2016 Hall Of Fame Results: Griffey Jr, Piazza inducted into the HoF

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Only thing Sosa really has is the 600 HR's. Using BR's version of WAR he has......

SOSA
WAR: 58.4
WAR7: 43.7
JAWS: 51

AVG HOF RF'er
WAR: 73.2
WAR7: 43.0
JAWS: 58.1

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Sosa's a fringey guy. 70 is like the automatic number that gets you in. He's pretty close to it.

Sep 19, 2008
Griffey is pretty much assured in and may be the first 100%

No player has ever been elected unanimously. Tom Seaver holds the record for garnering the highest percentage of the vote, 98.8% in 1992. (Five not-so-terrific writers didn’t vote for him.) Even if Griffey Jr. doesn't get 100% or pass Seaver, he could at least challenge the biggest percentage by an outfielder: Ty Cobb, who pulled in 98.2% on the first election in 1936.

Such marginalia, of course, is nothing but meaningless fun. This is a pass-fail test. All that matters is the 75% needed for election.
http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/01/05/hall-fame-ballot-preview

Sep 19, 2008
RT @jaysonst We could be headed for an unprecedented HOF election. Ken Griffey was the first player picked in his draft, Mike Piazza the 1,390th in his!

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I am not a Sosa fan, but for five years he dominated the game until Bonds took over.

Is he HOF? Well, with some of the people already in, you can make a case.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hoffman would be such a joke. 28 career WAR, and won absolutely nothing. The only relief pitcher in MLB history that belongs in the BHOF is Mariano Rivera when he's eligible. It's like inducting Bunny Laraque into the HHOF because he was a great backup goalie.

Griffey and Piazza are both definitely going in. After that, who knows.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Sosa gets in, Bonds DEFINITELY should get in.

Side note, feel really bad for Moose. Consistency gets you nowhere these days unless you ave some hardware it seems.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If Sosa gets in, Bonds DEFINITELY should get in.

Side note, feel really bad for Moose. Consistency gets you nowhere these days unless you ave some hardware it seems.

moose deserves to be in 100%

one of my all time favorite players. a model of consistency throughout the 90s on some crappy orioles teams

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Hoffman would be such a joke. 28 career WAR, and won absolutely nothing. The only relief pitcher in MLB history that belongs in the BHOF is Mariano Rivera when he's eligible. It's like inducting Bunny Laraque into the HHOF because he was a great backup goalie.

Griffey and Piazza are both definitely going in. After that, who knows.

No, it's not. It's not at all.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
sosa's peak fwar

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=1109,302

bonds and sosa are nothing alike other than they were baseball players. and one could argue that at that part of bonds's career that he had moved beyond playing baseball and had basically solved it.
And I respect the feedback. First off, let me make it abundantly clear I am not a fan of the circus that was Sammy Sosa. But, using standard statistics he had a five year run that rivals all time greatness. Advanced statistics do indeed throw a wrench in his claim, as they should, and so do the whole PED assumption, but credit do to some pretty amazing offensive years.

600 home runs, PED or not, is nothing to sneeze at. With some names already in and being mentioned, I have a hard time accepting they had more of an impact that Sosa.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
that live ballot right now has edmonds falling off the ballot after this year as of right now.

edmonds is a perfect example of someone who is in the "hall of very good"

had a handful of decent seasons with the angels but never could stay healthy for a full season. his first 6-7 seasons with the cardinals he was easily one of the best CF in baseball if not the best with the bat and glove. his overall numbers are pretty good but hall of fame worthy? i'd say just short.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00