2016 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Why trade his rights, why wouldn't the Isles take a long look at Johan Sundstrøm for the 3rd or 4th line?

I don't think they'll move up. I do think that it's a real possibility that de Haan is traded. If anything, I can see the team moving back. Can't imagine Snow has any desire to wait until the 4th round Saturday before he gets to pick again.

No need to be moving futures to move up this year. There'll be plenty of goodins next season as well and what with all the contracts this team will be needing to sign in the years to come, restocking will have to take place. The system must be kept healthy.
If the interest in Johan Sundstrøm is real (had a huge season in Sweden), then dealing him a for a 3rd or 4th should be a possibility.[/QUOTE]

Dunno if his rights will be moved. I don't think he and the Isles have any plans together, but he is now ineligible to play in the NHL this upcoming season. Gotta think his rights will be moved in the future. Or who knows - maybe Snow sees has him in the plans after next season?[/QUOTE]

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
My pick for Islanders #19 selection: Brett Howden

“A two-way forward who uses his large frame to his advantage standing in front of the net screening the goalie and collecting rebounds. Will battle hard in front and in the corners with a real physical edge. He won’t drop the gloves but plays a game that suits his size. Has a real long reach that he uses to protect the puck. Has shown much improved play in the defensive zone over the season and is a real mature puck distributor. Skating needs some work and he needs to remember to keep his feet moving away from the puck.”
–Marshall Mackinder, Hockey Now

"Heady playmaker with good size and a “Follow Me” attitude who played on Moose Jaw’s top-six thanks to a combination of strong hockey sense and tenacity. One thing we noticed is how fine a passer he is — especially off his backhand — and how he threads the needle across long distances. Brett isn’t as fast as his brother (and 2010 first rounder) Quinton, but he makes up for it with the kind of no-quit attitude and sound positioning necessary for teenage centers to exploit the obvious advantage in puck skills. He’s strong on his feet and will eat defenders alive if they aren’t squared to him, but he’s more of a thinking-man’s puck rusher in that he’d rather stop short and re-***** rather than try to blow past or through a defender.

Howden owns a hard, quick wrist shot that he favors over the slap shot, but also carries a strong backhander he can elevate once inside the hash marks. He’s also strong on faceoffs and can be used in both shorthanded and late-game situations." - Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/draft-profile-brett-howden/

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
From NYI.com:

ISLANDERS HEAD AMATEUR SCOUT VELLU KAUTONEN:

"Rubtsov is a talented Russian forward with a good frame and willingness to make a difference every time he steps on ice. Solid player with and without the puck. He has good puck skills and vision and can make players around him better."

Could the trend be broken and the Isles go for a Euro, a Russian no less? I would not be surprised.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
From NYI.com:

"Rubtsov is a talented Russian forward with a good frame and willingness to make a difference every time he steps on ice. Solid player with and without the puck. He has good puck skills and vision and can make players around him better."

Could the trend be broken and the Isles go for a Euro, a Russian no less? I would not be surprised.

I doubt it due to our lack of European scouts, but someone pointed out earlier in here that our head ameteur scout is now Vellu Kautonen, so it is possible we see a change in philosophy and more willingness to take Euros early.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
From NYI.com:

I like what I hear about Rubtsov, but the website does post this kind of stuff every year.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

“A two-way forward who uses his large frame to his advantage standing in front of the net screening the goalie and collecting rebounds. Will battle hard in front and in the corners with a real physical edge. He won’t drop the gloves but plays a game that suits his size. Has a real long reach that he uses to protect the puck. Has shown much improved play in the defensive zone over the season and is a real mature puck distributor. Skating needs some work and he needs to remember to keep his feet moving away from the puck.”

"Heady playmaker with good size and a “Follow Me” attitude who played on Moose Jaw’s top-six thanks to a combination of strong hockey sense and tenacity. One thing we noticed is how fine a passer he is — especially off his backhand — and how he threads the needle across long distances. Brett isn’t as fast as his brother (and 2010 first rounder) Quinton, but he makes up for it with the kind of no-quit attitude and sound positioning necessary for teenage centers to exploit the obvious advantage in puck skills. He’s strong on his feet and will eat defenders alive if they aren’t squared to him, but he’s more of a thinking-man’s puck rusher in that he’d rather stop short and re-***** rather than try to blow past or through a defender.

Howden owns a hard, quick wrist shot that he favors over the slap shot, but also carries a strong backhander he can elevate once inside the hash marks. He’s also strong on faceoffs and can be used in both shorthanded and late-game situations." - Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst

In other words Dustin Penner come on down

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

“A two-way forward who uses his large frame to his advantage standing in front of the net screening the goalie and collecting rebounds. Will battle hard in front and in the corners with a real physical edge. He won’t drop the gloves but plays a game that suits his size. Has a real long reach that he uses to protect the puck. Has shown much improved play in the defensive zone over the season and is a real mature puck distributor. Skating needs some work and he needs to remember to keep his feet moving away from the puck.â€

"Heady playmaker with good size and a “Follow Me†attitude who played on Moose Jaw’s top-six thanks to a combination of strong hockey sense and tenacity. One thing we noticed is how fine a passer he is — especially off his backhand — and how he threads the needle across long distances. Brett isn’t as fast as his brother (and 2010 first rounder) Quinton, but he makes up for it with the kind of no-quit attitude and sound positioning necessary for teenage centers to exploit the obvious advantage in puck skills. He’s strong on his feet and will eat defenders alive if they aren’t squared to him, but he’s more of a thinking-man’s puck rusher in that he’d rather stop short and re-***** rather than try to blow past or through a defender.

Seems like a safe bet, but no real high end potential.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I like what I hear about Rubtsov, but the website does post this kind of stuff every year.

Let's pick this kid. Help us to forget the lockness monster/ abomonible snowman that had a short stay in Bridgeport.
Should get the Brighton Beach crowd up to Barclays.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Let's pick this kid. Help us to forget the lockness monster/ abomonible snowman that had a short stay in Bridgeport.
Should get the Brighton Beach crowd up to Barclays.

I'm pretty sure Rubtsov said he's coming to the CHL next season, but by all means, keep spewing junk.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I doubt it due to our lack of European scouts, but someone pointed out earlier in here that our head ameteur scout is now Vellu Kautonen, so it is possible we see a change in philosophy and more willingness to take Euros early.

I think that description is pretty glowing for a #19 pick (size, talent, 2-way play, attitude, ability to make others better) and seems to fit in with the kind of player the Isles have drafted in the past. Per Button (I know, I know) he scores a 5/5 on competitiveness and hockey sense, things the Isles really seem to value. I think there's a chance he's the pick (if we make the pick), despite past tendencies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Rubstov could play in the AHL as early as next year but more importantly after one year of junior because he's being drafted out of Europe.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A lot to love about Rubstovs game. By all accounts he's a powerful skater and a 2 way beast. Plays great defensively.
If it is in fact true that he's crossing the pond, then that raises him on some rankings IMO.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think that description is pretty glowing for a #19 pick (size, talent, 2-way play, attitude, ability to make others better) and seems to fit in with the kind of player the Isles have drafted in the past. Per Button (I know, I know) he scores a 5/5 on competitiveness and hockey sense, things the Isles really seem to value. I think there's a chance he's the pick (if we make the pick), despite past tendencies.

Don't get me wrong, as a player I do think he fits the Islanders draft tendencies very well. He basically projects as a stronger and more physical Nielsen, and obviously that's something the Islanders would love to have. The only reason I don't think they will is due to limited European scouting, but with the change in headscouts, it does become a possibility.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Button had Rubstov coming to us at 19 in tonight's tsn mock draft.

They also had a super short segment where they talked about Garths love for making deals at the draft table. I think they said he's made deals at 9 of the last 10 drafts, or something like that lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

They also had a super short segment where they talked about Garths love for making deals at the draft table. I think they said he's made deals at 9 of the last 10 drafts, or something like that lol

I can't see Snow making a trade this year unless he trades down. Many of the trades he made was basically trading a early 2nd round pick for a low first round pick

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

I think 2007 was the one year he didn't do any deals but we had next to no picks then. Unless he trades down or chooses to deal a player or prospect it won't be easy making deals this year with no 2nd or 3rd rounder.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Miracle Drops:
Kieffer Bellows
Logan Brown

In the 19th area:
Charlie McAvoy
Riley Tufte
Dante Fabbro
Max Jones
Julien Gauthier
Luke Kunin
German Rubtsov

Reaches:
Rasmus Asplund
Pascal Laberge
Logan Stanley
Vitali Abramov
Tage Thompson

http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

He has the following for players I mentioned.

Miracle Drops:
Kieffer Bellows 18
Logan Brown 10

In the 19th area:
Charlie McAvoy 14
Riley Tufte 21
Dante Fabbro 16
Max Jones 19
Julien Gauthier 17
Luke Kunin 20
German Rubtsov 23

Reaches:
Rasmus Asplund 31
Pascal Laberge 32
Logan Stanley 22
Vitali Abramov 51
Tage Thompson 27

Most of what I said is still in that 19th area with Bellows dropping and McAvoy moving up.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I like ) - Julien Gauthier I don't know why many here seem to hope we don't take him, also I'm not familiar with Logan stanley but I've read a few positive reviews I'm not sure why most people here hope we don't draft him?

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
From what I saw of Rubstov, he looks really mature physically. Which could be really good. Or it could be really alarming (meldonium enhanced training?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad