See Gally and Marchand

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Ok new thread?

I only have one question now before the draft:

What is the broadcast schedule for Friday?

If anyone can post that info I'd be grateful. Gotta work really early Saturday (5am) so I'd like to be in bed by 8pm but given the gravity of Friday's event I will probably stay up later.

But very curious when the draft will begin, 7pm type of thing? First pick maybe 15 minutes in or something?

I tried googling 2016 NHL draft broadcast schedule and didn't find what I was after :(

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I am so excited. Curious to see how picks 4-12 go as well.

Yeah I'm also really excited to see who other teams pick, where defencemen go, where the other Nylander goes etc. and then of course pick #30 will be so interesting and then next day pick #31 (it's just the first round on Friday right?)

Will get more and more excited as each day passes this week :yo:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I'm also really excited to see who other teams pick, where defencemen go, where the other Nylander goes etc. and then of course pick #30 will be so interesting and then next day pick #31 (it's just the first round on Friday right?)

Will get more and more excited as each day passes this week :yo:

Just round 1 on Friday yes.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I believe sportsnet has coverage of the 1st round on friday from 7-10 est, then saturday coverage starts on sportsnet at 10 am to 1 pm.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
All this enthusiasm for drafting the most skilled player at our spot regardless of size yet I hear almost no one saying we should draft DeBrincat.

Curious .

I guess our fans only like small players like Bracco after we drafted them.

Well who's to say DeBrincat is one of the most skilled players available, just because he's 5'7?

We know he can finish plays off, but what about the other parts of his game? playmaking, skating, hockey sense - from what I've seen it's all pretty good, but coupled with the fact that he is an undersized player perhaps there is too much risk for some. Also considering where he projected to be picked vs. another player that could be available may also be why some people are omitting him. :dunno:

I'll throw one a name out there and that's Matt Phillips of Victoria. Same size as Debrincat (5'7), but one noticeable skill he has over him (IMO) is skating and edge work that can look Gaudreau-esque. So considering the value of the pick that could be necessary to select either one of them, I'd consider Phillips possibly the better/more prudent option.

Mad Brills*

Day 2 of the draft is longer than 3 hours.

It's 10-3:30-4 usually.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well who's to say DeBrincat is one of the most skilled players available, just because he's 5'7?

We know he can finish plays off, but what about the other parts of his game? playmaking, skating, hockey sense - from what I've seen it's all pretty good, but coupled with the fact that he is an undersized player perhaps there is too much risk for some. Also considering where he projected to be picked vs. another player that could be available may also be why some people are omitting him. :dunno:

I'll throw one a name out there and that's Matt Phillips of Victoria. Same size as Debrincat (5'7), but one noticeable skill he has over him (IMO) is skating and edge work that can look Gaudreau-esque. So considering the value of the pick that could be necessary to select either one of them, I'd consider Philips possibly the better/ more prudent option.

Good luck getting any since of moderation of DeBrincat on here

His skating is OK nothing special
He's played beside elite centers
He struggled when he went up a level at the WJC to the point he got benched in one game and thrown out of another even though he was playing with Austin Mathews as his center

All people see is goal totals not his ability to translate his game to make a NHL roster

If anyone can tell me how DeBrincat has any more chance of making it as Johanson Clague Gustavsson who are also projects I'd love to hear it

The difference between these players and DeBrincat is that we have a desperate organizational need for those players

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Day 2 of the draft is longer than 3 hours.

It's 10-3:30-4 usually.

Not in my experience. I recall that it typically wraps up between one o'clock and two, usually closer to one. The picks go much faster after the 1st round pomp and ceremony.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not in my experience. I recall that it typically wraps up between one o'clock and two, usually closer to one. The picks go much faster after the 1st round pomp and ceremony.

Accurate, only delays really are trades (players or picks)

Mad Brills*

my bad.

Anyways, the saturday of the draft is the busiest league day of the year aside from july 1st.

17 trades involving players over the 2 days of the draft.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Good luck getting any since of moderation of DeBrincat on here

His skating is OK nothing special
He's played beside elite centers
He struggled when he went up a level at the WJC to the point he got benched in one game and thrown out of another even though he was playing with Austin Mathews as his center

All people see is goal totals not his ability to translate his game to make a NHL roster

If anyone can tell me how DeBrincat has any more chance of making it as Johanson Clague Gustavsson who are also projects I'd love to hear it

The difference between these players and DeBrincat is that we have a desperate organizational need for those players

I don't particularly like Debrincat (other than the name)

I think he lives on a standout quality in his ability to find soft spots, and his quick release. I feel like he's a junior killer, he's got the skill set to absolutely kill lower leagues but not the overall game or talent to be a potentially impactful player at the NHL level.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't particularly like Debrincat (other than the name)

I think he lives on a standout quality in his ability to find soft spots, and his quick release. I feel like he's a junior killer, he's got the skill set to absolutely kill lower leagues but not the overall game or talent to be a potentially impactful player at the NHL level.

I liked him earlier on, but not so much now, at least definitely not for us...

My 2 cents is that I don't think he has enough tools to thrive in the NHL.

buttman*

But yeah from the last thread
You don't have to be big to play a big mans game
See Gally and Marchand

So glad Burke is gone. Janie Devane. Tyler Biggs -- traded a first and second for him. The list goes on.

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
Players not picked?

If a player is not picked in the draft can a team try to sign him after the draft?
If so I think the leafs should try to sign Troy Timpano if he isn't taken?
I think the team in front of him was really bad and that explains his poor stats.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If a player is not picked in the draft can a team try to sign him after the draft?
If so I think the leafs should try to sign Troy Timpano if he isn't taken?
I think the team in front of him was really bad and that explains his poor stats.

Depends on the player's age I think. Although I do also believe there is a limited window where guys could be invited to camp and then signed to a contract (unless this loophole was closed), otherwise most would simply go back in the draft.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I liked him earlier on, but not so much now, at least definitely not for us...

My 2 cents is that I don't think he has enough tools to thrive in the NHL.

I don't like how small he is but I could live with picking him if he had elite skating and really top notch puck skills but I just don't see it

Its hard to see how a guy who has less than excellent skating and edgework and is 5'7 makes himself into a top line player and at that point in the draft that's what we should be looking for IMO

I would like Clague/Johanson/Gustavsson
Any two of the those three and I'd be happy

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So glad Burke is gone. Janie Devane. Tyler Biggs -- traded a first and second for him. The list goes on.

That was about sixe and toughness. Burke's preferred style of play called for it. Much like you see in the NFL with teams who draft by scheme.

It's not a bad concept at all, it was the choices made that sunk the ship.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't like how small he is but I could live with picking him if he had elite skating and really top notch puck skills but I just don't see it

Its hard to see how a guy who has less than excellent skating and edgework and is 5'7 makes himself into a top line player and at that point in the draft that's what we should be looking for IMO

I would like Clague/Johanson/Gustavsson
Any two of the those three and I'd be happy

Any of those 3 and Hart, 2 of those 4 i'd be fine with.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Any of those 3 and Hart, 2 of those 4 i'd be fine with.

Dmen and goalies would seem to me to be a really good idea
They take longer to develop so the sooner we get them into the organization the better you would think especially with all the young forward talent we have ready to take the next step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad