2016 NHL Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Figured I would draw up a list of LW and RD who will/could be available in the 2nd round (though frankly especially in regards to the LW list ~5 will be certainly gone before our 1st 2nd rounder):

LW:

Jonathan Dahlén: SWE: 5'11, 176lbs. LW/C. LHS
Dillon Dubé: CAN: 5'10, 180lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Cameron Morrison: CAN: 6'2, 203lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Brett Howden: CAN: 6'3, 190lbs. C/LW. LHS.
Adam Mascherin: CAN: 5'10, 205lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Šimon Stránský: CZE: 6'0, 170lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Janne Kuokkanen: FIN: 6'1, 179lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Carl Grundström: SWE: 6'0, 194lbs. LW. LHS.
Noah Gregor: CAN: 6'0, 172lbs. C/LW. LHS.
Givani Smith: CAN: 6'1, 197lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Dmitri Sokolov: RUS: 6'1, 208lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Artur Kayumov: RUS: 5'11, 176lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Boris Katchouk: CAN: 6'1, 180lbs. LW. LHS.
Matt Filipe: USA: 6'2, 205lbs. LW/C. LHS.
William Knierim: USA: 6'3, 218. RW/LW. RHS.
Vladimir Kuznetsov: RUS: 6'2, 214lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Otto Mäkinen: FIN: 6'1, 179lbs. C/LW. LHS.

RHD:

Frédéric Allard: CAN: 6'1, 179lbs. RD. RHS.
Luke Green: CAN: 6'1, 186lbs. RD. RHS.
Andrew Peeke: USA: 6'3, 205lbs. RD. RHS.
Filip Hronek: CZE: 6'0, 163lbs. RD. RHS.
Adam Fox: USA: 5'10, 183lbs. RD. RHS.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Givani Smith is listed as 6'1" & I believe Mark Edwards said before that he's more like 6'3". I don't know if he still is but he was also pretty high on Smith earlier in the season. He had Smith as a late first.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Givani Smith is listed as 6'1" & I believe Mark Edwards said before that he's more like 6'3". I don't know if he still is but he was also pretty high on Smith earlier in the season. He had Smith as a late first.

Yeh, that was a ****-up on my part actually!

I was transferring them over from a excel sheet I have and was looking at Cam Dineen's measurements instead in the row above... dang, gave away some of my draft rankings there! ;)

Should read 6'1, 197lbs from what I have on excel. I have seen him a few times this year and I cannot imagine he is 6'3 tbh. 6'1-6'2 seems about right.

Actually... just checked and the latest NHL release has him at 6'2 and 204.

I would not mind us taking him with our 2nd 2nd rounder tbh.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Btw, thought this was interesting... from my personal current top 60 here are the primary positions of the players:

G: x2
LD: x11
RD: x5
LW: x21
C: x14
RW: x7

Ofc some are not cut and dry in regards to forwards.

But looking at just forwards and the count of number of guys who can play each position:

LW: x21 primary, x8 secondary
C: x14 primary, x14 secondary
RW: x7 primary, x12 secondary

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It really depends what we do with the first pick but I wouldn't mind using the first second rounder on him if possible. If they took a guy like Jones with their first pick for example I would look elsewhere though.

Yeh, it depends what happens... I mean, I think there could be a big run on D in the early to mid 2nd with Clague, Krys, Hajek, Girard, Allard, Johansen, Green, Stanley & Dineen all potentially involved.

Which if that happens could drop a forward who should really be going at ~30-35 to our pick... and forwards who should be at ~45 to the Chicago pick...

in that circumstance (if Allard & Green were gone by our 2nd) I think it may make sense to go forward with our first three picks... and then hope that Peeke or Hronek are there in the 3rd. (or Fox or Cederholm... though I am not too high on either... Fox is a risk IMO and Cederholm has a low ceiling.)

The thing is in this draft though is RHD are really pretty weak... after Peeke, Hronek, Fox & Cederholm there is pretty much only Quenneville, Sambrook and Makeyev who have a decent shot of being taken inside the 4th I think.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Another bit from FC on Dahlen

http://futureconsiderations.ca/prospects-making-final-pushes-as-seasons-enter-stretch/

Future Considerations’ Swedish scout Mikael Hedberg has been singing the praises of Timra winger Jonathan Dahlen most of the season but really turned up the volume with Dahlen’s play late in his season. His two-way game has been strong, but his goal scoring took a drastic spike in the Allsvenskan playoffs as he scored six of his team’s total of 12 goals in his five playoff games, good for second overall in Allsvenkan playoff scoring.

“I absolutely believe that Dahlen has taken his game to another level and should climb in the rankings,” Hedberg said. “Maybe not all the way to the first round, but he could challenge for a spot there if a team loves his impressive upside.”

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Having watched a lot of him this year (and at Hlinka and WJ18, where he was better than some serious players) I would quite happily take him in the early 20's... kid has awesome upside and just makes things happen most shifts. Him and Asplund are very close IMO.

No idea how it took him so long to get into 1st round consideration in most ranks/mocks tbh... I think a lot is to do with his Birthday being only a weeks or so before New Year. Had he been born a few days later and been able to play U-18 internationals this year people would have had no choice to realise how good he is!

What he did in his last ~20 games this season was unreal tbh... he saved his team from looming relegation and was one of the only guys who showed up in post-season... going PPG over those games on a team that did not score much at all.

Tbh though it happens almost every year with at least one Swedish prospect for some reason... heck, Eriksson Ek was not making some respected outlets/peoples top 100's this time last year when I think anyone who watched him probably thought he was a 1st round talent from before New Year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Figured I would draw up a list of LW and RD who will/could be available in the 2nd round (though frankly especially in regards to the LW list ~5 will be certainly gone before our 1st 2nd rounder):

LW:

Jonathan Dahlén: SWE: 5'11, 176lbs. LW/C. LHS
Dillon Dubé: CAN: 5'10, 180lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Cameron Morrison: CAN: 6'2, 203lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Brett Howden: CAN: 6'3, 190lbs. C/LW. LHS.
Adam Mascherin: CAN: 5'10, 205lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Šimon Stránský: CZE: 6'0, 170lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Janne Kuokkanen: FIN: 6'1, 179lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Carl Grundström: SWE: 6'0, 194lbs. LW. LHS.

Noah Gregor: CAN: 6'0, 172lbs. C/LW. LHS.
Givani Smith: CAN: 6'1, 197lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Dmitri Sokolov: RUS: 6'1, 208lbs. LW/C. LHS.
Artur Kayumov: RUS: 5'11, 176lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Boris Katchouk: CAN: 6'1, 180lbs. LW. LHS.
Matt Filipe: USA: 6'2, 205lbs. LW/C. LHS.
William Knierim: USA: 6'3, 218. RW/LW. RHS.
Vladimir Kuznetsov: RUS: 6'2, 214lbs. LW/RW. LHS.
Otto Mäkinen: FIN: 6'1, 179lbs. C/LW. LHS.

RHD:

Frédéric Allard: CAN: 6'1, 179lbs. RD. RHS.
Luke Green: CAN: 6'1, 186lbs. RD. RHS.
Andrew Peeke: USA: 6'3, 205lbs. RD. RHS.
Filip Hronek: CZE: 6'0, 163lbs. RD. RHS.
Adam Fox: USA: 5'10, 183lbs. RD. RHS.

Bold is whom I would target (assuming no other names fall). The only defender I want with our first three picks is McAvoy, but depending on who is available in the second, Allard is a guy that intrigues me.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
When trying bolster a little luck in guessing where the Flyers may focus-- I make sure to add risers or players that have strong skill sets that may have 1 knock on them (like skating alone, or size) the further the draft goes on to find potentially value rich prospects. I'm so glad they aren't vested in spending later round picks on safer plugs recently.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
When trying bolster a little luck in guessing where the Flyers may focus-- I make sure to add risers or players that have strong skill sets that may have 1 knock on them (like skating alone, or size) the further the draft goes on to find potentially value rich prospects. I'm so glad they aren't vested in spending later round picks on safer plugs recently.

Good point. They will likely be in the range where they drafted Sanheim, and he was definitely a riser

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What do you like about those guys?

I only know bits and pieces about these guys, because unlike you and many others on here, I do not watch 9 hours of hockey per day and read every article/blog about each and every draft prospect, so I'm sure you are waiting for me to write something and then say "OMG you are so stupid that player only had 14:11 minutes of ice time last night not 14:17 of ice time do you even lift bro?" But what I have seen and read about these guys, they are players that are either A) putting up good numbers (like Allard); B) being talked about constantly around here (Dahlen); or C) just guys that I've liked what I've seen/read about. I know that isn't the best way to form an opinion, but again, I do not have the time that you folks have to become an expert on every single NHLer, prospect, and draft prospect in the world. And that is not a knock or some kind of insult...if I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I only know bits and pieces about these guys, because unlike you and many others on here, I do not watch 9 hours of hockey per day and read every article/blog about each and every draft prospect, so I'm sure you are waiting for me to write something and then say "OMG you are so stupid that player only had 14:11 minutes of ice time last night not 14:17 of ice time do you even lift bro?" But what I have seen and read about these guys, they are players that are either A) putting up good numbers (like Allard); B) being talked about constantly around here (Dahlen); or C) just guys that I've liked what I've seen/read about. I know that isn't the best way to form an opinion, but again, I do not have the time that you folks have to become an expert on every single NHLer, prospect, and draft prospect in the world. And that is not a knock or some kind of insult...if I could do that, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ya know, he could have just been asking you an honest question to have a discussion..

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kind of expected that response. I don't know very much about the guys you highlighted so I thought you may have had some insight.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's this weird stigma around here where people have inferiority complexes because they don't know a lot about the prospects in the upcoming draft.

I personally don't know much about any of the prospects outside the top 15 or so. I'm not ashamed of it, nor am I angry at others for knowing a lot. I just try to soak up as much as my time allows me too.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ya know, he could have just been asking you an honest question to have a discussion..

Kind of expected that response. I don't know very much about the guys you highlighted so I thought you may have had some insight.

I apologize if I was wrong, but I've gotten into it a couple times with you about stuff like this so I figured that was where you were going with it.

Dahlen is a guy that is shooting up the boards it would appear, and leads his team in scoring as a 17 year old. Allard is a defender putting up some good numbers. Howden is a big-bodied guy that looks like he can use his size to his advantage, Kuokkanen is a guy that I literally heard his name for the first time earlier this week, but he looks like he has the potential to have a scoring touch based on what I've read about him, which is what we need, Grundstrom put up decent numbers as a 17 year old in the Swedish league, and Makinen sounds like a boom or bust kind of guy worth taking a shot at.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
The two guys that I want now that we're falling back in the draft is either Julien Gauthier or Michael Mcleod. Both boast pure offensive skills which is what this team needs. There is a good chance that they neither will be there at 17-20 where we might pick.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
The two guys that I want now that we're falling back in the draft is either Julien Gauthier or Michael Mcleod. Both boast pure offensive skills which is what this team needs. There is a good chance that they neither will be there at 17-20 where we might pick.

Gauthier would add a different and much needed dimension to the forward pool. This team could use a legit power forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad