Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Development Camp - July 4th-9th, 2016. Niagara Falls, ON

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Hey if we are going to talk rookie talent kudos to Kristen Shilton on the TSN rookie squad

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
ANYONE ELSE wondering why Matthews didnt score more?

Haha, no.

You can't teach a player, size. You can teach the rest. He just got drafted give him a couple of years then see. Guy is huge and can fight. He can be taught the rest.

No one cares about this anymore. The era of the goon is dead.

As a 6th or 7th round pick, whatever he was, my expectations for him are low. If he does turn in to a serviceable player, great. If not, odds were always against him.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Haha, no.

As a 6th or 7th round pick, whatever he was, my expectations for him are low. If he does turn in to a serviceable player, great. If not, odds were always against him.

Maybe so but his size alone is intimidating. Would you rather go into the corner with Middleton or Rielly?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Maybe so but his size alone is intimidating. Would you rather go into the corner with Middleton or Rielly?

The problem is that a big guy without the hockey sense to know where the play is going to go won't be going into the corner at the same time as the better player, they'll be chasing and never catch up.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
~~

Middleton was a 4th round pick and is more than just a goon. Jim Paliafito, our Director of Player Evaluation, drafted him in the OHL draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind this pick too.

If anyone liked Stanley in the 1st round, you'd like Middleton in the 4th round a whole lot more. Wait until Middleton plays on a team like Windsor and I wouldn't be surprised to see the gap close substantially between Middleton and Stanley.

For a team lacking some legitimate size on the back end, he's a good pick up. He's got underrated skill too from what I saw at development camp. If he fails, it has more to do with development than that pick itself.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003

No one? Not one single person cares? Because he can fight does not make him a goon.

The Leafs obviously cared enough to draft him in the 4th round, not the 6th or 7th or whatever he was.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

Milan Lucic just got a $42 million contract.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
The age of the goon is dead, but thats not stopping players like Simmonds, Lucic etc from being huge pieces of teams. Being a good hockey player comes first, but if two players are identical in production/defensive acumen but one can smash seven shades of **** out of 95% of the league you take the one who can chuck knuckles over the other 100% of the time.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The age of the goon is dead, but thats not stopping players like Simmonds, Lucic etc from being huge pieces of teams. Being a good hockey player comes first, but if two players are identical in production/defensive acumen but one can smash seven shades of **** out of 95% of the league you take the one who can chuck knuckles over the other 100% of the time.

Functional toughness has a place in this league for sure.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

I don't know enough about Middleton to comment too much but I'd rather go against the player who isn't as good a skater or stick skills or the ability to see where the puck is going to go.

Milan Lucic just got a $42 million contract.

His contract is quite excessive, I agree, but to discount Milan Lucic to a goon is extremely shortsighted.

No one? Not one single person cares? Because he can fight does not make him a goon.

The Leafs obviously cared enough to draft him in the 4th round, not the 6th or 7th or whatever he was.

Apologies - 4th round is correct. You can cherry pick my comment but the fact remains that his odds of success are low. I will reiterate my original comment that if he is successful, that's great for him and the organization. The comment I had replied to stated fighting as positive, which it no longer is in the NHL. What else can he do at a pro level?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00