2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Still dithering :sarcasm:

Chevy must have balls of steel if he takes Pulju over Laine. It will be a ****strom 10000x the size of the Scheifele/Couturier debate. Fans will have had an entire summer having their heart set on Laine and frankly it will not be pretty on draft night. I like Pulju but after the WC that Laine has had I just don't see how you can draft Pulju over Laine

If they're seriously considering Pulju over Laine, they need to trade with CBJ down to #3. Absolutely no excuse for taking him at #2.

The way I see it, the only think standing between Laine and the Jets is how well he interviews at the combine.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If they're seriously considering Pulju over Laine, they need to trade with CBJ down to #3. Absolutely no excuse for taking him at #2.

The way I see it, the only think standing between Laine and the Jets is how well he interviews at the combine.

Although if Kekalainen is willing to trade up then that's even more concerning, that means that Kekalainen thinks that the difference is that big between Laine and JP. Kekalainen will have the inside scoop on both these prospects from his Finnish sources. If Kekalainen wants to trade up, that should be double the incentive for Chevy to draft Laine.

Speaking of that, do the Jets have any Finnish scouts?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Although if Kekalainen is willing to trade up then that's even more concerning, that means that Kekalainen thinks that the difference is that big between Laine and JP. Kekalainen will have the inside scoop on both these prospects from his Finnish sources. If Kekalainen wants to trade up, that should be double the incentive for Chevy to draft Laine.

Speaking of that, do the Jets have any Finnish scouts?

I believe Jari Gronstrand is their Finnish scout. A good Tampere kid, just like Laine.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Anyone have details about television coverage of the draft? I know it's on June 24th, but what time does the television coverage start, and when does the actual draft start? I have a draft party to arrange... :D

Because this is important? Party starts at 4:00, spend intervening time drinking.

Umm, maybe set up some Plexiglas in front of the TV, just in case Chevy does the unthinkable. ;)

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg

That's the way I see it right now as well.

Laine is the (mostly) consensus 2 for a reason.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Still dithering :sarcasm:

Chevy must have balls of steel if he takes Pulju over Laine. It will be a ****strom 10000x the size of the Scheifele/Couturier debate. Fans will have had an entire summer having their heart set on Laine and frankly it will not be pretty on draft night. I like Pulju but after the WC that Laine has had I just don't see how you can draft Pulju over Laine

Why would they make public what they intend to do? What purpose would that serve exactly? This is exactly the same reason the Leafs haven't announced who they will pick #1:facepalm:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like pulju a lot, I think he's a special player, having said that I still think laine is better at this point especially for the jets. Having said that I havnt seen many highlight reels of pulju around here, we have many talented posters any takers in posting a few of his goals? Cause this kid is good too, not getting the love cause of laine which is fine but he is quite good as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really like pulju a lot, I think he's a special player, having said that I still think laine is better at this point especially for the jets. Having said that I havnt seen many highlight reels of pulju around here, we have many talented posters any takers in posting a few of his goals? Cause this kid is good too, not getting the love cause of laine which is fine but he is quite good as well.

Puljujarvi is a fantastic player. He is very dynamic and honestly he fits the exact profile of what the jets like in their prospects. To Paraphrase Hillier "he is a leader on and off the ice, plays the game at a high tempo, 200 foot game, very smart and highly skilled for a big player. Honestly what is not to love and he will be a franchise player IMO. I would be suprised but not shocked if the Jets drafted him.

I saw some great highlight videos a while back I'll see what I can find.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
If Jets pick Laine, then Chevy should put all of his effort into bringing Barkov there..whatever the cost. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I noticed that too.

I'm always excited about getting a new prospect at the draft, but objectively it's probably the best time to get the best value for trading a pick. In fact, acquiring a 1st round pick at the trade deadline and trading it at the draft is probably a very sound value strategy - buy low, sell high.

Still, I want them to keep that pick to make our draft party more interesting. :laugh:

How would it work if he waits until it is time to draft 22 and then announces he has traded him for (insert your favourite target). :)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And on Hustler and Lawless this pm Gary said he heard from "two really reliable sources" that the Jets scouts / Chevy are still undecided between Laine and Poolparty...probably make the decision the day before the draft.

I was doing some mindless work and decided to put Hustler and Lawless in the background- you missed an important detail, Lawless was quoting Peter Tessier about the "two reliable sources" :laugh: Tessier is a writer on Eklund's website... I would consider him an Eklund level rumor reporter and not put too much stock in this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With a knee injury+messed up wrist(u18).

I guess these are alright Jesse videos.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not surprised in the slightest of they're currently undecided. It's in their best interest to be undecided.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not surprised in the slightest of they're currently undecided. It's in their best interest to be undecided.

The director of the European scouting for Toronto, the Finn Ari Vuori stressed in an interview to the Finnish media that "the decision won't be made until on the Midsummer", ie. the draft day. There may be some untranslateable hyperbole in it, as the Midsummernight's Eve is about the second biggest celebration in Finland and it and the following day is generally not associated with work or making good decisions and he could well have called it the 'Draft Day' instead, but I guess there is a kernel of truth there somewhere.

I would actually be a bit worried about Vuori's choice of word if I was a Torontonian, because for a Finn it's pretty much the noon at latest on the Eve when the mouth starts smacking thirstily as the country grinds into halt and the first installments of the near-religious reporting of this year's casualties start rolling in. It's a tough call for one to be at his very sharpest that particular day. :D

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Those countries get awesome with their summer festivals. Our summer festivals consist of the long weekend in May, colloquially dubbed 'May 2-4' because of its closeness to the actual date and the size of a standard case of beer (24 bottles), which marks the unofficial start to summer, and Canada Day/4th of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad