2016 NHL Draft | Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Hard to fully judge a game like this. Flashes of brilliance from a few players, followed with some poor play from others, and a few no shows that are ranked higher.

With the top 5 consensus of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Chychrun and Tkachuk.

This game has made me a bit more comfortable drafting outside that group. Mcleod, Dubois, Sergachev, Juolevi, Gauthier, Bean, Nylander. No matter where we pick we can all make arguments for who should be drafted with that pick. Basically up untill #15 we are getting a solid prospect, and I am happy about that,

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Still find this a strange comparison, a bigger and rangier Horvat is not a Horvat. Dubois skates better than Horvat did in his draft year, is strong, but not built like a hydrant like Horvat, still has a lot of room on his frame, about 3 inches taller, prefers to play wing and has done so most of the season vs a centerman, naturally more physical and a better playmaker IMO. Just so many things different.

Sounds like an amazing winger to play with Horvat.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm all for drafting Dubois, he's going to be an excellent player.

Hard to fully judge a game like this. Flashes of brilliance from a few players, followed with some poor play from others, and a few no shows that are ranked higher.

With the top 5 consensus of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Chychrun and Tkachuk.

This game has made me a bit more comfortable drafting outside that group. Mcleod, Dubois, Sergachev, Juolevi, Gauthier, Bean, Nylander. No matter where we pick we can all make arguments for who should be drafted with that pick. Basically up untill #15 we are getting a solid prospect, and I am happy about that,

:cheers:

Can't wait for June. If they go for Dubois, I hope they develop him as a centre.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Gauthier would be redundant. We already have him but call him Virtanen. Concur with the rest. McLeod does have that Kess motor in him.

Ya. Skates exactly like Kes. Better hands and more willing passer I'd say. Higher upside I think but similar style.

Edit: shouldn't say upside. More natural talent is what I mean.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Debrincat basically needs someone to "create" the offense, so he can finish.

Abramov was flashy but lacked substance. Speed, puck between legs, but doesn't slow down the game.

Sergachev is so chill, but is too chill at times. His skating is exceptional, generates so much power even with a upright stance. Didn't see much creativity in the offensive zone.

Probably best dman for me in this game was Juolevi, but really no Dman stood out.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
I just gave Bob McKenzie a ride home in an Evo car share! He liked Dubois a lot out there (this was before the 3rd period). We talked about Chychrun's stock dropping a bit since the World Juniors, didn't like him tonight.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Even though defense is a need, Tkachuk, Dubois, and McLeod looked effin sweet tonight..you don't pass on those guys if they're available ...don't see all the hub bub about Sergachev or Bean iah ...Day looked damn good too, it's just too bad the kid has such a huge question mark around him. Didn't like Nylander at all.

Juolevi was the best D imo...either way that top 10 looks solid

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
LaBerge looks a lot like Burrows. This performance will shoot him up the rankings. Take him well before DeBrincat.

Chychryn - looks like he should be a good player but really wasn't in this game. See something of Tinordi type here and I think more questions get asked about him. Rushed and passed the puck into trouble too much indicating maybe lack of vision.

DuBois off this effort jumps up - maybe ahead of Thachuck. Hard to understand why he wasn't on the WJT. Man with boys in this game. Only thing here is you wonder if this is what DuBois is going to be and there may not be much upside.

Sergachev has a pro game. Looks like he could step in right now and play the next 15 to 20 years in the League. Had some trouble on the first goal but overall didn't seem to have to work that hard to stay ahead of the play. Like Joulevi very smooth and effortless skater that looks like he has another gear to go to. Both showed an ability to spread the ice with their passes and positional play.

McLeod showed speed but question his stick handling and puck movement.

Gautier played in spurts but he got a lot rough edges.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
size matters, but doesn't mean small players can't be better than bigger players.

What you think about Johnny Gaudreau?

Gaudreau is incredibly elusive. Just like Kane, he's almost impossible to hit.

I saw DeBrincat get absolutely laid out tonight about three feet away from where I was sitting. Kid didn't do much after that.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
My list right now:

1 Auston Matthews (just by a hair)
2 Patrik Laine
3 Jesse Puljujarv
4 Michael McLeod
5 Olli Juolevi
6. Matthew Tkachuk
7 Jakob Chychrun