2016 NHL Draft - The Shark Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Ducks are getting their **** together. Just 1 point behind the Sharks with one game in hand.

There's a ton of teams in the 52-58 total points bracket. The tank is not over yet...not by a long shot!

The trifecta of suck are still sucking ( Cbus, Toronto, Edmonton ) with Winnipeg, Calgary, and Buffalo wallowing in the same bracket of suckage. It's going to be longshot to get a top 5, but a top 10 is still very much attainable.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can. His skating is great but it sometimes looks like he isn't skating fast because he gets into the lanes early while reading the play. It can sometimes look like he is slower during the play because he is in the right position early. I've seen him beat Barzal, Jost, Harkins, Ronning (easily) in races straight up and also for the puck.

People also comment on Johansen's speed and Fabbro has always been a step ahead of him in every facet including speed.

And the shot...:

Yes, that's him jumping up in the play with speed to add into the attack.

Thank you, great to hear skating isn't a problem for him.

I hope we won't be picking with 3 1st round picks but if we are he sounds promising for one of the later 1sts.

Last edited:

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Concern I have about Fabbro is playing junior hockey competition and not major junior....most players going junior usually go to college so it's a longer route to the NHL, so any team picking him would need to pretty sure he can make it...

will see how it goes...see him a bit (not a lot) in Penticton and interested how rest of his year goes...

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Concern I have about Fabbro is playing junior hockey competition and not major junior....most players going junior usually go to college so it's a longer route to the NHL, so any team picking him would need to pretty sure he can make it...

will see how it goes...see him a bit (not a lot) in Penticton and interested how rest of his year goes...

Valid concern. A the start of the year when people speculated him going to the WHL he was top five.

I would have a concern IF he wasn't one of the best players for Canada at every national tournament outside of the WJCs (which as I stated above don't usually take draft eligible defensemen but rather stick to older players).

Wears a letter at every level of Canadian hockey U17, U18 and U19. Next year when the Bruins have him developing at BU and impressing at camp with his Bruins fandom gear on (Orr fan) we can all sit back at Christmas and watch him play in the WJCs and enjoy his development.

Not many are worried about him or Jost not playing in the WHL. That Pentiction team can handle most if not all USHL teams and a handful of WHL ones as well.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
The Ducks are getting their **** together. Just 1 point behind the Sharks with one game in hand.

There's a ton of teams in the 52-58 total points bracket. The tank is not over yet...not by a long shot!

The trifecta of suck are still sucking ( Cbus, Toronto, Edmonton ) with Winnipeg, Calgary, and Buffalo wallowing in the same bracket of suckage. It's going to be longshot to get a top 5, but a top 10 is still very much attainable.

sharks out of the playoffs is the hope. at least that offers you a shot at one of the top 3 picks. and assuming you don't hit on those, it's still at worst a 14th overall slot.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Big difference between Teir Two and Major Junior. Teir Two and Junior B are basically the same level. Buddy your concern is justified.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Big difference between Teir Two and Major Junior. Teir Two and Junior B are basically the same level. Buddy your concern is justified.

Yeah...I'm not saying he won't make it to NHL, but I believe his stats are inflated against this type of competition. I see a few of the Kelowna Rockets games and to me that level is far superior to BCJHL.

I saw Carlo play last month against a very strong Rockets team and he was very impressive which we saw at the WJC and he was a second round pick.

I'm not saying Fabbri and Jost won't be successful; just need some caution looking too closely at their current stats..

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Valid concern. A the start of the year when people speculated him going to the WHL he was top five.

I would have a concern IF he wasn't one of the best players for Canada at every national tournament outside of the WJCs (which as I stated above don't usually take draft eligible defensemen but rather stick to older players).

Wears a letter at every level of Canadian hockey U17, U18 and U19. Next year when the Bruins have him developing at BU and impressing at camp with his Bruins fandom gear on (Orr fan) we can all sit back at Christmas and watch him play in the WJCs and enjoy his development.

Not many are worried about him or Jost not playing in the WHL. That Pentiction team can handle most if not all USHL teams and a handful of WHL ones as well.

Posted elsewhere too..just saying some caution is needed looking at current stats. Penticton is cream of the crop and has been for years, but some of the competition is pretty weak and goaltending not great in some circumstances.

I don't know if this is a average year for draft eligible players, but I have to admit I'm kinda surprised to see him rated in 10-20 spot.

Hope he progresses though...fan of Bobby Orr so he has to be a good kid!!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Posted elsewhere too..just saying some caution is needed looking at current stats. Penticton is cream of the crop and has been for years, but some of the competition is pretty weak and goaltending not great in some circumstances.

I don't know if this is a average year for draft eligible players, but I have to admit I'm kinda surprised to see him rated in 10-20 spot.

Hope he progresses though...fan of Bobby Orr so he has to be a good kid!!

We have the Rangers and the Junior B Dutchies basically in the same building. Dutchies play out of a different ice pad at the back of the building. Watching both teams the difference is huge skill wise. The Teir Two and Junior B guys are smaller over all with some exceptions and not near the same skill level as the Major A players. There are some players from the lower teir that may become pros but its a longer route and a ton more work. The CHL is the top junior league in the world no comparisons.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
We have the Rangers and the Junior B Dutchies basically in the same building. Dutchies play out of a different ice pad at the back of the building. Watching both teams the difference is huge skill wise. The Teir Two and Junior B guys are smaller over all with some exceptions and not near the same skill level as the Major A players. There are some players from the lower teir that may become pros but its a longer route and a ton more work. The CHL is the top junior league in the world no comparisons.

N one is disagreeing with that at all but Fabbro would be top pairing alternate captain on Seattle in the WHL if he wanted to. In this situation, you take a look at his play in international tournaments (like I posted earlier , U17, U18, U19) and his level of play and that should make a lot of people feel better about the situation.

Bottom line for Fabbro since day one: NCAA. If you have a clear goal in mind for your future then begin to outperform every defenseman in Canada you don't change your goal. CHL is NOT the option for many elite players moving forward.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
N one is disagreeing with that at all but Fabbro would be top pairing alternate captain on Seattle in the WHL if he wanted to. In this situation, you take a look at his play in international tournaments (like I posted earlier , U17, U18, U19) and his level of play and that should make a lot of people feel better about the situation.

Bottom line for Fabbro since day one: NCAA. If you have a clear goal in mind for your future then begin to outperform every defenseman in Canada you don't change your goal. CHL is NOT the option for many elite players moving forward.

I would not say many elite Canadian players but American players yes. although the Rangers have 10 I think and some prospects in the US that are really good. Fabbro is probably a good player. Haven't heard that much about him here in Ontario.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
So much for the Ducks getting hot... Sure, at a Pittsburgh team that's done alright lately, but still. Wake up.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

Like Coach Parker is saying, yes there's a big difference in skill in those two leagues, but Fabbro isn't playing junior B because he's not good enough, but because he can't play major junior and the NCAA after. Would he be aiming at a 100 pts season in a full WHL season? Of course not. Yes is stat are inflated but those stat are still really good and with his overall play a dmen doesn't have to be point machine in junior to be selected 1st round. A 45-50 pts season in the WHL would be enough. Almost a decade ago, Kyle Turris got drafted 3rd overall out of the same BCHL and he did turn out allright even if it tooks him a little bit more time to developp. BCHL guys are more of a project than CHL guys, but they're still far less then High School guys and some of those are taken 1st or 2nd round each years.

And like Coach's said, Fabbro was really good at the Ivan Hlinka last august, so he is proven against is age best players.

Edit: The guy is 4th in PPG in the entire BCHL, that's a dominating performance for a defensmen who can play in his own end.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Duncan Keith played for Penicton in his draft year before going to Michigan State and posted 18 goals, 64 assists and 82 points in 60 games. Fabbro has 13 goals,
46 assists for 59 points in 38 games. Not sure how talented Keith's Penicton team was in comparison, much more to being a compete d-man like Keith, points don't always transfer, etc but it gives a little perspective that he is scoring at a better pace. By no means does that mean he will be as successful as Keith but the production is impressive even for the BCHL level

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Serg 12th at Bob's top30 rankings, he would be a dream pick.
Also mentioned this draft having a big clear top3.

There’s going to be a fierce battle for the consensus No. 4 slot, behind Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi.
Tkachuk currently owns that designation, but four other Top 10 prospects got consideration as the fourth best in this draft – Chychrun at No. 5; Nylander at No. 6; Juolevi at No. 7 and McLeod at No. 9. Dubois received some consideration as a top five pick and Gauthier in the top six.
top 10,

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Tkachuk
Chychrun
Nylander
Juolevi
Dubois
McLeod
Gauthier

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he's there at #12, you almost have to go up and get him.

That's starting to be my #1 plan to fix the defense, elite prospect that gets compared to Provorov talent wise.
Should be cheapest to acquire and lot better option than Dumba/others.

I've been thinking Carolina/Philly picks, they will likely be adding forward talent so Sweeney could try to make a deal with them.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
one interesting player is tage Thompson from uconn late in the first however he carries a few red flags.

The good

He's grown 3-4 inches from the last 2 years and is now 6-5, 185. He's bound to catch up weight wise and sit closer to 220 when he's nhl ready and as a center that's an imposing player. He's put up good numbers as a freshman at uconn, 3rd youngest in ncaa. Comparable freshman numbers to nick bjugstad in his freshman year but probably is getting much more ice time for a normally weak uconn team. Could be a massive upside pick in the 20s if the bruins are picking there.

The bad

His dad is the coach of the Bridgeport sound tigers (islanders AHL affiliate), so it's possible he holds out and signs with the isle after college.

He is quoted as to not liking the feel of boston when he was looking at schools and settled for the laid back feel of storrs. Could be a young kid who just wanted a more traditional college campus feel opposed to city living but either way him singling out boston as a city he didn't like isn't a good look.

If he signs with ny that's another busy city though so he'd either bite the bullet to play for his dad (briefly anyway) or he would sign with a team like Nashville or Arizona where hockey isn't such a hot bed.

Personally I wouldn't take him for those red flags but on first glance I was very interested in his potential. So if any others do a quick check and think he's a good fit, remember those two big flags against the kid before becoming enamoured with him

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
one interesting player is tage Thompson from uconn late in the first however he carries a few red flags.

The good

He's grown 3-4 inches from the last 2 years and is now 6-5, 185. He's bound to catch up weight wise and sit closer to 220 when he's nhl ready and as a center that's an imposing player. He's put up good numbers as a freshman at uconn, 3rd youngest in ncaa. Comparable freshman numbers to nick bjugstad in his freshman year but probably is getting much more ice time for a normally weak uconn team. Could be a massive upside pick in the 20s if the bruins are picking there.

The bad

His dad is the coach of the Bridgeport sound tigers (islanders AHL affiliate), so it's possible he holds out and signs with the isle after college.

He is quoted as to not liking the feel of boston when he was looking at schools and settled for the laid back feel of storrs. Could be a young kid who just wanted a more traditional college campus feel opposed to city living but either way him singling out boston as a city he didn't like isn't a good look.

If he signs with ny that's another busy city though so he'd either bite the bullet to play for his dad (briefly anyway) or he would sign with a team like Nashville or Arizona where hockey isn't such a hot bed.

Personally I wouldn't take him for those red flags but on first glance I was very interested in his potential. So if any others do a quick check and think he's a good fit, remember those two big flags against the kid before becoming enamoured with him

I'm a UConn STH, so I've seen Tage a bit this season. He's big no doubt, although doesn't use his size as much as you'd expect. Think Jimmy Hayes in that regard. Has a fantastic shot, UConn's PP is basically using Max Letunov and Spencer Naas to look for Tage in the high slot. He does have pretty good hands for a big guy, the last home game against Brown he drove into the slot going around 2 guys with some sweet moves. In comparison to Letunov (who was a 2nd rounder for St Louis and is now Arizona property) I think he's behind him talent/experience-wise, but I'm not a scout so who knows!

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
So much for the Ducks getting hot... Sure, at a Pittsburgh team that's done alright lately, but still. Wake up.

They played Gibson in net instead of Anderrson. The latter has been hot, the former not.

Gibson was awful. Look for them to bounce back.

We're in a key stretch right now. I'm confident Anaheim finishes ahead of San Jose. The question for me, is whether Arizona can piece back together their earlier season form, when they were comfortably in third place in the Pacific. They're only four points off the Sharks right now, and get to face them in a week I believe. Sharks have a few tough games coming up as well. If Arizona finishes above San Jose, the latter are out of the play offs (they won't catch Colorado or Nashville for wild card spots if they don't finish top 3 in the Pacific.

Last edited:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Julien Gauthier and Jake Bean would be hitting it out of the park this June ... and hey, might as well keep that "J" thing going and add them to last years crop of Jake, Jakub, JFK, Jeremy, Jesse & Jack.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Duncan Keith played for Penicton in his draft year before going to Michigan State and posted 18 goals, 64 assists and 82 points in 60 games. Fabbro has 13 goals,
46 assists for 59 points in 38 games. Not sure how talented Keith's Penicton team was in comparison, much more to being a compete d-man like Keith, points don't always transfer, etc but it gives a little perspective that he is scoring at a better pace. By no means does that mean he will be as successful as Keith but the production is impressive even for the BCHL level

Great point.

This Penticton Vees team could honestly beat some WHL, OHL and QMJHL teams with the talent on it. BCHL is now the top Junior league for NCAA recruitment. Any kids with a legit shot at a full Tier I NCAA scholarship in B.C. look at the BCHL and actually turn down the WHL teams that come knocking. Hell, he was drafted in the first round and he was open about his goal to play in the NCAA.

BTW, I'll get confirmation, but I know Fabbro skated with one of the Blackhawk defensemen a couple summers ago but wasn't sure enough to post if it was Keith or Seabrook. People have been watching him for years now (especially when the BWC team had Ronning, Barzal, and Fabbro) and the international tournaments or big tournaments when the game is on the line is where Fabbro shines. There is a reason he has a letter every team he plays on.

If you have a 15-20 pick you grab him and then Johansen in the 2nd round with the idea that your other first can be to grab a forward with upside. I know for a fact Fabbro is better than Johansen now but one is in the BCHL playing well while the other is in the WHL on the top pair.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Not a great night - the Bruins gets smoked at home and San Jose blanks the Blackhawks in Chicago. Right now San Jose sits at # 16 and Boston is at # 20.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Okay, so after reading up on Kirk and the great posters on the prospect thread it sounds like the Bruins forward prospects are doing extremely well and will be fighting for spots next spring.

DeBrusk
Senyshyn
Gabrielle
Heinen
Kuraly
JFK

...are all having strong seasons with another tier progressing as well.

On the back end, Carlo, Lauzon, Morrow, Miller and Zboril are the future top prospects with guys like O'Gara showing Providence promise.

Our forward prospect pool is so stacked that it puts the Bruins rankings in the top five in the NHL but that back end has it's best talent already in Boston (Morrow and Miller) trying to learn the game.

I think it's relatively safe to say that right now it's the top three in this years draft that project to be ready to play in the NHL with the rest joining the prospect pools of each franchise and returning to europe, CHL or NCAA.

Does that sound about right to most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad