GDT: 2016 NHL Entry Draft: It's Here! Draft Day! 7pm ET\4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I really wish the draft was covered by TSN again. These guys at sportsnet have no idea what they are talking about half the time. Last years coverage was brutal.

It's to the best of my knowledge that most of the TSN guys cover the draft for NBC though, but I think it's exclusively on Sportsnet for Canadians though.

....I can't believe I'm considering streaming an NBC feed...Sportsnet sucks that much.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We will only draft one North American goalie and maybe one from over seas as well.

I hope if the right player is available at some point in the draft we can move up to select a player we really like. Max Jones comes to mind!

Maybe Pitts 1st and a roster player like Bozak, or the 30 and 31 pick. Then trade Bozak in a separate deal for a young player or 2 picks.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We will only draft one North American goalie and maybe one from over seas as well.

I hope if the right player is available at some point in the draft we can move up to select a player we really like. Max Jones comes to mind!

Maybe Pitts 1st and a roster player like Bozak, or the 30 and 31 pick. Then trade Bozak in a separate deal for a young player or 2 picks.

Gustavsson and Parsons later in the draft would be great adds.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Interesting graphic in the National Post today:

nhl-draft-rankings-graphic.png

The Leafs are actually not half bad at drafting, at least compared to the likes of Edmonton.

The Burke years obviously pull us down a bit lower than we would be otherwise.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I'm hoping for 3 goalies.

I like the idea of Gustavsson in the 2nd (SHL), Colton Point in the 4th (will be going to the NCAA), and a CHL goalie somewhere along the way.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm hoping for 3 goalies.

I like the idea of Gustavsson in the 2nd (SHL), Colton Point in the 4th (will be going to the NCAA), and a CHL goalie somewhere along the way.

We just signed a goalie this off season....we do not need more then 2 in this draft.....or one this draft and one in the next draft.

Mad Brills*

pick 31 should be interesting now that they don't have two kicks at the can.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'm hoping we go heavy on BPA. If that mean there's only one goalie picked then great. I'm not for using the next three picks after #1 on a goalie this year.

Also I'm sure we'll get a D-man some where, likely with one of 30th or 31st, but I hope they don't go out of their way to load up on D. These players are minimum two years away (even longer for the goalies) - the teams needs and the make-up will be completely different then and a trade here or there can augment any positional imbalance.

All the players I've mentioned are candidates for BPA at their draft slots. I'm not advocating reaching for positional needs. The later you go in the draft, the less clear it becomes who is the BPA, you will have lots of guys tiered together, in these circumstances it makes sense to address positional needs...especially as it is becoming harder to trade for defenders, good luck shoring up the D in the future with our excess of small wingers as trade bait. These days you have to draft and develop your key players.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Very pleased with the trade, better than Schneider being worth a 9th overall pick.

So Auston Matthews and then who is 31st? I'm still hoping for Bitten/Mascherin. Wouldn't mind guys like Clague and Johansen. IT'S ALL HAPPENING

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
People might think im weird...But i really want to take Ryan Lindgren with #31. I dont think he will slip to our next pick and i like him better then the other D who will be available. Clague and Dineen intrigue me but i just really like Ryan Lindgren and he is the guy i take if im a scout.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I still really want Hart at 31. Nine years between he and Andersen, and acquiring him could really solidify our goaltending situation going forward. I think there's a group of about a dozen dmen in that late first/second range, and I feel like we could get a dman at 57 that isn't that much worse than whoever we would get at 31.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I still really want Hart at 31. Nine years between he and Andersen, and acquiring him could really solidify our goaltending situation going forward. I think there's a group of about a dozen dmen in that late first/second range, and I feel like we could get a dman at 57 that isn't that much worse than whoever we would get at 31.

Given the emphasis Lou has put on Andersen's size, I wonder if he's just going to pass on goalies who aren't giants- which is most of them, in this draft.

Maybe Stephen Dhillon with a later pick?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I believe after this trade, Leafs are not going to draft either Gustavsson or Hart and might opt for Parsons as both Gus and Hart are either going to be late 1st or early 2nd rounders

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
We don't need to draft a goalie this year anymore. Wait until next year or the year after.. Basically wait until there is a goalie who is projected to have more upside then what we just acquired today.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Would acquiring Anderson for the 30th pick + 2nd rounder 2017 look brilliant if the scouts wanted to draft the top goalie prospect in the draft 31st?

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
sigh..

This shouldn't have to be said over and over. You disregard organizational needs when drafting and select the player whom the scouting staff believe will be the most valuable asset.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
sigh..

This shouldn't have to be said over and over. You disregard organizational needs when drafting and select the player whom the scouting staff believe will be the most valuable asset.

Crazy to me people wanted to draft a goalie because of the need on the Leafs, and now don't want to..

If all goes well you're looking at 5 years after the draft for a goalie to be a full time NHL starter and provide a return on the teams investment in selecting them.

Take a goalie (any position really) if you think he'll be a player, forget about the teams needs.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bob Mckenzie's final draft rankings

THE FINAL RANKING

1 Auston Matthews
2 Patrik Laine
3 Jesse Puljujärvi
4 Matthew Tkachuk
5 Pierre-Luc Dubois
6 Olli Juolevi
7 Alexander Nylander
8 Clayton Keller
9 Mikhail Sergachev
10 Logan Brown
11 Tyson Jost
12 Jake Bean
13 Jakob Chychrun
14 Charlie McAvoy
15 Michael McLeod
16 Dante Fabbro
17 Julien Gauthier
18 Kieffer Bellows
19 Max Jones
20 Luke Kunin
21 Riley Tufte
22 Logan Stanley
23 German Rubtsov
24 Brett Howden
25 Dennis Cholowski
26 Libor Hájek
27 Tage Thompson
28 Lucas Johansen
29 Boris Katchouk
30 Kale Clague
31 Rasmus Asplund
32 Pascal Laberge
33 Alex DeBrincat
34 Jordan Kyrou
35 Henrik Borgström
36 Nathan Bastian
37 Dillon Dube
38 Markus Niemeläinen
39 Tyler Benson
40 Carl Grundström
41 Sam Steel
42 Taylor Raddysh
43 Janne Kuokkanen
44 Filip Gustavsson
45 Samuel Girard
46 Ryan Lindgren
47 Will Bitten Flint
48 Tyler Parsons
49 Filip Hronek
50 Cliff Pu
51 Vitali Abramov
52 Wade Allison
53 Adam Mascherin
54 Trent Frederic
55 Adam Fox
56 Joey Anderson
57 Carter Hart
58 Sean Day
59 Cameron Morrison
60 Luke Green
61 Josh Anderson
62 Jonathan Dahlén
63 Matt Filipe
64 Evan Fitzpatrick
65 Yegor Korshkov
66 Jack Kopacka
67 Chad Krys
68 Artur Kayumov
69 Joshua Mahura
70 Givani Smith
71 Connor Hall
72 Cam Dineen
73 Tim Gettinger
74 William Lockwood
75 Victor Mete
76 Andrew Peeke
77 Noah Gregor
78 Jacob Cederholm
79 Kasper Bjorkqvist
80 Mikhail Maltsev

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Not surprised by much on Bob's list, except maybe that Borgstrom is so high.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
We don't need to draft a goalie this year anymore. Wait until next year or the year after.. Basically wait until there is a goalie who is projected to have more upside then what we just acquired today.

That's a ridiculous way of thinking. Sure there are a couple of goalies in next year's draft who are considered blue chippers but a goalie who is drafted this year likely won't make an impact on the leafs until Andersen's contract is up anyways. You still need to keep the cupboards stocked. Let's say we draft Hart or Gustavsson this year. There is no guarantee that Skinner or Dipietro will end up being better in the end. Right now Bibeau and Sparks are the only 2 goalie prospects we have which is not promising. We can't ignore the position just because we aquired a 26 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad