GDT: 2016 NHL Entry Draft: It's Here! Draft Day! 7pm ET\4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
2 of Dineen, Fox, Clague, Girard at 30/31 would be awesome.

I hope we don't draft a goalie. Rather just trade for one.

Not drafting goalies is part of the reason we need to trade for one now. What makes more sense: using late picks and developing goalies or using top 60 picks to trade for an established one? I'm of the belief that you should draft a goalie every year. Not with high picks or anything of course. Worst case scenario is you're out a 6th rounder or whatever. Best case is you end up with multiple goalies and can use them as trade chips.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Mcavoy and Keller are definitely my two #1 trade up options outside the top 10.

Keller is just so elusive, what an electrifying talent. Mcavoy has a great all around game and i could see him developing into a real solid top pairing d man.

Dineen and Girard are very intriguing to me. Personally im way higher on the idea of drafting Fox and Lindgren though better all around players IMO. I would hope Clague falls to us as well.

my ideal draft with no trades:

1.) Matthews
30.) Clague
31.) Lindgren
57.) Dahlen
62.) Kyrou
72.) Parsons
92.) Sambrook
101.) Lockwood
122: Pastujov
152: ANg
179: Candella
182: Staum

Obviously there are a lot of other kids i like but this is just what i came up with at this moment...Really into drafting Lindgren...I really want that kid in our system. Ang, Pastujov and Lockwood are guys i really wanna get with those later picks.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Mcavoy and Keller are definitely my two #1 trade up options outside the top 10.

Obviously there are a lot of other kids i like but this is just what i came up with at this moment...Really into drafting Lindgren...I really want that kid in our system.

I like the way you think. :handclap:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Meh... every GM could be charged with a list of draft picks that didn't work out.

Well through his four leaf drafts, Granberg is his non top 10 pick with the most NHL games played at 35.

Granted I think Brown will be an NHLer.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Benson or Katchouk are who I want to end day 1 on. I think Katchouk is safer, but if Benson is healthy (and this season is a one off) I think long term he is the perfect player for a Matthews-Marner line. He's a good passer, high IQ, can score in close and is willing to grind. Exactly the type of guy who has excelled on the Dvorak/Marner line in London.

I'm with you on that. Benson/Katchouk is fine with me. There's something about Katchouk and his skillset that make me feel confident that he's going to transition to the NHL very well. He's gritty, defensively aware and versatile and, in the last year, including the playoffs, showed good development in his offensive skills. He may be the type of guy that can make his way on the MM line in the future. It may be worth the gamble.

If Abramov and Debrincat are rated in, say, the late teens for the Leafs and they're there at 30/31 then maybe they should pick them. However, if the difference between them and, say, Katchouk is just a couple of slots then I would go for need and draft Katchouk.

Also, I'm happy that so many people have Cole Candella in their ideal draft pick ratings. The guy was a sensation throughout most of his hockey career and was forgotten about this year mostly due to a wrist injury. I can see him being the Nielsen of this year's draft.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Most people have selected Hart, is he really better than Gustavsson? or is it because of lack of information on Gustavsson or is it North American / European bias? or is it based on popularity?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Most people have selected Hart, is he really better than Gustavsson? or is it because of lack of information on Gustavsson or is it North American / European bias? or is it based on popularity?

I like Hart more than any other goaltender this year. I'm iffy on Gustavsson. My feeling when it comes to goaltending prospects is that where skaters depend on their strengths, goaltenders tend to be limited by their flaws. And I like the complete package of Hart. He is athletic enough, moves around well enough, technically sound enough, has good enough reads and seem to have a terrific mind as well.

Gotta say though that goaltending prospect evaluation isn't my strong suit though.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I like Hart more than any other goaltender this year. I'm iffy on Gustavsson. My feeling when it comes to goaltending prospects is that where skaters depend on their strengths, goaltenders tend to be limited by their flaws. And I like the complete package of Hart. He is athletic enough, moves around well enough, technically sound enough, has good enough reads and seem to have a terrific mind as well.

Gotta say though that goaltending prospect evaluation isn't my strong suit though.

So I believe he might go some where 21st - 30th (a 1st rounder)? and might not last until the time we are ready for our 30th pick

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So I believe he might go some where 21st - 30th (a 1st rounder)? and might not last until the time we are ready for our 30th pick

That's very possible. I don't think he's special enough to use anything else than a very late 1st anyway. If he is available at 30, he's on of my top alternatives at the position.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I like Evan Fitzpatrick the best personally of all available highly ranked goalies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If no trades get made, first choice / second choice (I'd take my second choice over the next round first every time if still available)

1. Auston Matthews C (Zurich, NLA)
30. Lucas Johansen LD (Kelowna, WHL) / Kale Clague LD (Brandon, WHL)
31. Cam Dineen LD (North Bay, OHL) / Jonathan Dahlen LW (Timra AK, Allsvenskan)
57. Filip Gustavsson G (Lulea HF, SHL) / Ryan Lindgren LD (U18 USNTDP)
62. Victor Mete LD (London, OHL) / Cliff Pu C (London, OHL)
72. Colton Point G (Carleton Place, CCHL) / Zach Sawchenko G (Moose Jaw, WHL)
92. Dimitri Sokolov LW/C (Sudbury, OHL) / Vladimir Kuznetsov RW (Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL)
101. Filip Berglund RD (Skelleftea, Allsvenskan)
122. Jordan Sambrook RD (Erie, OHL)
152. Cole Candella LD (Hamilton, OHL)
179. Nicolas Mattinen RD (London, OHL)
182. Rylan Toth G (Red Deer, OHL)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I voted Gustavsson because people have them on similar tiers except I believe Hart will be drafted before 57.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I'm interested in Cholowski at 30-31 but a number of recent mock drafts have him going in the 20's. Though Cox has him going to the Leafs at 30, FWIW.

He's thin but still growing, a great skater and skilled puck handler with sound defensive instincts, according to the reports. He may have top pairing upside.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm interested in Cholowski at 30-31 but a number of recent mock drafts have him going in the 20's. Though Cox has him going to the Leafs at 30, FWIW.

He's thin but still growing, a great skater and skilled puck handler with sound defensive instincts, according to the reports. He may have top pairing upside.

I'm a big fan of top level skaters in my defenders. Cholowski has that.

I'm always skeptical or at least nervous about drafting players from the BCHL in the top 60 though. But I guess high risk/high reward is the way to go sometimes and when you have a ton of picks, taking a risk or two with your picks could be worth it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm a big fan of top level skaters in my defenders. Cholowski has that.

I'm always skeptical or at least nervous about drafting players from the BCHL in the top 60 though. But I guess high risk/high reward is the way to go sometimes and when you have a ton of picks, taking a risk or two with your picks could be worth it.

I was hesitant about Fabbro because of the BCHL thing, but he actually did very well at the U18, I liked his positioning and stick work. He'd be a longer term project though, at least 2-4 years off.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
while bitten and mascherin are nice,but our mgmt group dont want more small forwards Benson or Katchouk would be better options imo

I meant if we're drafting Kyrou at 30 (which I think is ridiculous) then I'd rather take a Bitten or Mascherin. Despite his height, I genuinely believe that Mascherin is not undersized at all. 5'9", but 200lbs. That's a bowling ball right there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Red Line Top 10 Forwards:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-matthews-laine-puljujarvi-tkachuk/85875602/

Reading this makes you want to see how high the Leafs could go with JVR++ in a trade for a top 10 pick.

Matthews and one of Dubois or Brown?

Red Line Top 10 Defenders:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/draft/2016/06/15/nhl-draft-2016-defensemen/85937714/

Could Niemelainen be there at 30th.?

Red Line Top 10 Goalies:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...016-goalies-gustavsson-hart-parsons/86115454/

This year's crop of netminders is thin with three clear-cut guys at the top of the list, and then it's all a big jumble. Netminders are a volatile commodity at such a young age, so it's almost impossible to predict who will mature into the best one five or six years down the road. That's pretty much the normal incubation time for goalies drafted at age 18 to begin making a mark at the NHL level. Look across the 30-team NHL landscape and count how many netminders age 22-and-under there are in the league; it's a very short list.

Using 30th. or 31st. or wait and take whatever is leftover after the 2nd. round.

We give the slight edge to Gustavsson because we love his quiet play around the crease with very little wasted movement. He's just so calm and seems to give his team confidence. Plus he's got excellent flexibility and balance, and always manages to get himself squared up to shooters. He takes away the lower half of the net and absorbs shots well, leaving very few rebounds

Hart was the class of the North American goalie crop from Day 1, and maintained a consistently high level throughout the season. He's a confident butterfly goalie with a lightning-quick glove who sometimes relies too much on his remarkable reflexes, and will need to clean up some technique flaws. At "only" 6-1, he tends to go down too early and gives shooters too much room to look at up high.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Id like to see Veini Vehviläinen as our second goalie taken. Underrated because he's 19 and had a poor outing at the WJC. Put up unreal numbers in a men's league this year. I've seen compares to Blues top goalie prospect Ville Husso.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Id like to see Veini Vehviläinen as our second goalie taken. Underrated because he's 19 and had a poor outing at the WJC. Put up unreal numbers in a men's league this year. I've seen compares to Blues top goalie prospect Ville Husso.

I've been thinking this too, but it seems like every time I see a Finnish poster talking about him they are pretty ho-hum about him. Not much to go on obviously, but it has cooled my enthusiasm somewhat. :)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs have a poor history of drafting quality goaltenders, in their entire history Leafs have selected total of 37 goaltenders

- 10 of those 37 played over 100 games
- Felix Potvin (the most) 640 games and Ken Wregget (2nd highest)
- Felix Potvin and Tuukka Rask (never played for the Leafs) were the best goalies selected by the Leafs
- only 17 of those selected (37) saw some action in NHL and 9 of those 17 played less then 200 games
- Bob Parent, Ken Holland & Justin Pogge (highly touted) played less then 10 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad