2016 NHL Draft | Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Via theFeebster:

YGfzRtm.jpg

Rankings

Bob McKenzie's Pre-Season Rankings (September): http://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099
ISS Rankings: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/
McKeen's top 30 (December): http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-dec-2015/
Hockey Prospect's Top 30: http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings/
Future Considerations Top 30: http://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/
Craig Button's List (Nov): http://www.tsn.ca/forwards-dominate-top-of-2016-nhl-prospect-race-1.391662
Central Scouting's Players To Watch List (November): http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789295

Key Dates

Draft Lottery: ?
NHL Combine: ?
NHL Draft Day(s): June 24-25, 2016

Picks Available

1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round [PIT]
4th Round
6th Round
7th Round [CAR]
7th Round

-- Extra 3rd Round Pick returned in Sutter trade
**3rd Round Pick traded for Andrey Pedan
**5th Round Pick traded for Brandon Prust
-- Extra 7th is Carolina's - received in Lack trade

Past Draft threads
: One

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
with Hammer out and Tanev not being 100% a top 5 pick is looking more likely and that's a good thing long term.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
With the way Hammer has been playng this season i think it benefits us if hes out of the line up.

It would except as poor as he's been he is still miles ahead of Bartowski, Weber, and Sbisa. We just comment more because Hamhuis used to be so good. More minutes for those 3 and even for young kids like Biega and Hutton will result in more mistakes than if Hamhuis were there to eat those minutes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It would except as poor as he's been he is still miles ahead of Bartowski, Weber, and Sbisa. We just comment more because Hamhuis used to be so good. More minutes for those 3 and even for young kids like Biega and Hutton will result in more mistakes than if Hamhuis were there to eat those minutes.

I agree with you. His minutes are way down from previous years, but he's far more, just far more consistent, then those 3. His fumble (leading to the puck hitting his jaw) was really the 1st time I've seen him turn it over like that in years. He doesn't make mistakes like that, very often, not even, I just don't remember him ever doing that. Huge loss for The Vancouver Canucks, as big as it gets, but it's kinda good new for the Tank Party.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Hamhuis is going to be a huge loss during the next 2 months. He is still a guy who can take up 20 min and now we need Sbisa, Bart, Weber or Biega to increase to at least 3-4 minutes a game.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we missed the playoffs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree with you. His minutes are way down from previous years, but he's far more, just far more consistent, then those 3. His fumble (leading to the puck hitting his jaw) was really the 1st time I've seen him turn it over like that in years. He doesn't make mistakes like that, very often, not even, I just don't remember him ever doing that. Huge loss for The Vancouver Canucks, as big as it gets, but it's kinda good new for the Tank Party.

Ya I mean I feel horrible for the guy and as much as I want this team to bottom out I'd gladly undo that play if I could. It's just a horrific injury and one that I think could have longer term results for his psyche even when he heals and returns. But since he is out and we can't undo it, you are right in that it is very likely to impact this team in the way that some of us want to see. I won't call it a silver lining as that would be cold but the result is there nonetheless.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Bellows or Jones for me. That's assuming we're 8-12

Well assuming 1-5 is the usual quintet starting with Matthews and ending with Tkachuk, then the next tier seems to be shaping up as Nylander, Dubois, McLeod, Juolevi, Fabbro, and Sergachev that I would strongly look at. Probably Bellows just at the tail end of that group as well. I would put Jones well outside of that group however unless he picks up his production in the back half of the season. All of those forwards have projectable NHL size - even Nylander - and their production is miles ahead of Jones. Even Virtanen, for all the crap he takes around here, had elite goal totals to go along with his pedestrian PPG in 2014. I wouldn't touch Jones at 8-12 based on his current production.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Well assuming 1-5 is the usual quintet starting with Matthews and ending with Tkachuk, then the next tier seems to be shaping up as Nylander, Dubois, McLeod, Juolevi, Fabbro, and Sergachev that I would strongly look at. Probably Bellows just at the tail end of that group as well. I would put Jones well outside of that group however unless he picks up his production in the back half of the season. All of those forwards have projectable NHL size - even Nylander - and their production is miles ahead of Jones. Even Virtanen, for all the crap he takes around here, had elite goal totals to go along with his pedestrian PPG in 2014. I wouldn't touch Jones at 8-12 based on his current production.

Jones is in a bit of a tricky situation though, one that you'd need a consistent London fan to fully diagnose. How much of his lack of production is due to lack of playing time behind the Tkachuk-Marner-Dvorak juggernaut?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Jones is in a bit of a tricky situation though, one that you'd need a consistent London fan to fully diagnose. How much of his lack of production is due to lack of playing time behind the Tkachuk-Marner-Dvorak juggernaut?

London isnt a one line team lol. Hes 7th in forwards in points.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Maybe so and you're right I would need to see more of him to give a fair assessment of his upside. That said, I think there are surer things in the draft that will be in our range. I'd be very hesitant to pass on any of those in order to take Jones. If we picked 13-17 then for sure he'd be an option, but 8-12 seems high barring an uptick in his production.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Maybe so and you're right I would need to see more of him to give a fair assessment of his upside. That said, I think there are surer things in the draft that will be in our range. I'd be very hesitant to pass on any of those in order to take Jones. If we picked 13-17 then for sure he'd be an option, but 8-12 seems high barring an uptick in his production.

Absolutely. I wouldn't even consider him before 15 in this draft. In order, guys that I'd probably prefer, unless his production spikes considerably, as you stated.

Matthews
Chychrun
Laine
Tkachuk
McLeod
Dubois
Pulujarvi
Nylander
Keller
Bellows
Fabbro
Bean
Sergachyov
Jost
Brown
Gauthier
Juolevi
DeBrincat
Bitten
Abramov
Mascherin

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I would love if we could draft Chychrun. We haven't drafted a defenseman in the first round since Luc Bourdon. If we have the option to get him, make it so. Barring a chance at Matthews of course...

That being said, if we're in the 8-12 range as people theorize we will be, BPA please. Assuming we acquire a 1st round pick at the deadline, use that pick for our pressing organizational need at D.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

I've heard a few London fans say he's the fastest skater on the team. At 6'2 with his strength and tenacity I think he would fit well with what we have. Same with Bellows. I'm not that concerned with his production. He doesn't play with the top 3 and gets less pp time.

Jones/Bellows McCann Boeser
Shinkaruk Horvat Virtanen

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Starting to lean towards Juolevi myself
It helps that I'm always advocating for more Fins on this team :laugh:

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.