2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I would be quite happy to get Matthews.

But the learning curve for a Centre in the Central is a beast! I would expect him to struggle most of the season.

Paticularly being a top two C.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
We are in the best spot, we don't make the decision, we get one of the stars. The Leafs however, if whoever we get at #2 out performs their #1, they'll never hear the end of it. You'll have half the board saying, "I knew xxxx should have been number one! Stupid Leafs!"

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We are in the best spot, we don't make the decision, we get one of the stars. The Leafs however, if whoever we get at #2 out performs their #1, they'll never hear the end of it. You'll have half the board saying, "I knew xxxx should have been number one! Stupid Leafs!"

I almost agree with that....this may be the best spot in the draft. #1s also expect to get paid as such...even if they suck.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Matthews drops to the Jets at 2, I hope he comes in with a good attitude and maybe a chip on his shoulder to prove he should have been taken at 1.

Pretty amazing that we can have a rational conversation about adding Matthews to the franchise. This was almost unthinkable a few months ago. It's also amazing to think that even if we don't get Matthews we'll end up with a prospect that rivals him in potential.

Either way, the Jets are poised to add a potential franchise player to a young and promising roster. Jackpot!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would be quite happy to get Matthews.

But the learning curve for a Centre in the Central is a beast! I would expect him to struggle most of the season.

Paticularly being a top two C.

Matthews is a very special talent. He already looks more polished than Larkin. He has fantastic skills and is a big body. I think he'll adapt just fine, and the Jets can put him in an ideal situation starting behind two top-notch centers.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Leafs will take Matthews.

They want a young #1 franchise Center. That they control for 7 yrs minimum. Who can grow with their young players. No chance they pass on that.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Matthews is a very special talent. He already looks more polished than Larkin. He has fantastic skills and is a big body. I think he'll adapt just fine, and the Jets can put him in an ideal situation starting behind two top-notch centers.

I thought Seguin is quite a cocky kid few years back but dropping to 2nd did not do anything bad for him at all? So far he definitely has had more success in NHL than Hall.

No matter who comes in 2nd this draft, they will both play well in their career because the tools/vision they possess. They just need to believe in their abilities and not being too anxious for instant stardom. Remember that both Seguin and Stamkos struggled mightily in their 1st half year as a rookie despite of their talents? They are kids and you need to allow them to grow into their roles for their team.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
With all this new kids on the block, we kinda lost track of How good Nikolaj Ehlers can become.

Hoping for one of the better LHD falls to the Jets in #22 slots

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Pretty excited about the 22 and 36 pick. Seems like some gems will be around still.

Pronman article is pretty awesome review.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Leafs will take Matthews.

They want a young #1 franchise Center. That they control for 7 yrs minimum. Who can grow with their young players. No chance they pass on that.

I think Stamkos wants to be a Center. They have Nylander and Kadri behind him. That's pretty stacked at Center. If Stamkos is in play, the Leafs can go either way at #1.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Stamkos wants to be a Center. They have Nylander and Kadri behind him. That's pretty stacked at Center. If Stamkos is in play, the Leafs can go either way at #1.

Stamkos isn't an elite C. It would be better to have Matthews at C and Stamkos as the top winger. If the Leafs decide to break the bank to sign Stamkos to play C then you'd have to wonder a bit about their management group.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Believe the speculation is Nylander will play wing.

Leafs need a major upgrade to Bozek and Kadri if they want to be a cup contender. Matthews AND Stamkos would be that. With Marner, Nylander, JVR on wings.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Believe the speculation is Nylander will play wing.

Leafs need a major upgrade to Bozek and Kadri if they want to be a cup contender. Matthews AND Stamkos would be that. With Marner, Nylander, JVR on wings.

Why are they playing Nylander at C with the Marlies then?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
His shot is ridiculous! He gets a shot off so quick and accurate. Even his wrist shot looks like a rocket. Even if he didn't know how to skate he could score goals :laugh:

Yeah, but there is that weird "drop to one knee thing" on his one-timers. I'm sure that will be first on the list for Maurice and his staff to coach out of him in an effort to improve his technique and make him a better goal scorer. ;)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, but there is that weird "drop to one knee thing" on his one-timers. I'm sure that will be first on the list for Maurice and his staff to coach out of him in an effort to improve his technique and make him a better goal scorer. ;)

Yes, he should also stop the puck fully and wind up properly before he shoots. That seems to be our way. :naughty:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yes, he should also stop the puck fully and wind up properly before he shoots. That seems to be our way. :naughty:

And then miss the net, don't forget that important part. Maurice knows that NHL goalies are too good to beat with a direct shot. You have to be banking on (snicker) a lucky bounce off a player standing 6' away from the net. Look at how many goals Stu gets that way. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Guys... I'm not so sure anymore I want the carrying force of our NT for years to come anywhere near you. :laugh:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
And then miss the net, don't forget that important part. Maurice knows that NHL goalies are too good to beat with a direct shot. You have to be banking on (snicker) a lucky bounce off a player standing 6' away from the net. Look at how many goals Stu gets that way. :laugh:

I miss Hainsey's ass. (no, not that way). So many goals were redirected in off that. :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stamkos isn't an elite C. It would be better to have Matthews at C and Stamkos as the top winger. If the Leafs decide to break the bank to sign Stamkos to play C then you'd have to wonder a bit about their management group.

Its not like Stamkos is a 'bad' centre. Which is better?
xxx - Matthews - Stamkos - or
Laine - Stamkos - xxx

I tend to agree with your bolded statement but it is close.

It is possible that Stamkos negotiates the condition that he play C. Not saying he will but he could.

Considering the contortions the Leafs would need to go through to come up with the cap space I still think the smart move is for the Leafs to pass on Stamkos. But if they were determined to have him I don't think Matthews is the slam dunk you say it is. Of course the draft comes before they can even talk to Stamkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad