2016 LA Kings Offseason GDT V: Free Agent Frenzy

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Folks you shouldn't have gotten your hopes up too much.

The Lawyer speak was in full effect come off-season.

Lombardi doesn't have many options, he can't just start giving roster players away for dumpster picks.

You also can't fill the roster with a bunch of rookies. The cap is stagnant, Toffoli is due a huge raise if he scores 30G again, Pearson is also due a nice raise.

Deal lord if Pearson scores 25+G this coming season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't understand the freaking out. DL made a bunch of value/depth signings, which is a good thing given our depth issues, and looks poised to save MORE money when we make the inevitable trades (i.e. if Purcell takes Kings spot, for example).

Something smells fishy tbh, like a middle pairing d-man/middle six forward trade.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I don't understand the freaking out. DL made a bunch of value/depth signings, which is a good thing given our depth issues, and looks poised to save MORE money when we make the inevitable trades (i.e. if Purcell takes Kings spot, for example).

Something smells fishy tbh, like a middle pairing d-man/middle six forward trade.

it might just be the Frankenstein-esque team Dean is building :laugh:
I gotta say, Dean certainly has surprised me today... theres usually a method to the perceived Lombardi madness. kinda excited to see how the new depth guys work out

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Way too many roster players. Multiple players have to go.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

The only way I see that happening is Lombardi trying to find a cheaper A-Mart alternative.

Or trading someone like Pearson for an upgrade.

King/Clifford/ ETC these type of players net you nothing but lateral moves, or 2-7 round draft picks.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I don't understand the freaking out. DL made a bunch of value/depth signings, which is a good thing given our depth issues, and looks poised to save MORE money when we make the inevitable trades.

I don't think the Kings had that kind of depth issues. I would say there were enough bottom pairing defensman and 4th line forwards on the roster last year.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod · 28m28 minutes ago
Per source, Kings' last offer to Lucic was 8-years, $34M... which is $4.25M AAV. He now makes $8M more over 1 less year in Edmonton

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Any of the three defensman - Doughty, Muzzin or Martinez out for a couple of months and the defense would fail vs our AHL minors squad...

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
No idea why Lombardi would offer Eight years.

I just don't believe that,

Rosen speculated Term was a problem for the Lucic camp.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
I don't understand the freaking out.

It's the yearly July 1 hyperbole. We've had Dean for what, 10 years now, and he's never formed this team through FA. Expecting that to change this year was silly. And like previous years, I'm glad he hasn't (yet) caved in on a stupid contract seeing what other players have signed today.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The Sharks look really good this year. Schlemko was an underrated signing and with Boedker they are even deeper now. Their top 9 is downright scary and up there. Only Florida has about the same deep top 9.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's the yearly July 1 hyperbole. We've had Dean for what, 10 years now, and he's never formed this team through FA. Expecting that to change this year was silly. And like previous years, I'm glad he hasn't (yet) caved in on a stupid contract seeing what other players have signed today.

Yeah, we're not even all the way through day ONE of free agency and we've made more signings thus far than in what, the last 4-5 years combined? FA has never been our pipeline, and very few teams sit on their hands from today thru the beginning of the season.

Way too many roster players. Multiple players have to go.

Way too many roster players and way too many d-prospects in the org period. Even if it's just for picks, DL is turning cheap signings into cap savings and other assets via trade (likely middle picks).

I don't think the Kings had that kind of depth issues. I would say there were enough bottom pairing defensman and 4th line forwards on the roster last year.

I agree with that, but there's a pretty clear reason for each signing, imo. Especially the defensive ones.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
No idea why Lombardi would offer Eight years.

I just don't believe that,

Rosen speculated Term was a problem for the Lucic camp.

Because not every player declines in their 30s and Lucic was a great fit for us. Also Dean gave up a hefty price. I just dont understand why he wouldnt offer 5 mill a year that might have worked. He would be leaving only 2 million on the table.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Because not every player declines in their 30s and Lucic was a great fit for us. Also Dean gave up a hefty price. I just dont understand why he wouldnt offer 5 mill a year that might have worked. He would be leaving only 2 million on the table.

Toffoli/Pearson coming up.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
So what are we looking at now....

Gaborik--Kopitar--Teddy bear
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
King--Lewis--Brown
Clifford--Dowd--Latta
Andreoff, Shore, Nolan

McNabb--Doughty
Muzzin--Martinez
Gravel--Gilbert
Forbort, Greene(is he being bought out or not), Scuderi, Trotman

Quick
Zatkoff

Someone has to move

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
No real upgrades yet, just a bunch of journeymen/ depth signings. At least DL hasn't picked up another awful contract (so far)

I definitely prefer signing guys like purcell now, for cheap, than spunking a 2nd rounder at the deadline on them.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So what are we looking at now....

Gaborik--Kopitar--Teddy bear
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
King--Lewis--Brown
Clifford--Dowd--Latta
Andreoff, Shore, Nolan

McNabb--Doughty
Muzzin--Martinez
Gravel--Gilbert
Forbort, Greene(is he being bought out or not), Scuderi, Trotman

Quick
Zatkoff

Someone has to move

Not really,

You can bury all these (New) guys in the AHL for 900k cap savings.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Any of the three defensman - Doughty, Muzzin or Martinez out for a couple of months and the defense would fail vs our AHL minors squad...

Salary cap. You can't cover every base beforehand. If McNabb, Gravel, and Trotman play well, then everything looks better. If they don't, then it'll be a problem.

Brown takes up 1st line cap space. Same with Gaborik, and Toffoli will too.

All bases with completely proven players can't be done. It wasn't done in 2012 or 2014. Young guys on cheap contracts have to play well somewhere, at some point.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Salary cap. You can't cover every base beforehand. If McNabb, Gravel, and Trotman play well, then everything looks better. If they don't, then it'll be a problem.

Brown takes up 1st line cap space. Same with Gaborik, and Toffoli will too.

All bases with completely proven players can't be done. It wasn't done in 2012 or 2014. Young guys on cheap contracts have to play well somewhere, at some point.

Also every team deals with this.

If the Sharks lose Vlasic to an injury they are screwed, just like the Kings losing Doughty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad