick. Personally, I don't mind it. I don't agree with it, but it's fine.

If similar in skill, I will always take the C over the W, but maybe that mindset is no longer popular. Remove positions, and I am not sure there is anything Laine is actually more skilled or better at. He's only 0.04/gpg above Matthews despite his red hot surge lately, hardly enough to come to a conclusion based on.

I was only referring to the unnecessary bickering that takes place between a group of 20 - 40 people in every thread. Both teams would be a lot better then they were before the draft if the picks were reversed.

I could start a "Bring Back the Hartford Whalers" thread and by the 3rd page their would some how be a Laine / Matthews debate happening?????

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
If I said I think Boeser is gonna regress to a 20-25 goal scorer, what would you say?

Amusing [mod], you have to bring up a player who plays for my favourite team.

Not exactly the same comparable because Boeser didn't play all 82 games unlike Matthews, so we don't know how much more Boeser would score in 20+ games.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Arnt you the poster just one page back that stated that if Matthews wouldn't have went on a 13 game goaless drought he could have ‘easily’ one the Rocket? Now your talking about not knowing if Laine would have scored in his missed games last season.

If you want to talk in ‘what ifs’ you can’t become upset when others do as well
There is a major difference. Matthews actually played those games and was just unlucky to not score in them. Laine actually missed those games and it's why no one can say he would have scored in each of them.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You provided statistics without the actual context.

You are basically blab-erring the same post another Leaf user directed at me. Like I said try keeping up.

Originally I don't care enough about Matthews to prefer he digresses. However with the way Leafs fans are acting atm I kind of do now, because you guys would be even more intolerable than usual (which is bad enough as it is)

You come in here and say a 19 year old is gonna REGRESS from his rookie year without any evidence or proof, even though he hasn't in his sophomore, and then whine about the lashback.

Welcome to reality thats all I gotta say.

Amusing [mod], you have to bring up a player who plays for my favourite team.

Not exactly the same comparable because Boeser didn't play all 82 games unlike Matthews, so we don't know how much more Boeser would score in 20+ games.

[mod] I think your opinion is a bad one.

I'll answer it for you, you'd be doing the exact same thing.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He's already facing the toughest competition on the team night in and night out and is consistently double covered by the opposition. Speaking of "keeping up"... maybe try actually watching the player you're providing an analysis on :laugh:

All in all you have failed to provide an even remotely compelling argument. Your position is based on some vague assumption that teams are going to do a better job of stopping him from scoring in the future.... because reasons? Got it.

I think I've spent enough time on this one.

He hasn't done so for 82 games. You haven't kept up because you fail to read the posts properly, you know just like how I have to bold things in for you. If I didn't watch the player, I wouldn't have put him at the top position, so come up with a more compelling counter attack. It's sad that you are butthurt even though I gave your boys prop. Must be said to be so brainwashed for a player that you have lost literally all gasps of reality.

I provided enough sufficient reason toward what I displayed, and it's not my fault that your leaf rosed colored glasses clouds your judgement. Go back to the Leafs forum, I'm sure they will appreciate more of your Matthews wank.

I'm not going to be swayed about your blabbering, my post stays as it is.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
In
It's pretty amusing that a group of fans come slinging at you, even when you rank their boy at the number one position.
I was never rude to you in any way. You're the one who took a tone because I asked you to explain your reasoning. If you get this defensive over a relatively tame conversation on a message board then maybe you should avoid them.

In general, if you're confident enough to share a contestable opinion, you should be prepared to defend it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Ah apparently we wear "Leaf rosed colored glassess" because we don't think Matthews who has a 0.50 GPG throughout 135 games is going to regress to a 30 goal scorer.

This guy is too much.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He hasn't done so for 82 games.
So even though Matthews did it for 82 games in his rookie season means nothing?

Because of his most recent ankle injury Patrik Laine won't be playing 82 games for the second straight season. Despite his goals this season maybe its about time we ask if he is injury prone? After all it's only fair since that was asked about Matthews.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You come in here and say a 19 year old is gonna REGRESS from his rookie year without any evidence or proof, even though he hasn't in his sophomore, and then whine about the lashback.

Welcome to reality thats all I gotta say.

[mod] I think your opinion is a bad one.

I'll answer it for you, you'd be doing the exact same thing.

I say that Matthews will score less 5 goals less than his rookie season, but admit he will score more this rookie season in his peak. [mod]
Just because he scored 40 annually and was at pace for such, doesn't suggest he will do so every single season. How many times do I repeat this [mod].

[mod]

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I say that Matthews will score less than, but he will score more this rookie season in his peak. [mod]

Haha right. My opinion is backed up by statistics, while yours is backed up by...... [mod]?

You keep wishing that Matthews regresses, and I'll keep watching him pot 40 or > :).

Have a good one.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
This will be one of the best drafts in modern history. McAvoy is a future Norris winner imo. The Laine vs Matthews stuff is more of a 1A vs 1B than 1 vs 2. You couldn't really go wrong as a franchise with picking either. Leafs went with what helped their team more.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Haha right. My opinion is backed up by statistics, while yours is backed up by...... [mod]?

You keep wishing that Matthews regresses, and I'll keep watching him pot 40 or > :).

Have a good one.

You mean statistics you cherry picked without context?

[mod]

Have a good one yourself

I'm neutral on Laine, but atleast I can be objective enough to know where he stands against Matthews. Try taking off your rose coloured glasses :)

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You mean statistics you cherry picked without context?

[mod]

Have a good one yourself :)
How are the past two seasons cherry picked statistics, do you know what that phrase means?

All of Matthews career, 135 games he has a 0.50GPG which = to 41 goals per 82.

That. is. not. cherry. picking.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How are the past two seasons cherry picked statistics, do you know what that phrase means?

It's great when we can find stats to prove others wrong when it comes to Matthews.

Reactions: Kelly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This was a very deep draft year once again. Laine already breaking records and many other players are also doing pretty good in the NHL already. Did Columbus the right move after all? Did Toronto select the wrong first overall pick? Lets find out and do the 2016 re draft!

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2016

My top 10:

1. Laine
2. Matthews
3. McAvoy
3. Keller
4. Brett
5. Dupois
6. Tkachuc
7. Puljujarvi
8. Sergachyov
9. Borgstrom
10. Uolevi
Pulju wouldn't go in the top 10.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Yeah when you neglect the games Laine missed, it's cherry picking.

When you are fully confident that Matthews will be ahead of Laine for a full season, that's simple bias.

In

I was never rude to you in any way. You're the one who took a tone because I asked you to explain your reasoning. If you get this defensive over a relatively tame conversation on a message board then maybe you should avoid them.

In general, if you're confident enough to share a contestable opinion, you should be prepared to defend it.

You weren't rude? Check your previous post, then come back. I simply answered you accordingly.

You came up gunning here, not me, and when you have several leaf fans quoting you, then don't mind that I can get a bit testy. You were better off ending your responses in the last 3-4 or so previous convos we had, because you seem desperate.

I don't care about Laine, but I can see his worth.

I already defended it, you just simply can not grasp that your god won't score 40 goals every season.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yeah when you neglect the games Laine missed, it's cherry picking.

When you are fully confident that Matthews will be ahead of Laine for a full season, that's simple bias.

You asked for those statistics, so I provided them. I also provided the full context (his career stats) in that post.

"try to keep up"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad