2016 HHOF Class

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Brian sutter deserves it IMO. his stats aren't their but his talents their.

He played that "Sutter game" which was highly respected in the 80's and 90's, which is probably why most of his brothers went so high in the draft... I think Rich and Ron were the biggest busts tho, still useful NHL players but never lived up to the hype or hope some scouts and GM's had for them.

Since we're on the topic of Sutters, I think Brent Sutter certainly belongs in the Hall of "Very Good"..... He had some great years with the Islanders. He had a .88 ppg during his career there in Long Island and also has 2 cups and 4 finals appearances, and it wasn't exactly like he didn't contribute or was a pylon or cog.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
He played that "Sutter game" which was highly respected in the 80's and 90's, which is probably why most of his brothers went so high in the draft... I think Rich and Ron were the biggest busts tho, still useful NHL players but never lived up to the hype or hope some scouts and GM's had for them.

Since we're on the topic of Sutters, I think Brent Sutter certainly belongs in the Hall of "Very Good"..... He had some great years with the Islanders. He had a .88 ppg during his career there in Long Island and also has 2 cups and 4 finals appearances, and it wasn't exactly like he didn't contribute or was a pylon or cog.

I personally agree with you and on top of two of those isles cup runs, I think I'd have to give goring's 81 conn smythe to potvin, and smith's 83 to either Bourne, or bossy.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It's all very confusing. It won't learn to draw to conclusions based on other proof. It's like the anti-pnep bot. Instead of having a table of statistics and other data to support or answer an inquiry, it just ignores discussion and spits out random players...:laugh:

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Gio is just using the Columbo approach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbo

Basically showing that a fair number of non HHOF players have some to significant credentials for consideration.

Interesting approach without getting into the microscopic examination of each possible player.

That's the way I look at it too - that and I also use my memory of the type of players they were...

Obviously stats don't really tell the whole story of a player..... It's paper. Sure a statistic sheet may be good for a resume, but at the same time that resume doesn't really capitulate the type of player that individual was in matters of the game that cant be microscoped by statistics...

Funny because a lot of younger cats disregard my opinions on players because all they can understand is points - and points to them translates into how productive a player really is - when that generally isn't the case unless you're talking about terrible teams.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What about lehtinen, or carbonneau, they were the bob gainey of there generation you could throw peca, in their too 8 selke's combined two with small market teams buffalo, and the isles which the isles were a small market back in the early 2000s

Peca, Lehtinen, no. Carbonneau is the only one that you might have a case with. If Patrice Bergeron is someday going to get some love for the HHOF (he might) then Carbonneau should at least be examined. Offensively he lags behind Bergeron for sure though but Carbonneau's teams were just simply always good and there is a reason for that. The defensive forward obviously isn't as valuable as the 100 point scorer or the 50 goal guy but there are a few that made quite the impact and we can start with Bob Gainey and then if there is a 2nd choice it is probably Carbs. Still not sure he should get in though.

Which defensive defenseman would you choose out of the three Lowe, numminen, or Zubov, numminen, and Lowe would be my picks, and what about vanbiesbrouck, Barrasso, or richter,

Numminen not a chance. It will never happen, he'll have to buy a ticket like the rest of us. Lowe shouldn't be there either. The term "riding on (insert name's) coattails" applies to him. Now, it doesn't mean he didn't have a good career but is Lowe being considered because he was part of 6 cups or because he was an individual talent on his own?

Zubov is a funny one. Part of me says yes, and part of me doesn't disagree that he isn't far from Niedermayer. I guess the problem I have is that he went a long time before garnering a 2nd team all-star in generally a pretty easy era to get one (late 1990s to late 2000s). Is just flat out better than people give him credit for and for whatever reason whether it was being outshone by Leetch in NYR or Hatcher in Dallas he never got his due. He needs a thorough examination in my opinion, an objective one.

As for the goalies, Richter no. Very high points but not enough of them and wasn't considered elite for very long. Fun to watch though and about as flexible of a goalie as you'll find. Was cut from an old cloth where he made saves because he was TRYING to make saves, not because he just closed his eyes and went to his knees and blocked them hoping it hits him somewhere.

Barrasso I have maintained should be in the HHOF. He and Vachon are two goalies that should be in. You don't like some things about Barrasso but the fact that he has less elite seasons than you'd like is okay since his highs are pretty good.

Beezer is pretty close to the HHOF but falls short. Wasn't a good playoff performer until that 1996 run. In fact, that was always a knock against him. When he was good though, he was good. But great? Not quite. So, no.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What about Radek Bonk and Fredrik Modin?

This reminds.me of a thread in the main section of people naming random NHL players.

I'll Play along though and if Trevor Linden never gets traded from the Canucks.......

And no I don't think that he is a HHOF guy or even really close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad