2016 NHL Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
There's this weird stigma around here where people have inferiority complexes because they don't know a lot about the prospects in the upcoming draft.

I personally don't know much about any of the prospects outside the top 15 or so. I'm not ashamed of it, nor am I angry at others for knowing a lot. I just try to soak up as much as my time allows me too.

It's not a weird stigma, it's a necessary one. People want to hear about prospects from people that watch them and have intelligent, informed opinions on them. When people say I want this guy or this guy and can't say why or why not when questioned on it other then "I heard he good" or hes the flavor of the week on the prospects board, it's just drivel. I don't comment on prospects because I don't watch those games (especially not now that I don't have a means to, thanks NHL...) and I'd like to think that most that do comment on them do watch and do pay attention. I appreciate that the people in this thread in particular, check each other to see who does and who does not, have informed opinions on guys when someone says something because it means the information that is here is generally more reliable than others.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
RHD:

Frédéric Allard: CAN: 6'1, 179lbs. RD. RHS.
Luke Green: CAN: 6'1, 186lbs. RD. RHS.
Andrew Peeke: USA: 6'3, 205lbs. RD. RHS.
Filip Hronek: CZE: 6'0, 163lbs. RD. RHS.
Adam Fox: USA: 5'10, 183lbs. RD. RHS.

What about Jordan Sambrook? CAN, 6'2", 185 lbs, RHS, Errie Otters(OHL), 67GP 9G 18A 27P 40PIM +11 and 3 GP 0+2 in PO right now

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is a bit concerning that all Gauither could muster up was 16 assists on a high power offensive team like Val-d'Or.

He's an October birthday, too. The positive side of that is that he could play for the Phantoms in 17-18 if we drafted him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's not a weird stigma, it's a necessary one. People want to hear about prospects from people that watch them and have intelligent, informed opinions on them. When people say I want this guy or this guy and can't say why or why not when questioned on it other then "I heard he good" or hes the flavor of the week on the prospects board, it's just drivel. I don't comment on prospects because I don't watch those games (especially not now that I don't have a means to, thanks NHL...) and I'd like to think that most that do comment on them do watch and do pay attention. I appreciate that the people in this thread in particular, check each other to see who does and who does not, have informed opinions on guys when someone says something because it means the information that is here is generally more reliable than others.

The only time it is a problem is when someone without knowledge acts like they do. I go into it with everyone knowing that my knowledge of these guys comes from random and limited blogs/radio spots/scouting reports/rankings/whatever. The problem is that I don't believe 90% of the posters on here when they say what they are saying, even if they claim to have watched the guy. It is simply too unbelievable that on top of watching every Flyers game, and the games of other NHL teams, and AHL teams, and Phantoms games, that people are also watching games from the CHL, NCAA, and international games. And not only are they watching them...but they are watching them with enough attention that they can comment on specific players in each and every league. It just seems to be a bit much. That's not to say that people don't do that, it just seems like there are way too many people in here with intimate knowledge of every single player in the NHL and junior ranks.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
It is a bit concerning that all Gauither could muster up was 16 assists on a high power offensive team like Val-d'Or.

would still take him personally... from the admittedly small sample size of a half dozen or so league games, prospect game and hilites ive seen hes always stood out if only for his size and finishing, both of which we could use. am always a fan of the size and speed package, rightly or wrongly. think he has the tools to be an talented imposing nhl player. is the fact hes a rw a big deal?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What about Jordan Sambrook? CAN, 6'2", 185 lbs, RHS, Errie Otters(OHL), 67GP 9G 18A 27P 40PIM +11 and 3 GP 0+2 in PO right now

I cannot imagine he goes in the 2nd tbh, 4th would be a better bet... and even if he did I would not take him over those 5... actually maybe over Fox... I have misgivings about Fox's ability to ever play at a higher level tbh despite his skills.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I like Gauthier. If that's who we take, I'd be happy with the decision. Thought he was noticeably pushing play forward in the WJC and I really like his size with the speed. His finishing ability is a positive. So he doesnt have a ton of assists, niether does Ovechkin. This team is mostly playmakers, if we get a guy who finishes plays and helps create them along the boards, I'm all for it. He's also a guy who's been projected as a top 10 pick since last year, so he's got plenty of precedence for being a decent prospect. If he can be our "Anthony Mantha", I'd be ecstatic. I'm sure the Flyers have seen a lot of him just from watching Aube-Kubel and our Q scouts are spot on.

kjbhockey

May 12, 2013
I couldn't agree more. We need a guy who can flat out fill the net since most of our forwards are pass first. I know his goals/assists numbers are a bit lopsided this year but they year before they were almost even.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
A known contrarian who will argue anything --- is cynical? You don't say.

Haha, I'm only a "known contrarian" on a select number of issues and it really is more of just certain people don't agree with me and won't let things go.

As for being cynical...the math just doesn't add up. Just this season we have experts on Anthony Mantha, Cody Hodgson, Philippe Myers, Radel Fazleev, Jonathan Drouin, Nail Yakupov, Sam Morin, and our own NHL players. There's probably more players that you could throw into that list, but just that alone is a lot of hockey to watch if you are also watching every Flyers game. There just isn't enough time to watch all these players to have the informed opinions that people have on these players. Certainly possible to have seen these guys play at different times, but there just isn't enough time to actually watch all these guys play and do it with enough attention to detail to make the statements that are made. The truth is, most people are operating off the same information: the blogs, rankings, and youtube clips that are easily accessible. But you wouldn't know that by how many of the posters around here speak with such confidence about who will do what and who is better than whom etc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If Provorov was placed in this draft where would he end up going?

I honestly think he would go 1st amongst Dmen even knowing only what we knew last year. (ie not knowing how good his draft+1 season would be)

Where would that be overall? Hard to tell... ~#4-6 I think. Though ofc it would depend on who was picking and team need.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Haha, I'm only a "known contrarian" on a select number of issues and it really is more of just certain people don't agree with me and won't let things go.

As for being cynical...the math just doesn't add up. Just this season we have experts on Anthony Mantha, Cody Hodgson, Philippe Myers, Radel Fazleev, Jonathan Drouin, Nail Yakupov, Sam Morin, and our own NHL players. There's probably more players that you could throw into that list, but just that alone is a lot of hockey to watch if you are also watching every Flyers game. There just isn't enough time to watch all these players to have the informed opinions that people have on these players. Certainly possible to have seen these guys play at different times, but there just isn't enough time to actually watch all these guys play and do it with enough attention to detail to make the statements that are made. The truth is, most people are operating off the same information: the blogs, rankings, and youtube clips that are easily accessible. But you wouldn't know that by how many of the posters around here speak with such confidence about who will do what and who is better than whom etc.

You post on a hockey board where there are clearly die hard hockey fans, even outside of just watching the Flyers.

Is it really that hard to believe that a lot of people that post here are spending a considerable amount of their free time watching various levels of hockey?

Being in the west is a benefit to me. I often have two games on the go (a live game from the west and an earlier game on archive from the east). I don't care to watch much hockey below the NHL level, but I can easily understand how someone could be watching junior hockey, AHL hockey, NCAA hockey, as well as NHL hockey.

It's honestly not that difficult to do if hockey is your #1 priority.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
you wouldn't know that by how many of the posters around here speak with such confidence about who will do what and who is better than whom etc.

and won't let things go.

These are absolutely priceless quotes from the guy who confidently and repeatedly assured all of us that Radko Gudas was a dime a dozen, #7 defenseman, and even now is still claiming he hasn't done enough to be considered a top 4 dman on this year's Flyers team.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I honestly think he would go 1st amongst Dmen even knowing only what we knew last year. (ie not knowing how good his draft+1 season would be)

Where would that be overall? Hard to tell... ~#4-6 I think. Though ofc it would depend on who was picking and team need.

For sure the first Dman of this draft. He'd probably go 3rd after Matthews and Laine if that team needs defense (if you're picking top 3 you probably do)

Especially considering what we know now, but even based off last year, rumors were that some teams ranked him 3rd after McDavid and Eichel

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You post on a hockey board where there are clearly die hard hockey fans, even outside of just watching the Flyers.

Is it really that hard to believe that a lot of people that post here are spending a considerable amount of their free time watching various levels of hockey?

Being in the west is a benefit to me. I often have two games on the go (a live game from the west and an earlier game on archive from the east). I don't care to watch much hockey below the NHL level, but I can easily understand how someone could be watching junior hockey, AHL hockey, NCAA hockey, as well as NHL hockey.

It's honestly not that difficult to do if hockey is your #1 priority.

Sure. Someone could theoretically be doing this and I'm sure some people are, but I'd be surprised if all the people on here posting with such certainty were.

These are absolutely priceless quotes from the guy who confidently and repeatedly assured all of us that Radko Gudas was a dime a dozen, #7 defenseman, and even now is still claiming he hasn't done enough to be considered a top 4 dman on this year's Flyers team.

Actually, if you look back at my actual posts from the Coburn trade, up untill you started discussing him with another poster the general consensus was he was a bottom pair guy, some people even wondering if he'd be here next season. So while I was wrong, it isn't like I was some crazy outlier basing their opinions on nothing. It was pretty much the accepted opinion of him that he was a throw-in nothing player. The "dime-a-dozen" comment was actually first made by you, it would seem (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1846039&highlight=gudas&page=25). You can see as that discussion goes on, I ask you very direct questions which you refuse to answer, out of an apparent fear that I am trying to "trap you." I've admitted I was wrong, but don't act like my opinion was based on some fiction or some crazy idea that I was pulling out of thin air. It was the same opinion that most had on the board.

And as for not letting go...funny how it is always you bringing up old arguments. But I'm not letting things go...

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sure. Someone could theoretically be doing this and I'm sure some people are, but I'd be surprised if all the people on here posting with such certainty were.
How many people "post with such certainty" with regard to ALL prospects?

FLYguy, for example, spends a lot of time watching WHL games. He's qualified to post with relative certainty on WHL prospects, and he does. Appleyard watches lots of Euro league games. He's qualified to post with certainty on those prospects. But who are you referring to who speaks with certainty about every prospect?

Notice how few people post with certainty about guys like Tyson Jost and Clayton Keller? Nobody really claims to watch those guys. Most people only speak to the prospects they spend a lot of time watching.

The idea that anyone is watching every player is a myth you've created. Sure, some people talk out of their ass and based on readily available information, but I think you're overstating the instances of this.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

When I had access to the games (HS) I watched every Phantoms game specifically for Morin, and I watched around 50% of the Calgary Hitmen games specifically for Fazleev and Sanheim. It really isn't that hard to do. On top of that I was watching Ottawa 67 games for Konecny every once in a while and even managed to catch a few games of Myers and Aube-Kubel (I didnt watch a lot because of the french broadcasts, it's distracting). It really isn't that hard do it when the resources are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad