2016 Draft Thread VII (Day 2, Saturday)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Oh Appleyard, you and your logic...JK...thanks for pointing that out. Flyers drafted Hard because it's far too difficult to project goalies. This way they just increase their chances. If they all hit, then we go full LA Kings and start shipping out goalies for 1st round picks. It's a win/win really.

Odds are we Lyon will get first dibs on call ups, Stolarz second, then you wait for any of the other prospects to hit 21-22 and you start giving them a taste of the NHL. The need to add depth at goalie has been there for some time and Hextall is making up for the past 30 years in 3 years...love it.

How do you figure that?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My guess is they want Stolie getting as much work as possible. If Mase goes down and we just need a warm body on the bench and a handful of starts, Lyon is the guy.

Not sure I buy that. Stolarz is the guy that has 2 AHL seasons under his belt. Lyon hasn't played a professional game. Now I'd imagine how they are each playing will factor into the decision but Stolarz should get some games in the NHL this year since they need to make a decision on him by next season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz is waiver eligible for two more years unless he plays 80 NHL games before then. He would have to totally implode to not get a QO a year from now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Stolarz is waiver eligible for two more years unless he plays 80 NHL games before then. He would have to totally implode to not get a QO a year from now.

Right. Forgot goalies are exempt for 4 seasons. Still I don't see how Lyons gets recalled before Stolarz unless he is playing lights out and Stolarz bombs or gets injured. I would guess Hextall looks to fill the backup role for 17-18 from within.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really hope they get something for Neuvirth (assuming he's the one they let go) in a trade instead of keeping him and losing him as a FA.

If he does as well as he did this past season then I wouldn't be shocked to see him return a 1st. Although they'll probably keep him if they're in a playoff spot.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If a call up is needed, I think it will be as simple as whichever goalie has been better up to that point for the Phantoms.

If for some unlucky reason one is needed right off the bat, though, it would be Stolarz.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

4m32s, any idea who's he talking about?

My guess was Jordan Sambrook, a RD in the 5th. And either Ross Colton/Tanner Kaspick in the 4th (the pick they traded out of). Hogberg seemed like a pretty deep sleeper, so they may well have gotten Sambrook in the 5th and Hogberg, who they seem to really be curious about, in the 6th.

My gut tells me they wanted Kaspick, another gritty bottom 6 guy who plays for the Wheaties (gotta raid the Wheaties and Hitmen's cupboards!). Having just gotten their gritty, size, lower ceiling picks in Twarynski and Bunnaman, I'm kind of glad Kaspick got taken 1 before, if that was their target. 3 similar players like this in a row in the 3-4 rounds just seems excessive.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Damn. Would have been nice to get either Ross Colton or Sambrook. I like both. Plus, it would mean they took 3 players from my list, 2 in the late rounds.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not sure I buy that. Stolarz is the guy that has 2 AHL seasons under his belt. Lyon hasn't played a professional game. Now I'd imagine how they are each playing will factor into the decision but Stolarz should get some games in the NHL this year since they need to make a decision on him by next season.

I could see that. My guess is though that in terms of depth chart or organizational ranking, Stolie is #1 AINEC. They've got the most time invested in him and he's shown the most potential. Obviously, some guys haven't had the chance like Lyon and Tomek, but thems the breaks. I just don't envision them making Stolie come up to the NHL to sit on the bench. Presumably, he's the #1 guy in Lehigh. It doesn't make sense to take away Lehigh's #1 goalie and have him set on the bench in the NHL. If they intend to have the callup get some starts in, that's a different story. Then I think it would be Stolie. Like you said as well, if one guy is slumping or ripping it up, that could influence the decision.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Five teams that improved most on NHL draft weekend from Custance with ESPN Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=8015
3. Philadelphia Flyers

When asked which team had the best draft weekend, a veteran scout didn’t even need the question to be finished before he answered.

“Philadelphia,†he said. “Hands down. He who gets the most best players wins. Philly was No. 1. Calgary and Carolina were tied for No. 2.â€

The pick of German Rubtsov was a popular one among multiple executives.

“Rubtsov is a top-10 talent,†one NHL general manager said. “They got a good mix of skill and weighty players.â€

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If the consensus was that Rubtsov was a Top 10 talent, why did GMs let him slide so late?

Seems like most just didn't have the balls to go for it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If the consensus was that Rubtsov was a Top 10 talent, why did GMs let him slide so late?

I think it's more saying that he's as good as someone who would go top 10 in your average draft. Not that a ranking of these exact players in the draft would have him in the top 10. Does that makes sense?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

My thinking is two things, one, he's Russian and two, he was mainly playing in the MHL. Most Russians in the first two rounds in the past draft are either out of the KHL, CHL or USHL. Only one other Russian drafted from the MHL in the last 4 drafts in the top two rounds was Vladislav Kamenev.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

His contract played a hand in it. More & more now a days teams are taking their top guys away from the pro leagues overseas to play here whether be in the AHL or CHL.

With no transfer agreement in place between the NHL & KHL things are harder to work around with contracts compared to other leagues. You also have a situation like Kuznetsov who signed on an additional contract & played there longer than expected. So Washington didn't get him over until he was like 22.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Contract situation, Russian player, he did not play on WJC-U18, meldonium, only played in MHL

he's AT LEAST top 15 talent in this draft. I am really excited that we got him at #22.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Contract situation, Russian player, he did not play on WJC-U18, meldonium, only played in MHL

he's AT LEAST top 15 talent in this draft. I am really excited that we got him at #22.

Yeah agreed. To be honest with you, I believe most teams just didn't do enough homework on the guy. If you watch his highlight video, all the analysts talk about: is how dominant he is and how the coach never takes him off the ice. The highlights are collection of the world tourney clips where they played US and Canada, so the level of competition is higher than the MHL. They were all saying he was clearly the best player in those respective games.

The risk factor here is real in my opinion. Thats why other teams didn't pick him. They didn't have way to mitigate the risk if he never comes over here or his game doesn't translate. All signs point to him being a top line Center, not a 3rd or 2nd like some analysts are stating. He has ALL of the tools to Elite. The biggest gripe about him was his skating, but that clearly was an incorrect report because all Hextall talks about is how great of skater he is. With so much mis-information going around on this kid, someone clearly overlooked or forgot about his past games due to the lack of coverage. I watched that highlight video about 10 times so far, analyzing his play on every second. He has the positioning of Couturier, with the offensive instincts of Kuznetsov. What's crazy is those clips are already far outdated because of his lack of coverage.

Most GMs (business focused leaders) don't want to deal with Risk. However, in this case, Hextall mitigated it by having 4 high draft picks. That's why they took the trade, because they knew it would be SAFER to pick him with a high 2nd to follow it up. By Drafting Laberge the risk of issues with Rubtsov are mitigated by having a second, 1st round caliber player selected.

Even if Rubtsov never comes to the NHL (highly unlikely) the Flyers still can say the draft is a success because they selected Laberge, Allison, and Hart, all very solid picks with top 6 or starter upside. There were only a handful of teams, none in the bottom end of the draft, that had the luxury of so many draft picks. Rubtsov is the highest risk/reward player in the draft, not the only, but the highest potential.

This reminds of the Zacha pickup last year when the Devlis passed on Provorov...though that is dumb because you have a top 10 pick. No need to take a risk there. Also again with the Oilers in 2011 where they took Yakopov at #1 and Klefbom at #19. However, we all know that both of those picks were risky...leading the Oilers to continue making poor moves once again. In our case both Rubstov and Laberge much are safer picks with (IMO) higher upsides.

if you got this far, I rambled a bit.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
His contract played a hand in it. More & more now a days teams are taking their top guys away from the pro leagues overseas to play here whether be in the AHL or CHL.

With no transfer agreement in place between the NHL & KHL things are harder to work around with contracts compared to other leagues. You also have a situation like Kuznetsov who signed on an additional contract & played there longer than expected. So Washington didn't get him over until he was like 22.

and he's a pretty damn good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad