2016 HHOF Class

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
What about Dave Taylor I mean in the 80s when the kings were bad he was their top point getter and when Gretzky came along it wasn't just him that was producing goals and assists you look at Gretzkys numbers yeah definitely a shoe in for the hall but davd Taylor was the heart of the kings not Gretzky, you look at the devils daneyko was the heart of the team but never served as captain. Bruce driver served for two years before scott Stevens came as the captain, then Elias wore it for a season then langenbrunner, for three, parise, for two, then way parise, and Elias keep playing their locks for the hall. I doubt langenbrunner but you never know I think he was a left wing and that was a weak position in his era

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Giotrapani91, you've been posting "what about [insert players name]" type of posts for a while, have you considered trying to understand the approximative line of career value a player has to cross to enter the Hall of Fame?

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
What about lehtinen, or carbonneau, they were the bob gainey of there generation you could throw peca, in their too 8 selke's combined two with small market teams buffalo, and the isles which the isles were a small market back in the early 2000s

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
What about lehtinen, or carbonneau, they were the bob gainey of there generation you could throw peca, in their too 8 selke's combined two with small market teams buffalo, and the isles which the isles were a small market back in the early 2000s

ding ding ding. first time i've agreed with you all thread. carbonneau definitely. the other two guys, well you could talk me into them if i'm in the mood.

far better choices than all those third or fourth tier scoring stars.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
University

Is Clare Drake (Builder) ever going to get in?

Good question. HHOF tends to let the various university halls honour university builders/coaches.

Johnny Mariucci may be viewed as the exception:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mariucci

Except the argument seems to be that his complete body of work from start to finish contributing to the growth of USA hockey is the key factor.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If Drake and Quinn were going to get in, it seems like it should have happened a long time ago.

There could yet be a media push for inducting Quinn posthumously though, that wouldn't surprise me. Unfortunately for Drake, he's probably too far off the radar at this point. Unless there's somebody on the selection committee with a strong CIS/Alberta connection, I rather doubt his name gets raised in those discussions.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Quinn's resume as a coach is obviously far better, given the levels he had success at, but what did he "build"? Drake has a legitimate case as a builder in the literal sense. However, we all know "builders" doesn't exactly mean that as much as it means "not players".

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Which defensive defenseman would you choose out of the three Lowe, numminen, or Zubov, numminen, and Lowe would be my picks, and what about vanbiesbrouck, Barrasso, or richter,

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Which defensive defenseman would you choose out of the three Lowe, numminen, or Zubov, numminen, and Lowe would be my picks, and what about vanbiesbrouck, Barrasso, or richter,

Sergei Zubov wasn't a "defensive defenseman".

That's not to say he wasn't good defensively, but he doesn't carry that label and you can't compare him to the likes of Kevin Lowe. Far different players.

He was a combination of Niedermayer, Karlsson, and Rodney Dangerfield.

Should be in the HOF.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What about Dave Taylor I mean in the 80s when the kings were bad he was their top point getter and when Gretzky came along it wasn't just him that was producing goals and assists you look at Gretzkys numbers yeah definitely a shoe in for the hall but davd Taylor was the heart of the kings not Gretzky, you look at the devils daneyko was the heart of the team but never served as captain. Bruce driver served for two years before scott Stevens came as the captain, then Elias wore it for a season then langenbrunner, for three, parise, for two, then way parise, and Elias keep playing their locks for the hall. I doubt langenbrunner but you never know I think he was a left wing and that was a weak position in his era

It's funny I have Dave Taylor and Brian Sutter in the same "balloon" for some reason.

Both guys had similar careers, obviously Taylor was the "better" of the two offensively but not by much.... Taylor's career PPG was .96 and Sutters was .82... OF course Sutter retired when he was 31 and Taylor played until he was 38.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What about mike richter, or tom Barrasso.

Those guys will be in the US HOF (they probably are) but I don't think either has a shot at the HHOF, obviously I think Richter would have the better chance given Barrasso was such a clown when it came to the media... Barrasso will always have his supporters and get his votes but he won't make it. Mike Vernon is another case.

The problem with these guys is that the late 80's on forward (basically their era) has an incredible amount of HOF goalies - some of he best the game has ever seen. So it's difficult to appreciate what they did given the era they played in...

Sure if there was no Hasek, Belfour, Roy, Brodeur, Cujo, The Cat etc then they would certainly get consideration...

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Those guys will be in the US HOF (they probably are) but I don't think either has a shot at the HHOF, obviously I think Richter would have the better chance given Barrasso was such a clown when it came to the media... Barrasso will always have his supporters and get his votes but he won't make it. Mike Vernon is another case.

The problem with these guys is that the late 80's on forward (basically their era) has an incredible amount of HOF goalies - some of he best the game has ever seen. So it's difficult to appreciate what they did given the era they played in...

Sure if there was no Hasek, Belfour, Roy, Brodeur, Cujo, The Cat etc then they would certainly get consideration...

And plus theirs that stupid myth this goalie is good because he only played for a good team I'm so sick of that cause osgood should be in in the next couple years 401 wins 2:48 GAA less than two and a half goals that ain't bad and he had a real good save % when he retired above 900

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
It's funny I have Dave Taylor and Brian Sutter in the same "balloon" for some reason.

Both guys had similar careers, obviously Taylor was the "better" of the two offensively but not by much.... Taylor's career PPG was .96 and Sutters was .82... OF course Sutter retired when he was 31 and Taylor played until he was 38.

Brian sutter deserves it IMO. his stats aren't their but his talents their.

Last edited:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
You look at the 80s guys like propp Verbeek those guys who were weak wingers, propp had two points less than lanny macdonald and he shouldn't even be in their. But IMO propp had influence on those flyers teams in the 80s.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015

The cat Felix potvin, he ain't a hofer. Vanbiesbrouck was beezer not the cat.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
And plus theirs that stupid myth this goalie is good because he only played for a good team I'm so sick of that cause osgood should be in in the next couple years 401 wins 2:48 GAA less than two and a half goals that ain't bad and he had a real good save % when he retired above 900

I totally agree with you on that one..... Some goalies are treated as basically nothing more than a cardboard cutout sitting in front of the net while defense, system and scoring gets all the credit..... It drives me nuts....

There are two types of goalies IMO, one that is treated as a pylon and all his success is blamed on team success and then you have legit (and rightfully) star players such as Hasek that was indeed one of the best goalies of the 90's and perhaps even into the mid 00's who also happened to play on powerhouse teams, Ottawa wasn't that bad, Detroit was awesome and Hasek basically carried Buffalo for a few seasons...

I mean it's always nice to have a HOF goalie backing your defense, but at the same time it's not like Detroit (with Ozzy or Legace) would have had as much success as they did without them, so I find this whole "this team is so good the goalie should get no credit" absolute garbage.

Look if you're a top 12 goalie in the NHL for 5-10 seasons then obviously you're doing something right and are indeed contributing to the team.

The best part about my argument is that a lot of recent HOF goaltenders didn't have the best records either in Juniors (or their minor teams), so right there we can throw "its the team not the goalie" fallacy out the window, because a lot of great goalies played on some pretty terrible teams coming up in the sport and their numbers backed up the fact they played on terrible teams...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The cat Felix potvin, he ain't a hofer. Vanbiesbrouck was beezer not the cat.

I'm not saying he is or ever was considered at any point in his career - that doesn't change the fact he was a great goalie, and came up big in many PO series...

HOFer NO, Hall of "Very Good" absolutely...

I like Beezer, but the problem with him is he would create a slippery slope for goalies, Richter would have to be next, Vachon (obviously deserves to be in the Hall) but then this opens doors to guy like Legace and Ozzy, Kipper, Tim Thomas or perhaps even a guy like Ryan Miller - but that is the issue the Hall has. Ill even throw Bunny into this mix given how respected the 70's Canadians were....

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
I'm not saying he is or ever was considered at any point in his career - that doesn't change the fact he was a great goalie, and came up big in many PO series...

HOFer NO, Hall of "Very Good" absolutely...

I like Beezer, but the problem with him is he would create a slippery slope for goalies, Richter would have to be next, Vachon (obviously deserves to be in the Hall) but then this opens doors to guy like Legace and Ozzy, Kipper, Tim Thomas or perhaps even a guy like Ryan Miller - but that is the issue the Hall has. Ill even throw Bunny into this mix given how respected the 70's Canadians were....

The advantage that Tim Thomas has is he has two vezinas, and a conn smythe, in only 12 years of playing, miller same thing he has a vezina, and was voted MVP in the 2010 Olympics, I'd put legace in as a sportscaster. Kipprusoff maybe cause those flames teams of the early, Mid 2000s are one that people forget about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad