2016 Hall Of Fame Results: Griffey Jr, Piazza inducted into the HoF

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
edmonds is a perfect example of someone who is in the "hall of very good"

had a handful of decent seasons with the angels but never could stay healthy for a full season. his first 6-7 seasons with the cardinals he was easily one of the best CF in baseball if not the best with the bat and glove. his overall numbers are pretty good but hall of fame worthy? i'd say just short.

Just short of the HOF and falling off the ballot after 1 year of eligibility seem miles apart.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Edmonds shouldn't get in but he'd deserve it more than someone like Sammy Sosa. What a joke that'd be.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
moose deserves to be in 100%

one of my all time favorite players. a model of consistency throughout the 90s on some crappy orioles teams

IMO it'd help his case if he became a Yankee a few seasons earlier. Would have some good playoff runs under his belt, maybe some hardware.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Just short of the HOF and falling off the ballot after 1 year of eligibility seem miles apart.

in my opinion he's short of the HOF. in reality, he'll most likely fall off the ballot which is sad for a player who had the career edmonds did

IMO it'd help his case if he became a Yankee a few seasons earlier. Would have some good playoff runs under his belt, maybe some hardware.

true

sucks for moose, he got to the yankees in '01 and retired in '08. they won the WS in 2000 and 2009.....

if only he hadn't retired after his 20 win '08 season and come back for another year

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Fred McGriff .284 .886
Eddie Murray .287 .836

Mike Mussina 270-153 WHIP 1.19
Jim Palmer 268-152 WHIP 1.18

I think Griffey, Piazza, Bagwell, and Raines will get in. Bagwell hit 6 HRs in the minors and 449 in the majors. 16 guys did not vote for Greg Maddux.

Last edited:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
listened to a podcast yesterday where they went through all of the candidates. edmonds, they both agreed, was someone that neither would vote for but neither would have an issue with going in eventually from the veteran's committee. i feel the same way. there was a stretch of time where jim edmonds was one of the very best players in baseball w/r/t his defense and putting up a 154 ops+ with elite defense in his first six years in st. louis.

i think there's a fairly large chasm between "hall of very good" guys like edmonds, evans, lofton, grich and even giles and falling off the ballot after one or two ballots.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I've gotten over the fact that the voters won't vote Edgar in because he was "only" a DH.

Then I'll become upset all over again when Ortiz makes it in 2nd or 3rd ballot on the back of 500 HRs and postseason dramatics.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
It's pretty interesting to see folks arguing about relief pitchers in regards to current closers getting into the HOF vs relievers from the pre "this is my closer, he pitches the 9th inning only in save situations" era. It's really only a comparison in the fact that they both throw off a mound in some ways. The career values are going to be drastically different obviously.

Sep 19, 2008
listened to a podcast yesterday where they went through all of the candidates. edmonds, they both agreed, was someone that neither would vote for but neither would have an issue with going in eventually from the veteran's committee. i feel the same way. there was a stretch of time where jim edmonds was one of the very best players in baseball w/r/t his defense and putting up a 154 ops+ with elite defense in his first six years in st. louis.

i think there's a fairly large chasm between "hall of very good" guys like edmonds, evans, lofton, grich and even giles and falling off the ballot after one or two ballots.
Give me the name of said podcast.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Here's another issue with these idiot writers:

So players that deserve to get in the HOF (I'm not talking about McGwire specifically) might not because this clown makes it a personal agenda to try and show that 10 votes per year is too much. **** off and get a life. This is not the time to try and make it an issue.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
He's the worst kind of clown.

Speaking of Piazza, Marty Noble apparently is so sure he took steroids because he talked to a doctor who treated Piazza back in 2005.

Marty Noble... the guy who only voted for Griffey and Jeff Kent, who he called "the Babe Ruth of 2nd basemen"?

So players that deserve to get in the HOF (I'm not talking about McGwire specifically) might not because this clown makes it a personal agenda to try and show that 10 votes per year is too much. **** off and get a life. This is not the time to try and make it an issue.

You think with these people being published journalists would use their columns, shows, whatever to champion these causes, not the actual ballot.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Marty Noble... the guy who only voted for Griffey and Jeff Kent, who he called "the Babe Ruth of 2nd basemen"?

You think with these people being published journalists would use their columns, shows, whatever to champion these causes, not the actual ballot.

I have no problem with Jeff Kent, but Noble has always been a guy who's on his own damn high horse. He refused to vote for Alomar just for spitting in the face of an umpire. What's ironic about Kent is that he's not exactly an angel. But Kent as a player is a HOFer imo.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
It's just gotten silly and I just wish I could ignore it all but I love baseball too much to.

The best hitter and pitcher of my generation are not in. Moreover, (at least up to this point in time, maybe tonight), a father will take his son to Cooperstown and his son will ask "Dad, it says in my book that Piazza has the most homeruns by a catcher, why isn't he here?" and the dad will have to awkwardly explain how the people in charge think he may have, perhaps done something wrong but they aren't really sure. Then the son will look up with a confused expression and say "but aren't you innocent until proven guilty?" ........let's go get some lunch son......

It's an absolute joke.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I mentioned this man last year but I think it's worth bringing up again. Lawrence Rocca, who is, or at least was at the time he cast his ballot in 2013, a honorary member of BBWAA. That means he no longer covers baseball and he hasn't for over a decade.

In 2013, he voted for Dale Murphy, Tim Raines, and Alan Trammell. In this interview (http://natsgm.com/2013/01/19/natsgm...with-larry-rocca-baseball-hall-of-fame-voter/), he explains why he voted for those three and makes pretty valid points although I don't really buy what he says about Murphy. When he is asked about why he doesn't vote for anyone who played in the "Steroid Era" this is his argument:

“At least for now, I am not voting for anyone who played the bulk of his career in the “steroids era.†Nobody had more power to rid the game of PEDs than the best players, so even those who didn’t use – if there are any – are at least guilty of complicity. Integrity is part of the criteria. Those who did not move to rid the game of PEDs have to get an F for integrity.â€

An idiotic statement if I've ever heard one. I did some research and found that he did cast a ballot in 2014 and substituted Dale Murphy with Jack Morris and Hideo Nomo. Despite the fact that Hideo Nomo played in the "Steroid Era", he justifies breaking his no "Steroid Era" players policy by stating that Nomo gets a "waiver" because of his time in Japan.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
^^

That's opening up a huge can of bees because steroids have been around for a long time. Tom House said he took them, and he ironically was the one who caught Hank Aaron's 715 ball in the bullpen. Also, there's tons of documentation that the 70's Steelers teams took steroids, and I believe Terry Bradshaw has mentioned this in the past. Simply not voting for anyone who played in the 90's is downright dumb.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I have no problem with Jeff Kent, but Noble has always been a guy who's on his own damn high horse. He refused to vote for Alomar just for spitting in the face of an umpire. What's ironic about Kent is that he's not exactly an angel. But Kent as a player is a HOFer imo.

I don't have a problem with Kent either, it's just his ballot only consists of Griffey and Kent, with high praise for Kent who, like you said, wasn't a choir boy (but hey, he probably didn't do steroids... maybe... who knows)... but there's not Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, etc.

I also, personally, reserve calling someone the "Babe Ruth of xxx" for the best 1 or 2 players at that position, sport, whatever. I think Kent is maybe the 10th best 2nd baseman.

I just hate the whole steroids issue. It makes an already flawed process even more flawed by letting these writers become the moral police and "guardians of the game" because they heard from their buddy's doctor that his partner once took a class with the Mets doctor who said that Piazza made a joke about the Cream and the Clear.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so many of these writers are complete idiots

there are already steroid user(s) in the HOF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad