GDT: 2016 NHL Draft: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Id take a goalie every draft in the later rounds. Huska and We'll are starting their NCAA careers this fall and are at least 4 to 6 years from the NHL.

Most goalies bust. Having 6 quality prospects is a good thing.

Kuzenstov didn't get drafted right? Invite him to camp!

I am also high on Day. If it's true he's become addicted to working out and is already down to 12% body fat. He could be a big deal.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I cannot remember the last time BN was happy with a Ranger draft day.

08, 09, 11(outside the first), 13(outside Tambellini), 15(outside the 2nd).

Those were good drafts as far as where we were drafting.

And those 2013 guys dropped cause of off ice 'issues', talent was not in question.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
08, 09, 11(outside the first), 13(outside Tambellini), 15(outside the 2nd).

Those were good drafts as far as where we were drafting.

And those 2013 guys dropped cause of off ice 'issues', talent was not in question.

I don't remember you being high on either MDZ and Kreider. And you preferred Lindberg to Werek, which was a good call on your part.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yes, that happens all the time. Don't pay attention to the fact that teams will pay scouts, send them on long road trips, have them file scouting reports, go to organizational meetings, go to the WJC, cross check with other scouts. Doesn't mean anything.

Here is the real story on the Ronning pick....

Gordie Clarke was once trapped at an arena. He had car trouble. Cliff Ronning drove by and saw Gordie, so Ronning gave Clarke a ride. As Clarke got out of the car he said to Cliff Ronning "Hey if you ever need a favor, call me" Fast forward to today. The Rangers are getting ready to pick in the 7th round. All the scouts are done eating ice cream, Clarke see's his phone buzzing, it's a number he doesn't recognize. B.C. area code. So Clarke answers and just hears a voice that says, "It's time for that favor, Gordie". Gordie just cursed, he knew he knows that the old boy network is more important than scouting. Gordie knows what he has to do. So the Rangers draft Ty Ronning.

Cliff Ronning and the old boy network strike again...

I didn't know sarcasm could get ladled on so thick, but are you saying that no kid, the son of an exec, was ever drafted in a late round by an exec, friends with the other exec, over someone more qualified to go in a late round? Cronyism doesn't exist in the NHL?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
After hearing Armstrong ask for Shattenkirk, and what he's turned down, I don't think its going happen unless Shattnkirk nixed extension with the teams that offered (Edm, Bos) and would extend with us. However, Armstrong has to come down on his ask or we'll just wait and sign.

The asking price for Shattenkirk right now is beyond ridiculous.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but someone (Mackenzie, i think) tweeted that Shattenkirk wants 8 years and 6-7million. To get that, he either needs to be signed and traded, or traded to the team that he will sign an 8 year deal with before next year trading deadline. By all accounts, Shattenkirk would love to be a ranger, would be willing to take a small discount of some sort. But it sounds like he's hearing the whispers that the Rangers can't give him the contact he's due and preparing to go for the most money.

And then there's the fact that Brooks has said we aren't pursuing him.

Brooks has been wrong before. They all have, we all have.

who is this guy? I understand his reasoning, but how does he know any of this stuff. It sounds like a guy commenting, not reporting details.

Why does stepan have to be the one going to clear cap space. Maybe the rangers will to go 3deep with stamkos, stepan, brassard. Worked for pittsburgh, been word around the league more teams are thinking thats the way to go. Friedman was just talking about it in his 30for30.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Unfortunately I can see the team of morons we have ruining this team doing something stupid like this. We haven't had a shiny new FA toy since Beaver 4 years ago. That's like an eternity judging by the history of this franchise.

keys numbers 28000 since 2012

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Alright--reading about our picks, I feel a bit better. I would've liked an extra 3rd or 4th for a higher-ranked forward, but it sounds like we picked guys who at least have a shot, and a lot of them were guys who fell due to certain knocks.

Not too bad. I'm pretty excited about the Day and Reunanen picks. Good PMD upside. We need that badly.

Even Ronning sounds like he has a bit of upside, but he just needs to put it together...tenacious forward, with smaller size, so he's a long-shot, but there's some potential there.

All in all, not bad. Here's to some shrewd moves by Gorts.

In Gordie we trust.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I don't remember you being high on either MDZ and Kreider. And you preferred Lindberg to Werek, which was a good call on your part.

Timing my friend, that was back when I gave these guys the benefit of the doubt ;)

I've had hits and misses, we all do if we waste enough time dealing in 18 yr old hockey prospects.

We took
RW-C-LW
D-D
G

Coincidence, or best player taken at every spot? :D

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
I didn't know sarcasm could get ladled on so thick, but are you saying that no kid, the son of an exec, was ever drafted in a late round by an exec, friends with the other exec, over someone more qualified to go in a late round? Cronyism doesn't exist in the NHL?

I'm sure that exists, however it's not like this kid was projected to not get drafted. By all accounts he has some skill, a lot of heart and is a hard worker. Hardly a reach or a favor in the 7th round.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
So much for our connected members of this forum who said there would be trades left and right yesterday.

To be fair. montreal is definitely trying to move Subban to the Oilers for a huge haul. And Im sure the rangers are involved with the Oilers, and the ducks and the wild, and the jackets, and the red wings, and the predators, and maybe the sabres are probably waiting on the rangers. And it is literally a huge bottleneck. rangers won't move any of their guys until they figure out whats going with stamkos and if the oilers are a trading partner, and the oilers won't make a deal with the rangers until they figure out if they can make a deal for Subban...

And one of your connected members here said as much this morning. Subban is holding up everything.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Well Rychel was just shipped off for spare parts. Pretty sure he's the player CBJ took with our first from the Nash deal.

Really the only player that has made any impact in the NHL that was drafted in the area the Rangers would've drafted with any of the firsts they lost is Burakovsky. And even then he just rode Kuznetsov's coattails hard this past season and was useless when they were seperated.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
When and in what context did Freidman name Stamkos and the Rangers?

on the draft coverage on NHL network. Friedmann led the seqway into the rangers/stamkos and then shannon commented. Don't think Friedmann tweeted anything. People here are talking about what was said on tv coverage.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
The last time we signed a 40 goal scorer in his prime as a FA was Gaborik. That worked out pretty well.

NY Rangers sign 27 year old Gaborik for 5 years at 7.5 mill a year.
Gaborik scores 114 goals-115 assists-229 points in 255 games

Gaborik traded for Brassard (25 years old), John Moore (22 years old), and Derek Dorsett (27 years old)

How was that not a great signing?

I can't believe people forget this.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Good signing, but it didn't get them to the finish line. Neither will Stamkos and Primdonna Kovalsuck.

Give me a break.

come on ail. You take that stance bc its easy to. Not bc you know its true.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm sure that exists, however it's not like this kid was projected to not get drafted. By all accounts he has some skill, a lot of heart and is a hard worker. Hardly a reach or a favor in the 7th round.

Yeah, I don't mean Ronning in particular. And certainly nothing so blatant as a reach. But McPhee's dad thought his son was a 2nd round lock, and instead he goes in the 5th? By Edmonton, who also drafts Joel Quenneville's cousin in the 7th?

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003

Maybe. I don't think it happens anymore in hockey. Not in a 7 round draft. Maybe in a 12 round draft it did.

Are you saying Ronning didn't earn being picked on his own?

This isn't a case where Walt Kyle was coaching college hockey and Sather was doing him a favor by drafting his college players. (Which 100% happened in the past)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Carp thinks Holden projected for top 6. That would mean one of Skjei, McIlrath, Girardi, Klein or Staal isn't. I wonder who. Could also just be a #7

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Yeah, I don't mean Ronning in particular. And certainly nothing so blatant as a reach. But McPhee's dad thought his son was a 2nd round lock, and instead he goes in the 5th? By Edmonton, who also drafts Joel Quenneville's cousin in the 7th?

If we were the Canucks maybe I think that.. You have to know also that being connected to like GMGM or Quenneville more than likely means that you can meet some really high quality coaches. Also on a younger level it maybe more common but the NHL is a bit higher stakes to just help out someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad