2016 LA Kings Offseason GDT V: Free Agent Frenzy

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
seems like a few guys are starting to drop out because of undisclosed injuries, or to "focus on rehab". In other words, not risk injury. Benn and keith being the most recent examples.

Unless they decide to not participate in the olympics (i can't imagine this happens), this event will be like the world championships every spring. None of the available top end players for na teams on reasonably good nhl teams will care. (see kings na players the last 2 summers)

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Kopi will have quite a few competitive games in his legs before start of new season in NHL.

Next week (from 1.9. till 4.9.) he'll play for Slovenian NT in Olympic qualification tournament in Belarus (against Belarus, Denmark and Poland) and then he'll fly directly to USA to join his WC Europa team.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Wisniewski still available. I think he'd be a big boost to our top 4 if he could stay healthy. We have way too many defenseman at the moment, so Scuderi/Greene/Forbort would need to be moved for it to even make sense.

EDIT: scratch that he's signed to a try out with Tampa.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Forgot about this...back in 2005 Columbus actually had Anze Kopitar ranked as their #3 prospect, ahead of their eventual selection Gilbert Brule (who they had ranked in the 6-8 range). The Jackets would go with Brule at #6 instead of Kopitar (who dropped to the Kings at #11) because of the view that the Slovenian was a less conventional pick. “I’m not drafting a kid who pushes rocks up a mountain and jumps over milk crates and calls it training” is a quote from Doug MacLean, then-GM of the Jackets on why he passed on Kopitar. Brule had just 95 points in his NHL career before heading to the KHL, while Kopitar has collected 684 across his 764 career games, while widely being thought of as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Forgot about this...back in 2005 Columbus actually had Anze Kopitar ranked as their #3 prospect, ahead of their eventual selection Gilbert Brule (who they had ranked in the 6-8 range). The Jackets would go with Brule at #6 instead of Kopitar (who dropped to the Kings at #11) because of the view that the Slovenian was a less conventional pick. “I’m not drafting a kid who pushes rocks up a mountain and jumps over milk crates and calls it training†is a quote from Doug MacLean, then-GM of the Jackets on why he passed on Kopitar. Brule had just 95 points in his NHL career before heading to the KHL, while Kopitar has collected 684 across his 764 career games, while widely being thought of as one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

and this is why MacLean is now broadcasting.

Remember Brule was originally the player Edmonton tried dumping for Smyth, but they hid his injuries so it turned into Fraser.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Forgot about this...back in 2005 Columbus actually had Anze Kopitar ranked as their #3 prospect, ahead of their eventual selection Gilbert Brule (who they had ranked in the 6-8 range). The Jackets would go with Brule at #6 instead of Kopitar (who dropped to the Kings at #11) because of the view that the Slovenian was a less conventional pick. “I’m not drafting a kid who pushes rocks up a mountain and jumps over milk crates and calls it training†is a quote from Doug MacLean, then-GM of the Jackets on why he passed on Kopitar. Brule had just 95 points in his NHL career before heading to the KHL, while Kopitar has collected 684 across his 764 career games,.

Awesome stuff!! :laugh:

This forum needs more Taylor love, that's for sure. Without the "future-retiring Kings numbers 11 & 32," there aren't 2 Stanley Cup banners in the Staples rafters. (technically bottom chords, but we can call them rafters if you like)

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Awesome stuff!! :laugh:

This forum needs more Taylor love, that's for sure. Without the "future-retiring Kings numbers 11 & 32," there aren't 2 Stanley Cup banners in the Staples rafters. (technically bottom chords, but we can call them rafters if you like)

It was cut from an writing about Columbus choosing Dupois over Puljujärvi.

Taylor did so much good for this club on and off ice.

Remember talking to Dave Taylor in Helsinki in youth tournament that Olli Jokinen was playing and he saying Jokinen is just the player that Kings have been waiting, well he got as Palffy so he was right. ;)
Olli Jokinen owns a NHL record. He played 799 games before his first Play-off game. ;)

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
It was cut from an writing about Columbus choosing Dupois over Puljujärvi.

Taylor did so much good for this club on and off ice.

Remember talking to Dave Taylor in Helsinki in youth tournament that Olli Jokinen was playing and he saying Jokinen is just the player that Kings have been waiting, well he got as Palffy so he was right. ;)
Olli Jokinen owns a NHL record. He played 799 games before his first Play-off game. ;)

Link? I'd like to read that article re. Dubois and Poolparty.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Link? I'd like to read that article re. Dubois and Poolparty.

I think it was from this site: http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/08/truth--tidbits-vol.-3.html

Most of you know this site? http://thehockeywriters.com/ I like their style to write.

Well about Columbus i think little bit goes to GM Kekalainen he is finnish and so is Puljujärvi and there was speculations that its one reason he didnt choose Puljujärvi so wont be labeled choosing from his own country.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wondering how many Slovak (and Czech) teammates of Ziggy's will be on hand. Lubo, Stumpel and Modry come to mind. Might as well throw an invite towards Jaroslav Bednar and Tomas Vlasak. Can't forget Martin Straka, Martin Strbak, Milan Hnilicka and Roman Cechmanek. Igor Liba should also be present.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Wondering how many Slovak (and Czech) teammates of Ziggy's will be on hand. Lubo, Stumpel and Modry come to mind. Might as well throw an invite towards Jaroslav Bednar and Tomas Vlasak. Can't forget Martin Straka, Martin Strbak, Milan Hnilicka and Roman Cechmanek. Igor Liba should also be present.

Robert Lang

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Robert Lang

Ah yes, the guy was oozing with talent but the Kings were too stupid and shortsighted to notice it.

I won't forget that end-to-end goal that he scored against the Rangers.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-01-28/sports/sp-16282_1_ranger-mark-messier
What stood out for the Kings was an outstanding solo effort. There was Wayne Gretzky's astonishing goal in December--a baseball-like drive as he picked the puck out of midair from about 30 feet out. Now there is an early nominee for best Kings' goal of 1994.

Rookie center Robert Lang put on a dazzling, game-stopping end-to-end rush for his first career NHL goal, which pulled the Kings to a 4-4 tie at 15:47 of the third period.

Lang went through the entire Ranger team, carrying the puck out of the Kings' zone and maneuvering down the left wing. Two Ranger defensemen--Zubov and Kevin Lowe made futile dives, but Lang shifted the puck to his backhand and flipped it between goaltender Mike Richter and the left post with a shot from the base of the circle.

The crowd gave Lang a prolonged standing ovation. Lang was called up on Sunday from the minor-league team in Phoenix and this was his third game. He appeared in 11 games for the Kings last season.

First career NHL goals are always memorable, but Lang's effort was something special, like a Pavel Bure rush.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Interesting news here. So the Kings will oversee the development of these kids before they go off to play junior or college hockey and the Kings will likely be seeing and working with many prospects who will wind up being drafted by other organizations.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Does anyone remember how much Kris Russell is asking and how many years?
He`s last contract was 2years 2,6mil AAV.

USE Fi

Sep 20, 2007
Home
Well it`s hard because there is no hockey so i just wan`t to read any news and specially like Jason`s writing.
Another one i like is Player X he really goes deep into the facts in his writing. (holdthepoint.com)
And FrozenRoyalty...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad