Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Development Camp - July 4th-9th, 2016. Niagara Falls, ON

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I saw a highlight of making a nice little drop pass to Bracco who wristed it home. Otherwise, no idea.

I paid close attention to Dzierkals.

In the first scrimmage he had a breakaway and was stopped, he crashed hard into the boards and seemed winded. His speed was excellent and his deke was pretty good. He also made a few very deceptive plays on the puck in the offensive zone over the two games. Dzierkals needs to get a lot stronger but he has excellent offensive talent and he can fly.

I think he'll blow up this season in the QMJHL. I'm excited to see what kind of numbers he can put up. Probably 85-95 points with RN.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
The problem is that a big guy without the hockey sense to know where the play is going to go won't be going into the corner at the same time as the better player, they'll be chasing and never catch up.

I'm sure he has enough hockey sense to know where the play is going otherwise he wouldn't be drafted.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I don't know enough about Middleton to comment too much but I'd rather go against the player who isn't as good a skater or stick skills or the ability to see where the puck is going to go.

Apologies - 4th round is correct. You can cherry pick my comment but the fact remains that his odds of success are low. I will reiterate my original comment that if he is successful, that's great for him and the organization. The comment I had replied to stated fighting as positive, which it no longer is in the NHL. What else can he do at a pro level?

I don't often dislike your posts, but this makes little sense to me. First you state you know little about Middleton, but then you imply that he doesn't have good stick skills or have good hockey IQ. If you weren't trying to imply that, you still completely ignored the importance of physicality and size when battling for the puck in the corner...

In reality, the odds of any fourth rounder having any kind of NHL success is low. So not sure what you're indicating there either....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's not to say a player cannot get better, but skating ability is a big factor in success.

I would have to agree with the other poster. Typically, it cannot be corrected.

I believe it can be corrected we are all blessed with fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. It's the ability to have the body type to get those fast twitch fibers going. Players have become mediocre skaters to become good skaters. The problem is some are poor skaters that they can only become mediocre skaters that they get passed. Getzlaf was not a good skater coming out of junior hockey but he overcame that.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I believe it can be corrected we are all blessed with fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers. It's the ability to have the body type to get those fast twitch fibers going. Players have become mediocre skaters to become good skaters. The problem is some are poor skaters that they can only become mediocre skaters that they get passed. Getzlaf was not a good skater coming out of junior hockey but he overcame that.

Middleton has some hockey sense. He was very good in the 2nd scrimmage. His skating will get better but will it ever get good enough?

Matthew Tkatchuk, Perry, Getzlaf are all mediocre skaters - none of them would likely not ever be drafted as a defencemen.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is more in depth then that. Ankle flextion and calfs have a lot to do with feet...as does your hips etc. You can only improve fast twitch muscle a little.

There is a reason why some players can transition from forwards to backwards and vise versa very well and others struggle. Dion was a prime example of this as his transition skating was very poor. When I say bad feet think of Schenn....his skating was worked on before he was a Jr player and as a NHL player and it will not get any better.

If you could fix bad feet every NHL player would be good skaters and they simply are not.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Middleton has some hockey sense. He was very good in the 2nd scrimmage. His skating will get better but will it ever get good enough?

Matthew Tkatchuk, Perry, Getzlaf are all mediocre skaters - none of them would likely not ever be drafted as a defencemen.

Perry, I worked with as a Bantam when his team won the Kobe cup that year in Peterborough and also with his brother Adam (AJ) along with several others. With Corey we worked on hip extention and skate recovery extensively and saw some improvement as his stride length got longer. His skating stance has widen and he is using his legs more effectively and has become more powerful, yet no one will ever accuse him of being a great skater.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Never said he was a goon, but if you think he gets that contract without the toughness that teams supposedly don't care about you're kidding yourself.

I had talked about goons, not toughness. I can't read minds so I can only go off my quoted post.

I don't often dislike your posts, but this makes little sense to me. First you state you know little about Middleton, but then you imply that he doesn't have good stick skills or have good hockey IQ. If you weren't trying to imply that, you still completely ignored the importance of physicality and size when battling for the puck in the corner...

In reality, the odds of any fourth rounder having any kind of NHL success is low. So not sure what you're indicating there either....

I was indeed not implying that. The importance of physicality in puck battles is overrated these days, in my opinion - Even size to some extent. Some of the strongest guys along the boards in the last 10 years aren't exactly huge a la Crosby, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, even guys like Seguin. They all do have something in common and that's that they are good to great skaters, strong on their skates and have excellent sticks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It is more in depth then that. Ankle flextion and calfs have a lot to do with feet...as does your hips etc. You can only improve fast twitch muscle a little.

There is a reason why some players can transition from forwards to backwards and vise versa very well and others struggle. Dion was a prime example of this as his transition skating was very poor. When I say bad feet think of Schenn....his skating was worked on before he was a Jr player and as a NHL player and it will not get any better.

If you could fix bad feet every NHL player would be good skaters and they simply are not.

There's a huge difference between guys like Schenn/Phaneuf to guys mentioned earlier like Biggs/Ashton. Schenn has played over 500 career games, Phaneuf will play over 1000. If guys like Biggs/Ashton could play they would be playing it's not just skating holding them back. Skating is obviously important but if you have the talent package it can be worked on. Do you believe Biggs and Ashton if they just skated better would be full time NHL players? I don't.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Still not sure who the goon is supposed to be? Is it Middleton and his career high of 66 PIMS? Or career total of 8 fights in 130 OHL games.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I had talked about goons, not toughness. I can't read minds so I can only go off my quoted post.
I read your post just fine, you bolded somebody saying that Middleton could fight and said nobody cares about that any more. I countered with a clear example of a player being valued higher for his toughness/fighting ability. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about the relevance.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Didn't tavares have bad feet?

Yeah, he did.

It's ridiculous to suggest it cannot be developed and improved. Contrary to popular belief, hockey IQ isn't un-trainable. Instincts are natural, and can't be taught, but knowledge of the game and specific situations can be learned through coaching and practice.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There's a huge difference between guys like Schenn/Phaneuf to guys mentioned earlier like Biggs/Ashton. Schenn has played over 500 career games, Phaneuf will play over 1000. If guys like Biggs/Ashton could play they would be playing it's not just skating holding them back. Skating is obviously important but if you have the talent package it can be worked on. Do you believe Biggs and Ashton if they just skated better would be full time NHL players? I don't.

Biggs yes, Ashton no and I mentioned Finn who most definitively would be a NHL D man if it were not for his bad feet.

You can work on improving strength in your legs and change your stride somewhat but bad feet is something that does not go away with more practice...I read so often on here that Barb can fix them....no she can not, if so the player would have been better a long time ago. Players are constantly exposed to skating instructors, most take private lessons or the teams they play on have them. Small adjustments in body posture can improve stride length and speed a little, and that is it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad