2016 NHL Draft - The Shark Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
When the Boston Bruins traded Phil Kessel to the Toronto Maple Leafs our board was abuzz with draft thread after draft thread after draft thread filling up with fans following the tank.

And now, history repeats itself with the “Shark Tankâ€. And it’s never too early to start talking potential prospects.

While 2016 may not be as top heavy as the 2015 draft (depending on who you ask), it is once again deep. With the new draft lottery in effect, non-playoff teams have a chance to win three different lotteries: the 1st overall pick, 2nd overall pick and 3rd overall pick.

Auston Matthews is the clear number one. He’s playing in the Swiss League against pros and will show just how good he is. Hash tag #AustonToBoston

Jakub Chychrun is the favorite to go second overall. Deemed by many (yours truly included) to be ahead of where Aaron Ekblad was at the same time. Hash tag #TheRunForChychrun.

There are guys like Max Jones, Matthew Tkachuk, and Olli Juolevi fighting for that 3 to 9 spot. It might come as a shocker that all three are London Knights, but they are a team to watch because when you add Victor Mete to that group, they will set a record with 4 first round NHL picks.

Training camps have begun for most of these kids and the season is just around the corner.

Let the ride begin.

(Mods - can we possibly get a sticky for this?)

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I would have priapism for a decade if we somehow drafted Chychrun.

Or if, somehow, both San José and Boston failed to make the playoffs and the Bruins were awarded two of the first three picks through the revamped lottery. OMG, as the kids say.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I would have priapism for a decade if we somehow drafted Chychrun.

Lou, he's your future franchise d-man and can play in the NHL next season. Absolutely no doubt in my mind and you know how high I was on Ekblad.

If I was GM of the Bruins (can't say if I was Don Sweeney because he is so much better looking) and the Bruins somehow won the first overall pick, I would definitely trade down to number two and pick up the franchise d and other assets at the same time.

If they are outside the top two, I do whatever I can to trade up to that number two.

My own video will be out later in the season

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Lou, he's your future franchise d-man and can play in the NHL next season. Absolutely no doubt in my mind and you know how high I was on Ekblad.

If I was GM of the Bruins (can't say if I was Don Sweeney because he is so much better looking) and the Bruins somehow won the first overall pick, I would definitely trade down to number two and pick up the franchise d and other assets at the same time.

If they are outside the top two, I do whatever I can to trade up to that number two.

My name is Ice Nine and I approve this message.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I just fainted. :nod:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is going to be the best thread next year :laugh:

We've talked about this so much that we need to do whatever it takes to land Chychrun, with him this team would be gold and longterm contenders.

But Dom, you missed my Finns who both have 1st overall potential :shakehead :laugh:

Chychrun, Puljujarvi elite potentials are my top2 wishes and Juolevi 3rd, 2nd best D of the draft and better than Ristolainen/Maatta were at the same age.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is going to be the best thread next year :laugh:

We've talked about this so much that we need to do whatever it takes to land Chychrun, with him this team would be gold and longterm contenders.

But Dom, you missed my Finns who both have 1st overall potential :shakehead :laugh:

Chychrun, Puljujarvi elite potentials are my top2 wishes and Juolevi 3rd, 2nd best D of the draft and better than Ristolainen/Maatta were at the same age.

Actually, I was just pointing out the Knights have 4 "potential" first rounders. That is unheard of and new territory. I wasn't intentionally leaving anyone out. That is what the thread is all about. To discuss anyone available.

I only focus on OHL players because that's who I get to see, counting exhibition and playoffs I'm looking at 100+ games. Unfortunately, that's where my "expertise" ends.

Tomorrow begins a 3 day mini vacation for me. It's the girlfriends birthday and I am taking her away. Can't say where because it's a surprise and I know she reads here.

It's also a time for me to contemplate. It's when things get ramped up with training camps and exhibition games starting. Life has gotten busier and busier and I've lost the passion and the drive.

Maybe it comes back, maybe it doesn't. So I may need the info in this thread just like everyone else.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
Actually, I was just pointing out the Knights have 4 "potential" first rounders. That is unheard of and new territory. I wasn't intentionally leaving anyone out. That is what the thread is all about. To discuss anyone available.

I only focus on OHL players because that's who I get to see, counting exhibition and playoffs I'm looking at 100+ games. Unfortunately, that's where my "expertise" ends.

Tomorrow begins a 3 day mini vacation for me. It's the girlfriends birthday and I am taking her away. Can't say where because it's a surprise and I know she reads here.

It's also a time for me to contemplate. It's when things get ramped up with training camps and exhibition games starting. Life has gotten busier and busier and I've lost the passion and the drive.

Maybe it comes back, maybe it doesn't. So I may need the info in this thread just like everyone else.

Pleeeeaaase don't leave us....we promise we'll change :cry:

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Can someone explain how we possibly ended up with a 1st round pick from a not so stellar team? Is Martin Jones that much of a prospect? What was the thinking of the Sharks?

I want another draft heavy on defense. Only two I'm excited about in the system are Carlo and Zboril.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I missed the knights connection.

Man I want Chychrun badly, that would right away change our prospect ranking and put us longterm contenders, I would love to see the reaction around these boards if we come up with a top3 pick next year.

Also if we end up with Puljujarvi I wouldn't stop smiling all summer, have to go years back before we find a better winger prospect than him, he screams elite and also would make us a deadly team, also he would fit us perfectly.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
People are going to be really disappointed when the Sharks aren't that bad of a team next year. I'm guessing they finish just outside the playoffs while some people think they'll be bottom 3 in the West.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Can someone explain how we possibly ended up with a 1st round pick from a not so stellar team? Is Martin Jones that much of a prospect? What was the thinking of the Sharks?

I want another draft heavy on defense. Only two I'm excited about in the system are Carlo and Zboril.

Sharks are confident they are better than they showed last year.

I don't think they're right.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People are going to be really disappointed when the Sharks aren't that bad of a team next year. I'm guessing they finish just outside the playoffs while some people think they'll be bottom 3 in the West.

Their goalie situation gives us hope to get a top10 pick.

Would be quite amazing to have 5 top20 picks in 2 years time,
with Pasta/Heinen picks from 2014 growing up also already.
Prospect pool should look pretty damm good after next year.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

That's still good news for Boston, as the San José pick becomes a lottery one. In 2016, there will be a separate draw for picks 1 to 3.

Poached from talkinaway's post in the NHL 2016 draft lottery thread:

There are 14 balls, and 4 are chosen - just like your state's Megabucks lottery. That means there are 1001 combinations of four balls. One combination is a dead combination - probably 11-12-13-14. If that gets drawn, they draw again. Of the remaining 1000 combinations, a certain number of combos gets assigned to a team based on the percentage list - for example, if first place is supposed to be 20% to retain the pick, then they get 200 combos. (I haven't memorized the probabilities.)

That's how it worked last year: one draw, one team moved up to first place. This year, it's (at least) three draws. After the first valid draw, that team's picks all join 11-12-13-14 as "dead combos", they put the 14 balls back in the machine, and draw a new set of 4. If it's a dead combo, put the balls back in and draw another 4 from 14. If not, then that team's your second place winner. Do the same for third place.

Thus, any team can win the 1st through 3rd pick, and any team in the top 11 of the standings can be bumped back by three slots (11th can be moved to 14th if 12th, 13th, and 14th win).

Zac Rinaldo*

imagine a first round of jakob chychrun and alex nylander <3

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
how come you don't care for him dom?

i'm also curious what you think about sean day

Have not been overly impressed with Nylander from what I have seen. But I'll let those that have seen him more regularly comment on him. He wouldn't be my choice and I doubt he fits in with Sweeney's plan.

As for Day, I'm in the midst of doing a not so flattering profile on him. He came with high expectations and should have, being given exceptional status. But IMO, hasn't lived up to the potential.

Day has all the tools, elite skating, NHL size, shot, can play physical, just not so sure the hockey sense is there. Just has not been able to put the package all together and I'm hesitant to think he can.

Can he put it all together? Possibly. Will just have to let the season play out and see where it takes him. I just don't see him as a first round pick as of today.

I am often left wondering if Day would have been further along if he didn't go after the exceptional status. Chychrun decided it would be in his best interest not to and to further develop before heading to the OHL. And from what I am told from a person or two in Hockey Canada, no doubt Chychrun would have been granted the status. I think Day should have taken the same route.

Good article from my friend John Matisz http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

And an excellent read on Day prior to his OHL draft by good guy Neate Sager. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...t-hockey-canada-hype-unfair-15-154543445.html This is one you should definitely read

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If we somehow ended up with the top pick I would be more than happy with Matthews, but if I could pick the 2 players I would want it would be Chychrun and Puljujarvi another player to watch is Sam Steel outstanding skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad