2016 HHOF Class

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Since this years class is pretty much down with, I figured I may as well start the 2016 thread. Its pretty much for people to post who they think / want to get in, and have various discussions about it.

It seems like a relatively weak year, not many first-timers eligible that are "worthy" of being inducted, which means we could very well see a "Housley" like Andreychuk get inducted, or someone like Makarov who could finally get his chance. I wouldn't be shocked to see a two or three player class.

My Picks -

Mark Recchi
Sergei Makarov
Paul Kariya
Theo Fleury
Pat Quinn
Haley Wickenheiser (if she's eligible - not sure if women have the same rules as Men)

I was tempted to put CuJo in, and realistically he could be chosen this year. Quinn really needs to be inducted, just sucks he won't be around to see it (RIP).

Decent Reference Lists
http://www.tsn.ca/who-highlights-the-2016-hhof-class-1.320567
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...eir-chances-to-make-the-hall-of-fame-in-2016/

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
In keeping up with the HOF's infatuation with average players that put up gaudy career numbers during the 80s and early 90s:

Andreychuk
Nicholls
Turgeon
Damphousse

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
In keeping up with the HOF's infatuation with average players that put up gaudy career numbers during the 80s and early 90s:

Andreychuk
Nicholls
Turgeon
Damphousse

Of those Andreychuk is the worst player. But it is his name that is brought up most frequently. Tim Kerr was better than Andreychuk.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What a weak class. Anyway, I have to think this is the year Recchi gets in.

As for the goalies, Cujo would be a decent choice, but I guess Barrasso and Vachon aren't even on the radar anymore?

If it were up to me:

Sergei Makarov
J.C. Tremblay
Eric Lindros
Paul Kariya

Recchi should get in, however, and he'll deserve it. I can't see them only inducting one guy, and it seems like the Hall will never induct Makarov and Tremblay, so I'm prepared for a bad Housleyesque induction like Andreychuk or Osgood. :(

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Of those Andreychuk is the worst player. But it is his name that is brought up most frequently. Tim Kerr was better than Andreychuk.

I think his name is brought up most frequently because he has 600+ goals and because he holds a certain NHL record. Those guys are certainly better than Andreychuk but they don't have the eye popping career numbers to an outside observer.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Lindros and Makarov should get in. I hope Kariya will too.

I am conflicted with the tragic tale of Kariya. My heart wants him to go in because he was among the best in the game in the late 90's and he had a world of promise taken away from him, but I'd understand if he doesn't.

I never viewed Recchi as elite, but as a 1500 point scorer, I could "accept" his induction. I do think he'll end up in the Hall eventually.

When all is said and done, I'd go with Lindros, Makarov and Kariya for 2016.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Since this years class is pretty much down with, I figured I may as well start the 2016 thread. Its pretty much for people to post who they think / want to get in, and have various discussions about it.

It seems like a relatively weak year, not many first-timers eligible that are "worthy" of being inducted, which means we could very well see a "Housley" like Andreychuk get inducted, or someone like Makarov who could finally get his chance. I wouldn't be shocked to see a two or three player class.

My Picks -

Mark Recchi
Sergei Makarov
Paul Kariya
Theo Fleury

Pat Quinn
Haley Wickenheiser (if she's eligible - not sure if women have the same rules as Men)

I was tempted to put CuJo in, and realistically he could be chosen this year. Quinn really needs to be inducted, just sucks he won't be around to see it (RIP).

Decent Reference Lists
http://www.tsn.ca/who-highlights-the-2016-hhof-class-1.320567
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...eir-chances-to-make-the-hall-of-fame-in-2016/

I don't have any problems with those 4 guys getting in and Makarov is easily the best player of the 4.

As for Andreychuk he was hardly the dynamic player that Housley was and I don't think that anyone needs to seriously worry about his selection.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hope Kariya doesn't get in. Nothing personal against him, but I just don't see how his career is HHOF-quality.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If it's up to me, I'd go with Makarov, Lindros, Kariya, and Recchi. All four were extremely special players.
I think this is about right, though I'm also not sure about Kariya. While I think Kariya was an incredible player, and I'd say he had 8 or 9 really good NHL seasons, I don't know if he dominated or was impactful enough, for long enough, to qualify. He certainly peaked high enough to be a Hall of Famer, but did he maintain it and/or demonstrate that peak in key games when it counted (i.e., playoffs)?

Makarov and Lindros are no-brainers and should have already been in.

Recchi deserves to be in when one considers his incredible consistency + longevity, not to mention Stanley Cups with 3 different teams.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I think this is about right, though I'm also not sure about Kariya. While I think Kariya was an incredible player, and I'd say he had 8 or 9 really good NHL seasons, I don't know if he dominated or was impactful enough, for long enough, to qualify. He certainly peaked high enough to be a Hall of Famer, but did he maintain it and/or demonstrate that peak in key games when it counted (i.e., playoffs)?

Recchi deserves to be in when one considers his incredible consistency + longevity, not to mention Stanley Cups with 3 different teams.
9 is a lot of really good seasons to have.

Andreychuk would be upsetting on many levels but entirely predictable. Osgood would instantly be the worst Hall of Famer of any of the major sports.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Is there a minimum requirement of how many guys should be inducted?

I would personally only induct Makarov and Lindros, as I'm not sure about any of the others.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I would only induct Makarov and Tremblay. Let the others wait a bit longer.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Is there a minimum requirement of how many guys should be inducted?

I would personally only induct Makarov and Lindros, as I'm not sure about any of the others.
Theoretically they could induct 0, but they've always inducted at least 1 (which has only happened twice; 1999 when Gretzky was elected early and got the class to himself and 2007 when they inducted Ciccarelli and had the first 2 women player's inducted in Angela James and Cammi Granato). i'd consider it more likely to see 4 than 2, given their history.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Disagree, he was better than Damphousse.

I hope Kariya doesn't get in. Nothing personal against him, but I just don't see how his career is HHOF-quality.

Respectfully disagree here, it may have been short but so were Bure's, and Neelys careers. Three time 1st AST, two time 2nd AST, for top 10 point finishes, four top 10 goal finishes , two top 10 assist finishes. Both eh and Bure and a 2nd place Hart finish whereas Neely had 0.

I think Kariya has just a s good of a case as Lindros does.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Theoretically they could induct 0, but they've always inducted at least 1 (which has only happened twice; 1999 when Gretzky was elected early and got the class to himself and 2007 when they inducted Ciccarelli and had the first 2 women player's inducted in Angela James and Cammi Granato). i'd consider it more likely to see 4 than 2, given their history.

Ciccarelli was 2010, 2007 was the stacked class with Messier, MacInnis Francis and Stevens.

I feel like they had no intentions of inducting Cicc, but felt they had to include at least one male/NHL player and he was lucky enough to be that guy. That year was likely Lindros' best chance, it was his first year eligible and one of the weakest.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
They had choices beyond Ciccarelli. Howe and Gilmour were inducted the next year but had already been waiting for awhile at that point, and Bure and Oates were inducted 2 years later but had been eligible for a few of years each.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They had choices beyond Ciccarelli. Howe and Gilmour were inducted the next year but had already been waiting for awhile at that point, and Bure and Oates were inducted 2 years later but had been eligible for a few of years each.

Yea I never understood why it took so long for Gilmour, Oates or Bure.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Perfect year to right some past wrongs. Vachon, Makarov and Tremblay.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
What a weak class. Anyway, I have to think this is the year Recchi gets in.

As for the goalies, Cujo would be a decent choice, but I guess Barrasso and Vachon aren't even on the radar anymore?

If it were up to me:

Sergei Makarov
J.C. Tremblay
Eric Lindros
Paul Kariya

Recchi should get in, however, and he'll deserve it. I can't see them only inducting one guy, and it seems like the Hall will never induct Makarov and Tremblay, so I'm prepared for a bad Housleyesque induction like Andreychuk or Osgood. :(

Ideally it is Recchi, Makarov, Lindros. The 4th could be a pass or Kariya or Tremblay or Vachon, Joesph in goal.

Lots of great selections possible.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Neither do I. Was his career any better than Fleury's? I don't think so. In fact I've said on here many times that Fleury is a guy I'd want in a playoff series 8 days a week over Kariya.

Is it possible that Vachon can finally get his due? Or is there still someone on the committee whose dog he ran over?

People talk about Cujo, but in all honesty Vernon and Barrasso (as well as Vachon) get in before him.

I'm fine with Makarov getting in but he just keeps seeming like a name they will continue to ignore.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Neither do I. Was his career any better than Fleury's? I don't think so. In fact I've said on here many times that Fleury is a guy I'd want in a playoff series 8 days a week over Kariya.

Is it possible that Vachon can finally get his due? Or is there still someone on the committee whose dog he ran over?

People talk about Cujo, but in all honesty Vernon and Barrasso (as well as Vachon) get in before him.

I'm fine with Makarov getting in but he just keeps seeming like a name they will continue to ignore.

I would only put Vernon and maybe Vachon in before him.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
First of all, Vernon and Andreychuk have no place whatsoever in the Hall of Fame. (Before I'd have said Andreychuk had no chance in hell of getting in, but after Phil Housley I'm starting to think he might. Nevertheless, he shouldn't.)

Tim Kerr was not better than Damphousse. Kerr was one of the best power-play snipers in hockey history, which is impressive, but he did nothing else of note. (He also couldn't skate.)

I think Kariya is borderline, which seems to be the consensus.

But seriously, what's the hold-up with Eric Lindros?? Other than his career being cut short, he seems to me an obvious first-ballot player. In 8 years with Philly, he scored 659 points in 486 games (+188), was 3rd in NHL PPG during those 8 years (behind only Mario and Jagr), won 4 pieces of elite hardware/awards (including the Hart Trophy), was Top-9 in PPG 8 of 9 seasons (including one with the Rangers), made the Finals as his team's best player and captain, won the Canada Cup. During those 8 years in Philly, he scored points at a higher rate than Selanne, Forsberg, and Gretzky, while also being the League's #1 physical force. He was the Alex Ovechkin of his day, except he scored more points and was bigger and stronger. It's beyond absurd that he's not in the Hall by now (and Phil Housley is... but don't get me started...).

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
BTW, in the front page of NHL.com is a picture of all the inductees. Pronger stands in the middle. Is he really that huge? :amazed: Dude is like a giant compared to the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad