2016 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If Evan Fitzpatrick or Carter Hart drop to the Isles in the 3rd round I want either of them chosen. Go forward in the 1st round and D in the second.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Any rumblings from staples? When do team reps(GMs) usually arrive at the arena on draft night? That's when **** happens when guys are on the dance floor together.

Garth is lik the pretty girl. Everyone is afraid to ask her to dance.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Garth is normally very active at the draft but he doesn't have many picks to play with this year. I can see him trying to offload UFAs and unwanted prospects for a couple of picks though

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Is Dante Fabbro a risk to leverage the NCAA loophole and become UFA after four years? It looks like he is going to be a freshman at BU next season.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Watching the NHL channel and the analysts are really talking up Stanley, saying whoever picks him is gonna get a very nice player who will have a long career in the NHL

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I don't know why everyone is afraid we will drafting Stanley, he is not the type of player garth likes he tends to go more with speed and a good first pass when drafting d-man. I could see Fabbro or if one of the other d-men fall but not stanley. I think Garth learned his lesson when drafting Reinhert.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I agree with you, hoping for Bellows, but would be psyched for Jones, Gauthier, Kunin or Rubtsov

I don't see us keeping the pick, at the very least we trade back for a late 1st/early 2nd and another 2nd or 3rd.

That said I'd be very happy with Jones or Kunin.

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
Not sure if forward or dman matters....we need to get the best player we can.

If anything, we have better forward prospect (MDC, Barzal, AB, Ho-Sang) than Dman. Pulock shouldn't be considered a prospect anymore and beyond Pelech/Vande Sompel, we don't have much to be excited about...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I do not want a defenseman. We need forwards.

Uh...Yes we all do. But you're talking what you want for the team NEXT SEASON. If the Isles draft at #19 that player won't be playing for two years minimum, so it still makes sense to draft the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

I mean if there was another Erik Karlsson on the board at #19 should we pass over him because someone like Dustin Penner is the best forward still available? I mean come on. The goal is to always have the best possible assets in your system because even if you don't use them for yourself they can always be traded.

...However they can't be traded if they aren't a good pick. Just ask the Oilers if they'd like to have their Nail Yakupov pick back from 2012.

PICK THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE ALWAYS. YOU SCREW IT UP WHEN YOU TRY TO DO ANYTHING ELSE.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't see us keeping the pick, at the very least we trade back for a late 1st/early 2nd and another 2nd or 3rd.

That said I'd be very happy with Jones or Kunin.

That's what I'd be thinking ordinarily in this situation but it seems that the top of this draft is about 20 picks deep. We are on the outer edge of that range but if we stay put, it seems like we will land a quality player (granted it will be the one that drops to us). If we trade down to 25 or so, we may not be getting the same caliber of player that was otherwise available to us.

That's assuming, of course, that the Isles draft board is consistent with the conventional wisdom floating around. It probably isn't.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Uh...Yes we all do. But you're talking what you want for the team NEXT SEASON. If the Isles draft at #19 that player won't be playing for two years minimum, so it still makes sense to draft the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

I mean if there was another Erik Karlsson on the board at #19 should we pass over him because someone like Dustin Penner is the best forward still available? I mean come on. The goal is to always have the best possible assets in your system because even if you don't use them for yourself they can always be traded.

...However they can't be traded if they aren't a good pick. Just ask the Oilers if they'd like to have their Nail Yakupov pick back from 2012.

PICK THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE ALWAYS. YOU SCREW IT UP WHEN YOU TRY TO DO ANYTHING ELSE.

I don't disagree with this logic at all, periferal. I don't. But when we have 20 defensive prospects and one RW prospect, I'm more inclined to take the RW since what we have is just so bare.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
That's what I'd be thinking ordinarily in this situation but it seems that the top of this draft is about 20 picks deep. We are on the outer edge of that range but if we stay put, it seems like we will land a quality player (granted it will be the one that drops to us). If we trade down to 25 or so, we may not be getting the same caliber of player that was otherwise available to us.

That's assuming, of course, that the Isles draft board is consistent with the conventional wisdom floating around. It probably isn't.

This is an excellent point after the top 5 d-man probably around pick 20 our taken there is probably no other d-men worth taking in the first. And then after pick 20 the forwards drop off also, a lot more risks in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad