2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You are being too specific. :) In general this is a good example of how Chevy keeps everything to himself even things that can be freely shared without penalty. Would it kill him to occasionally give a simple, direct answer to a simple direct question?

In this case he didn't answer the question and then expand a bit with the Selanne reference. He avoided the question altogether. There was no need to avoid it. It is just so much a part of his style he habitually avoids questions whether necessary to do so or not. Not a biggie. I don't expect a lot of info from any GM but Chevy takes it to an extreme.

I actually think he's a bit of a tangential thinker. When someone asked him about the Laine hype, it probably triggered thoughts he's had about how bringing Laine or Puljujarvi to the Jets and renewing the love affair the Jets had with a young star Finn.

I also get the sense that the Jets haven't completely solidified their choice between Laine and Puljujarvi. I think those two are closer than many think in the perspective of the Jets' scouts.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
In his radio interview during the intermission of the Canada Finland WHC game, Chevy was asked if there were any positions he was targeting in the draft, after obviously choosing a forward with #2. Now granted, this may have been nothing more than classic Chevy answer-avoidance, but he seemed to be claiming a strong commitment to BPA regardless of organizational need... but then he followed that up (after some rambling) with and admission that "defense is an area that we can probably add a little more depth at."
That might be as close to Chevy actually saying something that I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
IIRC, Chevy last draft said Jets were hoping for more depth from defence but when the right player comes along you have to grab them.

he even qualified his statement today, saying that you have to take the best players available. good thing they aren't all goaltenders..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I actually think he's a bit of a tangential thinker. When someone asked him about the Laine hype, it probably triggered thoughts he's had about how bringing Laine or Puljujarvi to the Jets and renewing the love affair the Jets had with a young star Finn.

I also get the sense that the Jets haven't completely solidified their choice between Laine and Puljujarvi. I think those two are closer than many think in the perspective of the Jets' scouts.

I agree about Pulju. Laine is the obvious choice but I don't think it is written in stone yet. I really wish Pulju was in the WC. Laine demonstrated a more complete game today in spite of not getting on the scoresheet. I think he is going to adapt pretty quickly to the NHL. He might have earned another point or 2 with all of the Jets scouts watching. I wonder how many Leafs scouts were there today?

Of course one thought triggers a tangential one. We all do that but I think Chevy uses it as a technique to avoid answering questions. I also think it is habitual with him. Now, maybe a smart reporter could learn to ask questions that are merely related to what they really want to ask. A few of those questions and maybe Chevy talks about what the reporter is actually interested in. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree about Pulju. Laine is the obvious choice but I don't think it is written in stone yet. I really wish Pulju was in the WC. Laine demonstrated a more complete game today in spite of not getting on the scoresheet. I think he is going to adapt pretty quickly to the NHL. He might have earned another point or 2 with all of the Jets scouts watching. I wonder how many Leafs scouts were there today?

Of course one thought triggers a tangential one. We all do that but I think Chevy uses it as a technique to avoid answering questions. I also think it is habitual with him. Now, maybe a smart reporter could learn to ask questions that are merely related to what they really want to ask. A few of those questions and maybe Chevy talks about what the reporter is actually interested in. :laugh:

I've heard a few reporters take different angles with him and when he gets flat out cornered he just tells them straight away he can't answer the question because it gives to much away. He's a very secretive GM, it drives all of us fans nuts, but I'd prefer that over some loud mouth like Benning that practically telegraphs the world his every thought and potential move. We wouldn't have all of this fun speculation otherwise.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

This is where Chipman needs to step in and explain to our team at the draft table his perspective on the three options facing them:

1. Toronto takes Matthews, pick Laine.
2. Toronto takes Laine, pick Matthews.
3. Look for new jobs.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've heard a few reporters take different angles with him and when he gets flat out cornered he just tells them straight away he can't answer the question because it gives to much away. He's a very secretive GM, it drives all of us fans nuts, but I'd prefer that over some loud mouth like Benning that practically telegraphs the world his every thought and potential move. We wouldn't have all of this fun speculation otherwise.

I can't say it has ever bothered me. If someone has an argument for why being loose lipped puts you at a competitive advantage I'd love to hear it. But logical thought would strongly suggest it is in a GM's best interest to not show his cards in public. Actually I find fan reaction as a reward in itself to Chevy's interview style. The one time I found him to be quite open was during his post season interview and he was just accused of trumpeting the company line, covering up mistakes etc.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is where Chipman needs to step in and explain to our team at the draft table his perspective on the three options facing them:

1. Toronto takes Matthews, pick Laine.
2. Toronto takes Laine, pick Matthews.
3. Look for new jobs.

If Chevy picks Pulju at #2 he will have opened himself to a lot of criticism if he is wrong. Especially if he is really wrong. Making the wrong decision at the top of a draft is a lot different than taking the BPA that has fallen to you. Of course if he goes out on a limb and makes an unexpected choice and is proved to be right, especially if he is really right, his ability at the draft table will be further enhanced.

Awe **** Who I'm I kidding if he is right the scouts will get the credit, and if he is wrong he alone will take the blame :sarcasm: :naughty:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

With you there. :laugh:

Chevy should probably take some lessons. If he could learn to stop using some of his key words so often, 'again, obviously' it would help. If he is going to say nothing then say it a little quicker. :laugh:

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Interview on Rogers....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hlushko-scares-leafs-may-pass-laine-matthews/

And on Hustler and Lawless this pm Gary said he heard from "two really reliable sources" that the Jets scouts / Chevy are still undecided between Laine and Poolparty...probably make the decision the day before the draft.

Still dithering :sarcasm:

Chevy must have balls of steel if he takes Pulju over Laine. It will be a ****strom 10000x the size of the Scheifele/Couturier debate. Fans will have had an entire summer having their heart set on Laine and frankly it will not be pretty on draft night. I like Pulju but after the WC that Laine has had I just don't see how you can draft Pulju over Laine

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Chevy must have balls of steel if he takes Pulju over Laine. It will be a ****strom 10000x the size of the Scheifele/Couturier debate. Fans will have had an entire summer having their heart set on Laine and frankly it will not be pretty on draft night. I like Pulju but after the WC that Laine has had I just don't see how you can draft Pulju over Laine

I'll agree with you here. He'd have to be damn, damn sure he was right.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg

Only way I can see is if he thinks there is a chance he may become a cancer in the locker room, like the Evander Kane variety.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Anyone have details about television coverage of the draft? I know it's on June 24th, but what time does the television coverage start, and when does the actual draft start? I have a draft party to arrange... :D

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anyone have details about television coverage of the draft? I know it's on June 24th, but what time does the television coverage start, and when does the actual draft start? I have a draft party to arrange... :D

The draft usually starts at 6pm CST (not the pre-coverage...the actual draft). And it'll be on Sportsnet I believe.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Every time the 22nd pick comes up in interviews, Chevy always brings up the word "trade".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Every time the 22nd pick comes up in interviews, Chevy always brings up the word "trade".

I noticed that too.

I'm always excited about getting a new prospect at the draft, but objectively it's probably the best time to get the best value for trading a pick. In fact, acquiring a 1st round pick at the trade deadline and trading it at the draft is probably a very sound value strategy - buy low, sell high.

Still, I want them to keep that pick to make our draft party more interesting. :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I noticed that too.

I'm always excited about getting a new prospect at the draft, but objectively it's probably the best time to get the best value for trading a pick. In fact, acquiring a 1st round pick at the trade deadline and trading it at the draft is probably a very sound value strategy - buy low, sell high.

Still, I want them to keep that pick to make our draft party more interesting. :laugh:

If he trades up, that would make it interesting....No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca