Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I just don't know how you can say Leivo is a greater prospect than Grundstrom. Bracco (skill and potential) and Hyman (NHL ready), sure... but Leivo just lacks something IMO. To me, it seems he doesn't have that speed/compete/extra gear to make him a full time impact NHLer.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
I just don't know how you can say Leivo is a greater prospect than Grundstrom. Bracco (skill and potential) and Hyman (NHL ready), sure... but Leivo just lacks something IMO. To me, it seems he doesn't have that speed/compete/extra gear to make him a full time impact NHLer.

I think more highly of Leivo than most, but I do get that he might lack something to compete at the NHL level. Having said that, he's done everything asked of him. He developed properly in junior. He had a very good first year in the AHL, slipped in the 2nd, and had a great comeback year last year, both in the regular season and the playoffs. He's one of our few forward prospects that brings a little size, he's very strong on the boards and can be feisty when the rough stuff starts. IMO he has earned his NHL shot - he either succeeds or he fails but it says a lot to other prospects that he's given a fair shot.

One of the factors here is that we sometimes have an inflated opinion of the players we see very little of. For example, it's really hard to compare a 23 year old that we've seen lots of to an unknown 19 year old (Grundstrom). Similarly, Andreas Johnson is only one year younger than Leivo, has shown nothing in North America yet, but he gets ranked in this poll substantially higher than Leivo. Babcock loves a mix of fast skilled players and some bigger players with decent skills and good puck battling skills, so I'd really like Leivo to get a shot but if Babcock thinks Leivo doesn't have a good enough package of skills then I can live with that.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Hyman and Bracco.

Most likely to play at all in the NHL, Hyman. Will fetch the most at some point in trade and play for another NHL team, Bracco. I think Leivo is expansion draft fodder to this regime, they have have no love for the past GM's picks..

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think more highly of Leivo than most, but I do get that he might lack something to compete at the NHL level. Having said that, he's done everything asked of him. He developed properly in junior. He had a very good first year in the AHL, slipped in the 2nd, and had a great comeback year last year, both in the regular season and the playoffs. He's one of our few forward prospects that brings a little size, he's very strong on the boards and can be feisty when the rough stuff starts. IMO he has earned his NHL shot - he either succeeds or he fails but it says a lot to other prospects that he's given a fair shot.

One of the factors here is that we sometimes have an inflated opinion of the players we see very little of. For example, it's really hard to compare a 23 year old that we've seen lots of to an unknown 19 year old (Grundstrom). Similarly, Andreas Johnson is only one year younger than Leivo, has shown nothing in North America yet, but he gets ranked in this poll substantially higher than Leivo. Babcock loves a mix of fast skilled players and some bigger players with decent skills and good puck battling skills, so I'd really like Leivo to get a shot but if Babcock thinks Leivo doesn't have a good enough package of skills then I can live with that.

He was one of the top 3 forwards for the Marlies in the playoffs & the highest scoring forward. The playoff performance alone should give him a roll with the Leafs to start the season. His 5 goals in 12 NHL games doesn't hurt either.

Over the years probably the biggest knock Leivo has had is that he always got by at what ever level he played without having to put in the extra work. Babcock addressed that last year, he wants him in better shape. If he has an NHL summer this year, he'll probably earn a spot. If not, we'll probably loose him on waivers & someone else we have to convince him that his off ice effort matters.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Personally I think Grundstrom is the 4th best forward in the system. He should have gone much earlier in the draft.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Personally I think Grundstrom is the 4th best forward in the system. He should have gone much earlier in the draft.

So the 3rd forward picked in this years' draft is our 4th best forward prospect? Don't get me wrong, I like the pick, but can you expand on that a little? He seems like a hard working player with some skill, but he doesn't really scream high end top 6 to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille