2016 NBA Offseason thread - Free Agency,Trades,Hires,etc

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Kevin Durant is planning to host free-agency meetings at a singular location starting July 1, league sources told The Vertical.

Durant’s representatives at Roc Nation are working to solidify invitations with the Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Thunder, league sources said.

The meetings are expected to take place in New York, but teams are still awaiting word on a location.

The Thunder remain the frontrunners to re-sign Durant, likely on a one-plus-one-year deal that will allow Durant to return to free agency in the summer of 2017, league sources said. But more than any other rival suitor, the Warriors have Durant's attention, league sources said.

Durant’s public and private criteria for the free-agent selection process have pertained to a singular focus: the chance to win titles immediately.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kd-planning-to-host-free-agent-meetings-at-single-site-164954322.html?nhp=1

Looks like six teams will get an opportunity to make a sales pitch.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not sure how the Warriors would make it work.

Creative accounting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-warriors-can-afford-to-sign-kevin-durant-043710075.html

Pretty happy about the Ibaka trade. Yes it sucks to lose a payer like him, but to gain Oladipo - who was the #2 pick just three years ago - and a lottery pick this year was just awesome. Some are saying it's a better return than the one we got for Harden. Oladipo and West should make a great backcourt with Waiters coming off the bench, also now have more cap space for this summer and next.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Creative accounting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-warriors-can-afford-to-sign-kevin-durant-043710075.html

Pretty happy about the Ibaka trade. Yes it sucks to lose a payer like him, but to gain Oladipo - who was the #2 pick just three years ago - and a lottery pick this year was just awesome. Some are saying it's a better return than the one we got for Harden. Oladipo and West should make a great backcourt with Waiters coming off the bench, also now have more cap space for this summer and next.
Well the harden trade was terrible. They got a decent center for for a superstar.

Adams is solid don't get me wrong.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Well the harden trade was terrible. They got a decent center for for a superstar.

Adams is solid don't get me wrong.

They decided to pay Ibaka instead of Harden, cant say I blame them though as Im not sure how Westbrook/Harden/Durant could have shared the ball for four more seasons.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
They decided to pay Ibaka instead of Harden, cant say I blame them though as Im not sure how Westbrook/Harden/Durant could have shared the ball for four more seasons.
Well, he would have been coming off the bench like Ginobili. And Ibaka didn't even make it through his deal before they salary dumped him. Its pretty much just cheapness.

The only argument I can see for that trade is that Harden wouldn't get a $200 million shoe deal coming off the bench, and would have left no matter what because of that. I can definitely see that.

Still, they got pennies for him.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I think the Thunder did really well in the Ibaka trade. I thought they fleeced Orlando.

If you look at Ibaka's numbers the past 3 years, he has been declining by every measurable statistic. PPG, RPG, BPG, PER, Win shares, TS%. Everything has been trending downwards. I'm not sure if it's a result of that knee injury or what, but he doesn't seem to be moving the way he could. In 2015 he stepped out and took more 3's but even then his percentages went low. As the Thunder progressed in the playoffs, Ibaka's touches went lower and lower. I don't think he fit Donovan's team.

I think Oldiapo is going to be a replacement and an upgrade over Waiters. The question becomes does he comes off the bench or start. Ilyasova looks to be staying on the roster. He'll take over Ibaka's role of stretch 4. If he can stay healthy, he can shoot 3's at a better clip than Ibaka and not be Kanter level on D. If that's the case, you have the option of putting Roberson at 2 and still have enough spacing for KD and RW to work. Dipo off the bench with Payne, Kanter and Sabonis has the makings for a really good bench unit. Another option is using Roberson as a 4 (like the playoffs) and putting Oldiapo at 2. The kid has improved every season and last season got his 3 pt shooting to league average. With OKC's development (among the best in the league), he's going to break out imo.

I get why Orlando traded for Ibaka. He's the rare unicorn of a stretch 4 that is a rim protector. One of say 5 players that can fit beside Vuc, a post player who can't play D. However the problem with them is a.) Ibaka might be declining and not be a rim protector he is in the past and b.) They may have overpaid for a guy who is going to leave in a year.

It's probably an OK trade for Orlando, I just think if you're giving up that many assets, you shouldn't only get an asset for a year. I think the Thunder won this clean. If Waiters leaves via offersheet, they get an upgrade. Ibaka to Ilyasova isn't enough of a downgrade to offset that. Sabonis is also a wildcard. If his range is legit (rumor has it he's been impressing GMs in workouts with his shooting range), this could be a heist for the Thunder. With how well OKC drafts and develops, it absolutely wouldn't surprise me.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah the Bulls are train wreck right now

Our GM is bragging about the wonderful last 10 years of franchise ,, its rather embarrassing honestly

Jimmy Butler is only thing keeping Bulls from hitting rock bottom again

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pending Miami Heat free-agent center Hassan Whiteside hopes to have his future decided on the first day of free agency next week and emphasized Sunday that he remains open to all potential suitors.

"I really don't think it's about loyalty. I think it's just about [finding] the best situation for myself," Whiteside said. "I didn't say [Miami] wasn't the best situation, but we're going to see what happens. It's not like I'm really counting the Heat out or counting on another team. It's just open."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16542632/miami-heat-center-hassan-whiteside-hopes-decide-free-agent-future-july-1

He should get max offers from multiple teams. That article mentioned the Mavs, Blazers, and Lakers. Apparently the Warriors are interested too but I'd be surprised if that happened.

The Heat are in a tough spot here. He can be a game changer when he's on but I'd still be worried about giving him the max. Sounds like he'd consider leaving even if they do that though so it might not matter.

Woj said to keep an eye on Tyler Johnson as well. He's a RFA and some team could throw a good offer at him. I like him so I hope they match if that happens but they might not be able to.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's crazy. Whiteside lookrd he he'd never be an Nba playe whn Sac drafted him. He was super athletic and that was it. No jumper and not a lot of basketball IQ.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's crazy. Whiteside lookrd he he'd never be an Nba playe whn Sac drafted him. He was super athletic and that was it. No jumper and not a lot of basketball IQ.

That's one thing that hasn't changed.

Everything I'm hearing from Whiteside makes it seem to me like he won't be back in Miami next year.

What he's capable of doing will be tough to replace but I'd be okay with that. Hopefully they could get Horford in that scenario.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They wouldn't of. Plus after the piss-poor finals performance Prestie knew he had to shake things up. Harden was always the outsider out of those 3. Never had the bromance/chemistry West and KD did.

Well, he would have been coming off the bench like Ginobili. And Ibaka didn't even make it through his deal before they salary dumped him. Its pretty much just cheapness.

The only argument I can see for that trade is that Harden wouldn't get a $200 million shoe deal coming off the bench, and would have left no matter what because of that. I can definitely see that.

Still, they got pennies for him.

Harden didn't want to be the 6th man anymore. yes he thrived in that role but he knew he had the talent to start and earn a ton of more money. He was going to leave one way or another and he was going to be an RFA after the season.

Good news tho is we finally got a long-term answer at C out of that deal.
I think Oldiapo is going to be a replacement and an upgrade over Waiters. The question becomes does he comes off the bench or start. Ilyasova looks to be staying on the roster. He'll take over Ibaka's role of stretch 4. If he can stay healthy, he can shoot 3's at a better clip than Ibaka and not be Kanter level on D. If that's the case, you have the option of putting Roberson at 2 and still have enough spacing for KD and RW to work. Dipo off the bench with Payne, Kanter and Sabonis has the makings for a really good bench unit. Another option is using Roberson as a 4 (like the playoffs) and putting Oldiapo at 2. The kid has improved every season and last season got his 3 pt shooting to league average. With OKC's development (among the best in the league), he's going to break out imo.

I get why Orlando traded for Ibaka. He's the rare unicorn of a stretch 4 that is a rim protector. One of say 5 players that can fit beside Vuc, a post player who can't play D. However the problem with them is a.) Ibaka might be declining and not be a rim protector he is in the past and b.) They may have overpaid for a guy who is going to leave in a year.

Oladipo will most likely start. Waiters has fit well into the 6th man role. Ilyasova was playing pretty good with the Piston and befor them the Bucks, nontheless hes a cheap and good option at PWF.

Like a reverse Eddy Curry, or J-Lin if he stayed good.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
- Windy saying negotiations with the Heat aren't going well and Wade will look at other offers. Can't even imagine where else he could go if he wants to get paid

- San Antonio Spurs center Tim Duncan has elected to exercise the $5.6 million player option on his 2016-17 contract – but that is not an indication he’ll return for his 20th NBA season, league sources told The Vertical.

- LeBron declined his option, becoming a free agent

- Dwight has meetings set up with ATL and BOS

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad